Yellow steering wheel light on dashboard

Hi

I recently bought an octavia 05 elegance, and suddenly a yellow steering light has appeared in the dashboard, at the time my right front wheel was very low in air, also when im driving in a straight line, the steering wheel is slightly turned to the left, so it needs tracking, could this be the solution to the light? My power steering is working fine

Thanks

Check your power steering fluid, I imagine this is your issue!!!

The light should go off once the sensor realises there is fluid in there (you may need to top it up a bit)

otherwise a dealer can reset the fault code.

James

p.s. Welcome to Briskoda.

Edited by jamesk656

Hi Thanks for your help, however the power steering is not hydraulic, its electro mechanical, i.e. it doesnt have any oil, it uses electricity, so any other help would be welcome, thanks

Really? I thought Octys had hydraulic power steering, and Fabics had some electrical solution. I wonder why my car has a tank for hydraulic fluid for the steering fitted to it?

Incorrect tracking does not bring up a light on the dash. Maybe if your car is fitted with tyre pressure sensors that might bring up a light on the dash.

Otherwise maybe it is a warning about the slip disk contacts in the steering wheel suggesting a problem with the Airbags. I don't have my owners guide with me to look up the fault lights.

Guest westallc

please tell us why in octavia's we all have a hydraulic fluid tank and hydraulic lines to the steering rack??? i guess there just for show???

lol

please tell us why in octavia's we all have a hydraulic fluid tank and hydraulic lines to the steering rack??? i guess there just for show???

lol

:+1:

Must be just for show, or just to add some unnecessary weight to our cars :giggle: Or why we have a PAS pump being driven from the aux drive belt. :wonder:

Hi Thanks for your help, however the power steering is not hydraulic, its electro mechanical, i.e. it doesnt have any oil, it uses electricity, so any other help would be welcome, thanks

there's your issue then, you don't need to top up the fluid you need to top up the electricity - that should turn the light off :giggle:

there's your issue then, you don't need to top up the fluid you need to top up the electricity - that should turn the light off :giggle:

Better buy a new battery. That should solve the problem :rofl:

Only the MK2 has electro mechanical steering, even then there is still power steering fluid. IIRC the MK1 Octavia uses a conventional power steering system, and I am sure my MK1 vRS had a power steering resevoir.

The electro mechanical steering uses electricity to drive the power steering pump rather than the conventional means of using the engine, there is still fluid involved.

On the Fabia the power steering fluid resevoir is located underneath the battery tray and quiet difficult to get at, and you wouldnt know it was there. Maybe the Mk1 octy is in the same place.

Guest westallc

no the mk1 octy stares at you in the face under the coolant res lol

all mk1 octys have fluid system

all mk2 have a fluid system just the pump is operated differnently

or maybe we are all wrong lol

sorry guys my octavia is mk2, i must have posted in the wrong section, however it does have an electro mechanical steering wheel

I think you still have steering fluid, it's just pumped electrically instead of via an engine driven pump. Check your Drivers Handbook.