Installing the V7 maps and 2760 firmware on the Columbus

JAB

I thought your existing 2684 firmware should support v7 maps. Hmm, if itt doesn't and you want to go to 2764, get this one => http://www.megaupload.com/?d=JG148IV6

I was running 2664 on my Columbus (October 2008 car), and the 7-digit postcode search definitely didn't work. I've now upgraded to the 2764 firmware, and they work just fine. I'm pretty sure that you need to go to the 27xx firmware to get the full postcode functionality.

I haven't noticed any other differences between 27xx and 26xx firmware. I think the numbers for the clock are a bit bigger when the Columbus is switched off, but that's about it. I've not seen any Regensburg syndrome (where the Columbus first powers up and thinks it's in Regensburg, Germany), and my VBR MP3s resume as they always have. I've never been quite sure why I don't see problems with VBR files, but I don't.

I'm just about to build a new DVD with UK speed cameras and PocketGPS POIs in it, as I find the standard ones pretty useless. I'm hoping that the 38xx firmware and v7.1 maps come out of beta soon, as it looks like we finally get support for speed camera warnings. Much more useful than simply having icons in the display.

Bagpuss.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was running 2664 on my Columbus (October 2008 car), and the 7-digit postcode search definitely didn't work. I've now upgraded to the 2764 firmware, and they work just fine. I'm pretty sure that you need to go to the 27xx firmware to get the full postcode functionality.

I haven't noticed any other differences between 27xx and 26xx firmware. I think the numbers for the clock are a bit bigger when the Columbus is switched off, but that's about it. I've not seen any Regensburg syndrome (where the Columbus first powers up and thinks it's in Regensburg, Germany), and my VBR MP3s resume as they always have. I've never been quite sure why I don't see problems with VBR files, but I don't.

I'm just about to build a new DVD with UK speed cameras and PocketGPS POIs in it, as I find the standard ones pretty useless. I'm hoping that the 38xx firmware and v7.1 maps come out of beta soon, as it looks like we finally get support for speed camera warnings. Much more useful than simply having icons in the display.

Bagpuss.

I hope you can get this working so that you get warnings all the time even without setting a destination :thumbup:

It says in my secret menu i have v7333 maps and firmware 2764 but i dont have the 7 digit post code only 5 , i got Regensburg, Germany), show up on my unit the other day and when i turn off the unit the clock dont show it never did and yes i have it selected in the settings. Was the 5 digit postcode option available on the older maps ?? i never had to use it so i dont no

Bagpuss

My Superb was bought End of Feb 2009 and had just been delivered from factory so I assume its Jan 2009.

Would this have the same 2664 version that you had.

One comment though when I turn off the columbus I dont think I have a clock on the display.

Is it best to use a modded or unmodded version of the firmware.

Bagpuss

My Superb was bought End of Feb 2009 and had just been delivered from factory so I assume its Jan 2009.

Would this have the same 2664 version that you had.

One comment though when I turn off the columbus I dont think I have a clock on the display.

Is it best to use a modded or unmodded version of the firmware.

Your unit will probably be an older 'A' revision like mine. That means it probably had 0904 firmware from the factory and is probably running 1164 now. This is the latest version that Skoda will officially let us have.

You need to use a modified firmware update for 27xx but don't need the version with the 1200 CAN gateway software. Our cars have the newer gateway and don't see battery drain problems.

The clock display can be turned on in one of the setup screens, but I forget which one. Have a hunt around once you've done the update.

Hope that helps,

Andy.

I've just installed and tested a new DVD I made which has my subscription cameras on it (but no other outsourced POIs, as Andy's doing that). It works OK and this time doesn't seem to cause any issues with the speed limit option (on my previous attempt with earlier maps, those would only display in KPH). Camera positions are a little further ahead on the map than on the road, but it seems a constant distance and only a small one (three or four metres).

I used Pimp-My-Nav (v1.2.3373.23596), which is quite a simple tool to use once you grasp the concept of their "Add POIs" structure. This programme requires Ultra ISO to be installed for editing DVD images, but I had that anyway. It also recommednds using the (free) ImgBurn application BUT I received a "Malware" warning, so I didn't install it - preferring to use Ulta ISO to burn the new DVD. This is no problem, as the programme even shows the exact path to the file requiring to be burned.

A small niggle was that, when purchasing P-M-N, I didn't receive the software when expected and their on-line contact form didn't work, but all was quickly resolved.

Finally, P-M-N recommends using KML, OV2 or GPX database files, rather than the ASC or CCV text versions. My new disk was burned with ASC files and I'm going to do a GPX version to see if I can detect any difference, espcially with the accuracy of the camera positioning - still not a big deal.

I did this because I knew that the POI Inspector software from Radas doesn't handle V7 maps and I wasn't going to recommend an alternative until I'd tried it for myself. :)

Ray

Edited by Argee

Bagpuss is this the one that you used on this link. (if not do you have a link to the one you used)

http://vwnavi.com/showthread.php/13672-Unofficial-272x-software-and-SWL-recovery-CD

It gets a bit confusing with all the options.

Modded / Unmodded / CAN Fix / firmware verions etc.

Its one thing bricking the unit for corrupt disk or something but I want to avoid the "But you should have used a different version due to the version of the device or the firmware or you have this verion of CAN or Bluetooth" issues later.

Finally what is the version I need modded to do ?

I cant believe that the columbus I have might be Version A on such an old fimware. Well there you go !!!

I have a 2008 superb2, with originally fitted columbus, I am also running 27xx firmware on my headunit. The disk I used to load the firmware was the official one from VW with no modifications at all and it loaded straight on with no problem.

27xx is fully supported on the 3T0 A version unit used in the superb until very recently where its been replaced by the C version.

27xx is NOT supported on the older 1Z0 A version unit used in the Octavia at that time.

If you look at the cdrom.toc file from the official VW DVD you will see the 3T0 035 680A headunit listed as compatible.

For the 3T0 unit you only need a modified version if the 3T0 unit is being fitted in an Octavia, for the Superb no modification is necessary as the headunit is being fitted to the car it is intended for. The superb2 also has a compatible can gateway so no battery drain problems.

I've just installed and tested a new DVD I made which has my subscription cameras on it (but no other outsourced POIs, as Andy's doing that). It works OK and this time doesn't seem to cause any issues with the speed limit option (on my previous attempt with earlier maps, those would only display in KPH). Camera positions are a little further ahead on the map than on the road, but it seems a constant distance and only a small one (three or four metres).

I used Pimp-My-Nav (v1.2.3373.23596), which is quite a simple tool to use once you grasp the concept of their "Add POIs" structure. This programme requires Ultra ISO to be installed for editing DVD images, but I had that anyway. It also recommednds using the (free) ImgBurn application BUT I received a "Malware" warning, so I didn't install it - preferring to use Ulta ISO to burn the new DVD. This is no problem, as the programme even shows the exact path to the file requiring to be burned.

A small niggle was that, when purchasing P-M-N, I didn't receive the software when expected and their on-line contact form didn't work, but all was quickly resolved.

Finally, P-M-N recommends using KML, OV2 or GPX database files, rather than the ASC or CCV text versions. My new disk was burned with ASC files and I'm going to do a GPX version to see if I can detect any difference, espcially with the accuracy of the camera positioning - still not a big deal.

I did this because I knew that the POI Inspector software from Radas doesn't handle V7 maps and I wasn't going to recommend an alternative until I'd tried it for myself. :)

Ray

Hi Ray,

I've successfully built a v7 custom DVD with POI Inspector, and it works just fine. From what I understand, POI Inspector doesn't work with the 7.1 maps that are needed for the 38xx firmware. In the 7.1 build, the POI database format has changed, but Radas now understands the new layout, and is working on an updated version. To be honest, I doubt if Pimp-My-Nav understands the 7.1 format either.

One question for you, if you use OV2 files with Pimp My Nav, does it correctly populate the POI records so that the any telephone numbers can be dialed directly from the POI entry itself?

For POIs that come with the Columbus, this works, but POI Inspector doesn't seem to understand how to do this for POIs that I add.

ImgBurn definitely isn't malware. As long as you get it from from proper homepage (http://www.imgburn.com/). I've been using it for years, and it's definitely the best image writing program out there (and it's free).

Andy.

Bagpuss is this the one that you used on this link. (if not do you have a link to the one you used)

http://vwnavi.com/showthread.php/13672-Unofficial-272x-software-and-SWL-recovery-CD

It gets a bit confusing with all the options.

Modded / Unmodded / CAN Fix / firmware verions etc.

Its one thing bricking the unit for corrupt disk or something but I want to avoid the "But you should have used a different version due to the version of the device or the firmware or you have this verion of CAN or Bluetooth" issues later.

Finally what is the version I need modded to do ?

I cant believe that the columbus I have might be Version A on such an old fimware. Well there you go !!!

Yep. That's where I got mine from.

I used the image linked here:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=JG148IV6

This is the 2760 build, modified to install on all Skoda revisions. From what mannyo has said, I don't think we actually *NEED* to use this image, but it worked flawlessly for me.

Andy.

One question for you, if you use OV2 files with Pimp My Nav, does it correctly populate the POI records so that the any telephone numbers can be dialed directly from the POI entry itself?

ImgBurn definitely isn't malware. As long as you get it from from proper homepage (http://www.imgburn.com/). I've been using it for years, and it's definitely the best image writing program out there (and it's free).

OK - I went to "New Destination" then "POI" then "Category" then ""Dining" then "Restaurants" and selected one after running a 30-mile search. As the POI came up as the destination, the number appeared together with a telephone icon. I pressed that and it dialled the restaurant! That's the long-winded way of saying "YES!"

Weird that P-M-Nav's link showed up as malware - but on further examination, it was AVG warning about the "Ask" toolbar that was about to be installed as a default! :)

Ray

Edited by Argee

OK - I went to "New Destination" then "POI" then "Category" then ""Dining" then "Restaurants" and selected one after running a 30-mile search. As the POI came up as the destination, the number appeared together with a telephone icon. I pressed that and it dialled the restaurant! That's the long-winded way of saying "YES!"

Weird that P-M-Nav's link showed up as malware - but on further examination, it was AVG warning about the "Ask" toolbar that was about to be installed as a default! :)

Ray

Hi Ray,

Okay, but my standard disk has Dining -> Restaurants as a supplied category, which does work with the telephone stuff.

What I meant was, if you add a new POI (which has a telephone number in it) using P-M-Nav, does that POI also have a dialable number when you look at it. Any POIs added using POI Inspector don't do this. The number is visible, but there is no dial button.

Andy.

Hi Ray,

Okay, but my standard disk has Dining -> Restaurants as a supplied category, which does work with the telephone stuff.

What I meant was, if you add a new POI (which has a telephone number in it) using P-M-Nav, does that POI also have a dialable number when you look at it. Any POIs added using POI Inspector don't do this. The number is visible, but there is no dial button.

OK - I guess that you skated over the first line of an earlier reply in which I said: "I've just installed and tested a new DVD I made which has my subscription cameras on it (but no other outsourced POIs, as Andy's doing that)." :)

I'll burn another DVD with some POIs that should contain telephone numbers in a minute, then I'll try it out - probably tomorrow now, then let you know, OK?

Ray

OK - I guess that you skated over the first line of an earlier reply in which I said: "I've just installed and tested a new DVD I made which has my subscription cameras on it (but no other outsourced POIs, as Andy's doing that)." :)

I'll burn another DVD with some POIs that should contain telephone numbers in a minute, then I'll try it out - probably tomorrow now, then let you know, OK?

Ray

Yep. Missed that.

It's not an urgent thing, so whenever you get the chance.

Andy.

Andy,

Tried a PM, but blocked.

I burned a new DVD and installed it this morning. I looked in the added categories, but - as you said - the 'phone icon was missing. That said, maybe the categories didn't come with 'phone numbers in the first place?

As a test, I added Chemists and Supermarkets from PGPS World and I'd have thought that they ought to contain telephone numbers, but I don't know how to confirm or disprove this.

Was there a particular category you tried?

Ray

Andy,

Tried a PM, but blocked.

I burned a new DVD and installed it this morning. I looked in the added categories, but - as you said - the 'phone icon was missing. That said, maybe the categories didn't come with 'phone numbers in the first place?

As a test, I added Chemists and Supermarkets from PGPS World and I'd have thought that they ought to contain telephone numbers, but I don't know how to confirm or disprove this.

Was there a particular category you tried?

Ray

Hi ray,

Think the PM stuff is broken as my freedom subscription has expired. Got too many messages now. Will try and sort that out.

As for which POIs, then the hotels sections from Pocket GPS world have phone numbers in most of the entries. If you could try some of them, that would be great.

Andy.

The only way to enable the secret menu is by VCDS, its off by default so unless someone does it for you then the menu will remain hidden. Upgrading the firmware on its own will not enable the menu.

Mannyo I have someone checking the unit with VCDS tomorrow.

He has a VW, will it be the same connector.

If yes once connected what does he need to search for to get the information on the columbus.

(Hardware Version, Firmware etc).

Also what code enables the hidden menu and will the menu remain hidden after the upgrade.

Thanks

Dave

Edited by dfsuperb

As for which POIs, then the hotels sections from Pocket GPS world have phone numbers in most of the entries. If you could try some of them, that would be great.

OK - I downloaded the Accommodation POIs and did a variety of experimental burns - ALL without success, unfortunately. :(

Some of the POIs don't have numbers, those that do appear in P-M-Nav as ")44number," which can be edited to "044number" or "0044number," but not "+44number." In a converted .csv file, they appear as ">44number" and can, of course, be edited to include the "+" - however, saving the file within MS ExcelTM results in an unrecognisable import file, so that didn't help either.

There's obviously some different formatting of the data going on in the imported POIs from the native stuff, that both P-M-Nav and the head unit won't recognise, but I'm jiggered if I know what it is, or how to overcome it, sad to say. I tried! :)

Ray

;)

Mannyo I have someone checking the unit with VCDS tomorrow.

He has a VW, will it be the same connector.

If yes once connected what does he need to search for to get the information on the columbus.

(Hardware Version, Firmware etc).

Also what code enables the hidden menu and will the menu remain hidden after the upgrade.

Thanks

Dave

hi guys i had problems with the hidden menu it wouldnt show...tried to tweak with the cable but seem do not be able to enable it ..and was afraid i might brick my columbus...........anyway i uprageded to 2720 and then to 2760 firmware and already from 2720 firmware the hidden menus appear now.....the reason being that the firmware i put was a modified 2720/2760 wich had enabled the hidden menus ..........just to prove that hid den menus is not only enabled by vag cable...anyway if anyone needs more info let me know....

John123 why did you install an interim firmware.

I think mine is official original 1164.

Will I have to go to interim firmware or can I go directly to 2764 for columbus.

Will I loose anything on the upgrade from 1164 to 2764. (Maps, mp3s settings Maxidot stuff, controls)

Sorry for the questions but everyone here comes from different versions or revs of CDs or modded and unmodded.

Have you used VCDS Id like to verify my current firmware and unit before I upgrade anything.

Thanks

Dave

........hi dave i used josi file from this forum

and specific from here

as he is the expert i think the best is to ask him ,you have to register to be able to post.

.as for the interim firmware i suppose you could just load the latest but the latest is also the least tried so i opted with the first one as it was my first time i updated firmware(from 2684)and was abit afraid of frying my columbus as they do warn you of the risk.

..But hey whats life without risks........... :rofl:

...anyway if there anything else i can help always a pleasure..........

....i went through the above mentioned forum posts to see other experience with diferent firmware/and versions before doing anything i think you will find alot of useful info helping you decide and the chance to ask josi the creator(modified firmware) if you search here briskoda you will find other members mentioning his name........ :thumbup:

Edited by john123

Update-

I got a guy near me to unlock the hidden menu for me

This is what I got.

Delivery Part no: 3T0035680

HW VERSION H03

SW VERSION 0904

Where do I go from here.

I was expecting at least 1164.

Im a bit more reluctant today than yesterday.

All help is appreciated.

Looks like Im staying where I am on this firmware as mine is HW03.

Quote from Web.

"Units with firmware from 2660 upwards now have 32GB + SDHC support including older units (from HW04 and above type A units).

Units with firmware prior to 2660 or with a older hardware revision have a 2GB limitation."

Update-

I got a guy near me to unlock the hidden menu for me

This is what I got.

Delivery Part no: 3T0035680

HW VERSION H03

SW VERSION 0904

Where do I go from here.

I was expecting at least 1164.

Im a bit more reluctant today than yesterday.

All help is appreciated.