Why did you buy a vRS. . .

I was looking on autotrader whislt bored, and all things roughly equal, like age and milage there's not all that much in it between the Fabia vRS and the Ibiza Cupra TDi price wise albeit slighly cheaper for the Fabia.

Considering a lot of members end up adding various bits from this car anyway, like the SEAT FMIC, the bushes (although not usually through choice), the front braces, brakes (although not the Cupra's Brembos or APs granted just the 312's), the PD160 intake, and the bigger turbo (think it shared the turbo with the PD150's).

Then there's the fact that on paper, the Cupra is 2 seconds faster to 60, and only does 2-3MPG less, is meant to handle better, but has stuff like digital climate control, eletric folding mirrors, ESP, side airbags and airbag off switch as standard - I just wondered why you chose the Fabia?

I'm not saying it's the wrong choice, but was more curious, esp. if you're buying with the intention of upgrading - in which case the Cupra looks like a MUCH better option financially.

Because it's such a girls car, the fabia looks better and is in my eyes 'a sleeper' when finished :giggle:

have to agree with pip the fabia looks better and is alot cheaper to buy etc

Guest BigJase88

when i was looking i loved the look of the vrs....

my dad said look for an ibiza...

so i did....

and all i found was a horrible FR (obviously didn't look well enough) as i thought the cupra's were petrols....

if i knew the pd160 cupra existed i would of bought it in a heartbeat

Didn't particularly like the interior and prefer the shape and look of the vRS. Agree on the spec issue though, it is tempting. Also, think values of the Cupra TDI have fallen more on the 2nd hand market too, for some reason. Not sure why - more expensive insurance category could be one reason. But there used to be more of a gap between them and 2nd hand vRSes.

Did own a PD130 Sport model (before the FR replaced it) after my 1st vRS and the Skoda's a nicer place to be.

It's horses for courses though, as a car that people might just want to use 'out of the box' and not modify it makes a great deal of sense.... if you like the look of them.

Seen race footage between MINI COOPER & Fabia VRS (on which the Fabia VRS was faster) also the Fabia was 4 door.

Same here. Plus to get a Cupra TDI 5 door is like trying to find hens teeth. They do look a bit girly too.

Not sure why - more expensive insurance category could be one reason.

Being 19 and only 2 NCB my exact reasons for getting a VRs fastest / well built for what i was willing to pay and insurance would allow. :thumbup:

Andrew

just looked at the insurance groups

Ibiza. Group 15

Fabia.Group 9

I'm 20 years old so group 15 would be a big no no.

Exactly a difference of 6 insurance groups for what really? I'm never going to take it to the limits often enough (on the track) to notice the difference that im "missing" and i feel the VRs has a better stance, the ibiza looks girleee :p

Andrew

I can insure an (old grouping) group 12 for about £200 more than the Fabia at 19 and 1 month. . . (although being insurance, who knows if that will increase evenly for all groups!)

*Edit* got a quote - £1149 for the Polo (g12), £1264 for the vRS (g9), and a tiny £2537 for a Cupra(g15)! Can see why younger people don't bother!

Seen race footage between MINI COOPER & Fabia VRS (on which the Fabia VRS was faster) also the Fabia was 4 door.

In fairness, the Cupra would surely be faster still? ;)

Edited by TriggerFish

.....because its a skoda, and everyone thinks there rubbish :)

Although i would like doors that dont leak. I think cardboard doors would operate better than the standard fabia ones, but still, love the car :)

When I was looking at cars I whittled the choice down to a Bini Cooper, Fiesta Diesel or the vRS.

The Fiesta had a good write up with good ride quality, however there was no 2nd hand diesel at the Ford dealers at that time. (I couldn't test drive one). From Previously owning a Metro I thought a Bini was a good choice. I still think it looks better than the Fabia (both mk1 and mk2), both on the outside and inside. However when I took it on a test drive I found it very cramped (almost like a Tardice in reverse, ie. much bigger on outside than in). It only had 4 seats not 5, and a tiny boot whith no spare wheel in. For the same price of a 3-4 year old Bini, I bought a 2 year old Fabia, which of couse came with the last years worth of manufactures warranty.

The other reason was a year before my mother had bought a 1.9TDI Fabia from the same dealers, so most of the controls etc. were familiar. I'm still glad I bought it. :D I love the performance, torque, economy and the advantage, being diesel, it's hard to stall, (I stalled the Bini a few times). :D

In fairness, the Cupra would surely be faster still? ;)

I wonder where a Cooper S would be if it raced a vRS and a Cupra TDI?

Edited by Jim H

My brother has the Ibiza FR 1.9TDi and it doesnt feel aswel made. The Dash is rock hard plastic, the gear knob isnt nice to use ( a weird shape) and the seats feel alot less supportive.

Fabia is a much better all rounder than the ibiza.

I wonder where a Cooper S would be if it raced a vRS and a Cupra TDI? Or even a remaped Fabia with a few suspension mods.

Waaaay off in the distance? It was only power that won it for the Fabia wasn't it? So it's advantage would be gone due to the SCharger? They said in the corners the MINI was far better IIRC.

Edited by TriggerFish

Gen1 Mini Cooper-S with the s/charger would be ahead. That's where I'd place my money. Just ahead on power against the Cupra but better handled and power to weight. As stated the vRS won that test due to a bit more power and grunt, but the Mini was better through the bends.

I'm sure someone will come along and say with a remap the Fabia would be quicker, but you could always tweak the MCS too of course :)

I picked the Fabia over the Seat as nobody i knew around me had a VRS - but 2 of my friends have Ibiza Cupra's bothe are 3drs - and I really needed a 5dr. The fabia interior is a nicer place to be - even with the white seats!

Plus I love the underdog! :)

when I was looking to change cars I wanted something about the size of a Fabia/Ibiza and kinda needed a diesel for the commute, neither are particularly good looking but IMO the Fabia is fugly and where it counts the Cupra has a better spec - climate control not A/C, ESP not ASR, decent FMIC not a poxy little SMIC, bigger turbo, bigger brakes.

The Cupra goes, stops and turns better than the Fabia and the time I spend in the car is taking up by driving, I don't often find myself caressing the dash so the soft touch plastics are a non-issue

I would have had one if it wasn't for the insurance, paying enough for the fabia as it is lol but I do like the extra performance of the ibiza tbh. But they are so hard to find??