Not a good day...

Lost all boost while accelerating this afternoon, accompanied by plumes of white smoke. Crawled down to the nearest layby and got recovered from there. Recovery guy reckons it's the turbo, but obviously I need all the pipework connections checked over first. No indications at all before this point that things were amiss.

Engine won't fire at the moment, which is another issue as I'll have to work out how to get it down to the garage. Doesn't seem to be battery/alternator related, as electrical systems are functioning OK. So this worries me further.

With the white smoke present I fear the worst. Only error logged is:

16621 - Manifold Pressure / Boost Sensor (G31): Signal too Low

P0237 - 000 - -

Freeze Frame:

RPM: 2898 /min

Torque: 116.0 Nm

Speed: 102.0 km/h

Load: 100.0 %

Voltage: 14.44 V

Bin. Bits: 00101100

Absolute Pres.: 2407.2 mbar

Absolute Pres.: 1275.0 mbar

Readiness: 0 0 0 0 0

Not seen that ever before (and I've suffered a previous Fabia blown turbo). So not none the wiser and Ross-Tech Wiki isn't much help. Think if it were just a blown pipe I'd get a different error log.

Oh joy! Right, off to look at turbo options, in preparation.

Cheers,

Steve

Edited by Wardy

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks guys. Trying not to presume the worst until everything's been checked over, but I've had a few boost pipe issues over the years, and this isn't the same really. Which does worry me!

Fingers crossed hey :)

Cheers,

Steve

Well, I would say that it has to be:

1. MAP (boost) sensor failed.

2. Boost leak

3. Turbo catastrophic fail.

When you say it 'doesn't turn over' do you mean that it won't even crank over on the starter? Did then engine stop dead after the 'incident' or were you able to motor to the layby?

That is the usual boost hose fault code though, as that code basically says "Hey, you have a boost leak" (i.e it reads pressure actually lower than requested by the car) and= limp mode. A boost hose is like a huge catapstrophic boost leak.

Fingers crossed! :thumbup:

Well, I would say that it has to be:

1. MAP (boost) sensor failed.

2. Boost leak

3. Turbo catastrophic fail.

When you say it 'doesn't turn over' do you mean that it won't even crank over on the starter? Did then engine stop dead after the 'incident' or were you able to motor to the layby?

Sorry, bad explanation. Have edited now to hopefully make it clearer. Electrical systems seem OK, hear a click (presumably alternator?) but nothing further.

No, the engine continued to run afterwards. Nearer safe place was about 1/2 mile further on, so I coasted to there. It was on a dual carriageway at the time. Pulled in, turned off and waited for recovery. Engine started once more after this when the recovery arrived and were trying to diagnose the fault.

Wardy - what mileage is your car at? (You've got the same model as me hence asking!)

Just over 81k.

That is the usual boost hose fault code though, as that code basically says "Hey, you have a boost leak" (i.e it reads pressure actually lower than requested by the car) and= limp mode. A boost hose is like a huge catapstrophic boost leak.

Fingers crossed! :thumbup:

Hi Jason - was pretty sure I had a different one logged on the Fabia. Didn't get loads of white smoke last time though!

Edited by Wardy

Fabia one normally is written out a little differently. I think it says "thrust sensor, negative deviation" - which basically means the same as what you have here, but in better plan English :D

Edit: In fact I think the octy 2 is quite clever in that this could be telling you requested and actual boost being logged?

Absolute Pres.: 2407.2 mbar - this is peak requested boost, about 1.4 bar

Absolute Pres.: 1275.0 mbar - this is "not much" that is actually being read. :D In fact so close to nil I suspect the hose even more

Thanks Jason. Hopefully can get it checked out tomorrow. Still confused with the startup issue though.

And would a simple broken hose/hose clip cause this amount of white smoke? As in, complete invisibility for anyone 2ft behind me??

Should know for sure by the end of the day.

If it is, then yes, likely that I'll go for a uprated and strengthened model, but won't run it at a Stage 2 power levels. Happy with the performance at the moment and would rather have increased reliability by running less boost than a hybrid would ultimately be able to produce. So would get a slightly tweaked STS file from Ben, to largely account for the hybrid boosting slightly later.

Steve

Should know for sure by the end of the day.

If it is, then yes, likely that I'll go for a uprated and strengthened model, but won't run it at a Stage 2 power levels. Happy with the performance at the moment and would rather have increased reliability by running less boost than a hybrid would ultimately be able to produce. So would get a slightly tweaked STS file from Ben, to largely account for the hybrid boosting slightly later.

Steve

Good luck <fingers crossed smilie>. Personally I think you need a 3.0 tdi of some sort :)

Thanks guys!

Will gladly do a straight swap Lady E :D

It's not gonna get looked at today, my usual port of call is snowed under with work.

Cheers,

Steve

Thanks guys!

Will gladly do a straight swap Lady E emoticon-0102-bigsmile.gif

It's not gonna get looked at today, my usual port of call is snowed under with work.

Cheers,

Steve

You need a 330D Steve and you know you do :D