Change wheel on xmas eve!

thelioncub

Hi all,

I'm in a complete state today and can't find the right threads to help with a very simple questions.

How do I change my front pass side wheel using only the tools that came with car?

My boss insists I work today until we are all sent home for Christmas, which could be as late as 3.

2 weeks ago some *****hole let me wheel down and I got stranded. Today I got 2 mins from home and the other wheel is now flat.

I couldn't pump it up (wouldn't take the air) so had to drive home on the rims. (Because we have no breakdown cover, and suspect they wouldn't help until after Xmas anyway)

The car is parked at home, on ice, and I need to get the spare on tonight because we'd actually like to see our family for Christmas! - also because if the tyre can be saved, we want to save it now as leaving it as it is will surely damage it? (Garage isn't open until 4th so no help there)

Can anyone help a very depressed girl by finding some pics of how I do this, or perhaps give me some tips.

The manual says something about a block of wood with a groove on it, but we don't have that - do we realllly need it?

Thanks in advance!

This is quite thorough (don't be put off by the person being young as it's for a supervised project). don't worry if you don't have anything to chock the wheels up with, if you're jacking the back end up make sure you leave the car in 1st gear, if it's the front (as it is in our case ensure the handbrake is on nice and tight and leave it in 1st anyway as the other front wheel will be on the floor still

Hope this helps :thumbup:

Edited by ricardo_smooth

Without trying to sound patronizing if you really have no idea of how to change the wheel then I would not recommend you trying to change the wheel with the std scissor jack - especially on an icy surface, you must know someone local who can do this for you, a friend or neighbor perhaps?

If you have driven the car more than a few yards on a flat tyre then you can safely assume the tyre will be damaged beyond repair.

Without trying to sound patronizing if you really have no idea of how to change the wheel then I would not recommend you trying to change the wheel with the std scissor jack - especially on an icy surface, you must know someone local who can do this for you, a friend or neighbor perhaps?

If you have driven the car more than a few yards on a flat tyre then you can safely assume the tyre will be damaged beyond repair.

Not patronizing at all.. I totally agree with you... only I have no choice

:(

I have hope that the tyre is ok - when someone let the last one down I'd driven quite a bit further before I realised what was going on, and that tyre survived ok.

There isn't anyone I can ask - the local garage who helped last time will be closed by the time my boss lets me go home, the neighbours can barely walk to their own car, never mind jack mine up. Everyone else has pretty much left already.

Gonna have to give it a go.. wish me luck!

Edited by thelioncub

If your car is parked on ice I think it would be a very good idea to dig out the area where the base of the jack is going to be, otherwise it could slip once the car is jacked up and leave your car dumped on the ground.

If your car is parked on ice I think it would be a very good idea to dig out the area where the base of the jack is going to be, otherwise it could slip once the car is jacked up and leave your car dumped on the ground.

Yeah good plan!

It's patchy ice, so I'm hoping that it's not too bad directly under jack point. Def gonna try and shift that first tho - and might ask the neighbour to move his car parked right in front, just in case mine does slip off! (He won't be happy with that - even getting off sofa is too much effort for him.. lol)

i carry tyre weld and a compressor in the boot for such occasions, is there not a tyre place near where you live ?

you say the tyre from before survived ?

chances are its f**ked inside from driving on it, would be worth getting a garage to take it off and check it out, dont want any accidents

Any person who doesn't know how to change a wheel shouldn't own a license. My gf even knows how to change a wheel

How is that helping? The OP needs help, not attacked for being less skilled than you think they should be.

I wouldnt recommend the scissor jack to lift the car unless its an emergency - which it obviously is.

A small tip - try and park the side of the car that needs the wheel changed close to the kerb (i know this sounds awkward, but hear me out) place the jack under the car and rest it against the kerb to give it extra stability - even if it is icy the jack wont slide if its resting on the kerb! :)

Hope that helps??

and you knew how to do this from birth right????

everyone has to learn.........

No I'm not saying I did but all I meant was I think it should be part of your driving test to change a wheel!! Sorry if I worded it incorrect but that's just my 50p

Thanks for all the tips everyone.

Actually it turned out that I knew the theory of changing a wheel, only I lacked the sheer strength!

The jack was easy, but it took me and OH an hour to get 2 of the 5 nuts off - we jumped on, kicked, and hammered before the damn things loosened!

Then another hour to get the wheel off and spare on - it seemed to have welded itself on! The fact that I couldn't even lift the wheels didn't really help either.

:(

The kerb tip def made a lot of sense - just a shame the kerb was on the other side of the car in this case (and not in a place where I could turn it around)

All in all, job done fairly well considering. Spare is on now as the water test shows a leak between the tyre and the wheel - on the edge (seal?)

Now just waiting for garages to open.

Thanks again - hope you've all had a great Christmas.

Couple of tips for the near future to the OP, buy an extendable wheel wrench - lots of places sell them - that should take care of the really tight bolts, second tip is to buy some "copper ease" or any other thing that gets described as a copper loaded lubricant - lots of places like Halfords sell it, and take off all four wheels and apply this stuff sparingly to the area of the hubs that the wheels rest against - that will mean no more "welded on" surprises next time. You should really look into getting breakdown support if you can not support yourself - maybe your insurance company and assist in that cheaply - once bitten twice shy and all that!!

Edited by rum4mo