Knocking from front

C.D-vRS

This is starting to get annoying.

An intermitant knocking noise, usually when on full lock or turning at low speed going over bumpy ground.

I changed the droplinks last month however the knocking is still present.

I gave in and took it to my local independant Skoda garage, they took it for a test drive with me & the mechanic couldn't get it to replicate the sound.

They put it up on the ramps to check the CV boots and they're fine, as are the console bushes & springs.

Driving it back to work from the garage it knocked pulling into the carpark :doh:

Any more ideas?

Just an idea but is it the tyres catching the arch liners on full lock?

Even though its lowered 25mm it shouldn't be as they're standard 16" vRS alloys with 45 profile tyres.

Sounds like a 'clunk' more than rubbing.

You sure it's not the cv boot? Check around the wheel for grease as I may be like mine. Very grandual and suddenly bang it all went. Although they may have said it isn't the cv boot it is likley it could have been over looked

You sure it's not the cv boot? Check around the wheel for grease as I may be like mine. Very grandual and suddenly bang it all went. Although they may have said it isn't the cv boot it is likley it could have been over looked

He invited me to have a look under the car too when it was up on the ramps.

I've changed CV joints before & they were definitely fine.

• 2 weeks later...

i have this same problem and also think it is this to is there any right ups on how to change these and do i need any out of the ordinary tools, does the bearing have to press in like a wheel beering ?

The bearing pack just sits below the top mount so no pressing in/out required, if you intend to make life easy then you might want to buy the "Laser Tools" bit for spreading the hub clamping bit and maybe something to let you get the top nut off, ie a deep socket with a hex end on it - some plug sockets are like that. Though maybe you can just put up with clamping the springs and easing both sides down enough to get the top mounting and bearings in/out, I've not tried that method but it might be possible.

• 2 weeks later...

I changed the droplinks over Xmas, the strut seemed ok when I pushed down on it.

I had this over christmas mate. It stopped when i changed the bushes but is now back again after smashing down a pothole.Guess its going to need more bushes :dull:

yea, top mounts sound like the obvious choice.

tweetybelfast, the only thing out of the ordinary really would be some spring compressors, not too pricey really. You'd use them to keep the springs compressed while you change the top mount over.

I'm going to be doing it tomorrow (well swapping the springs and dampers at least, but the same work goes into it), will try and take pics and do a rough write up.

This is starting to get annoying.

An intermitant knocking noise, usually when on full lock or turning at low speed going over bumpy ground.

I changed the droplinks last month however the knocking is still present.

I gave in and took it to my local independant Skoda garage, they took it for a test drive with me & the mechanic couldn't get it to replicate the sound.

They put it up on the ramps to check the CV boots and they're fine, as are the console bushes & springs.

Driving it back to work from the garage it knocked pulling into the carpark :doh:

Any more ideas?

Yea, exact same thing on our SDi. A weird knocking grating noise at low speed when manouvering or coming on/off the gas. Only at very low speeds. Had MOT done and drop links replaced. They advised console bushes a little deteriorated but not failing. Everything else seems spot on. It almost sounds like a loose bolt on an engine mount and the mount moving along the bolt thread. That's how I can best describe it. But all mounts seem OK. Weird.

If you can find a cure I'd love to know.

Yea, exact same thing on our SDi. A weird knocking grating noise at low speed when manouvering or coming on/off the gas. Only at very low speeds. Had MOT done and drop links replaced. They advised console bushes a little deteriorated but not failing. Everything else seems spot on. It almost sounds like a loose bolt on an engine mount and the mount moving along the bolt thread. That's how I can best describe it. But all mounts seem OK. Weird.

If you can find a cure I'd love to know.

mine does that aswell :( but i know its my console bushes because when i drove up on the ramp at my mates and braked the wheel moved about an inch backwards in the arch, however the bushes dont really 'look' that worn. tom.

mine does that aswell :( but i know its my console bushes because when i drove up on the ramp at my mates and braked the wheel moved about an inch backwards in the arch, however the bushes dont really 'look' that worn. tom.

Ah, that sounds just like my mates car. He had the same knock and we took it in turns to run alongside the car and look in disbelief at the wheels moving backwards in the wheel arch under heavy braking.. I couldn't belive the amount of travel there was!!

Unfortunately the garage found out the actual casting for the console bush had a crack so he just got a whole subframe from the breakers, did the bushes on that, dropped the whole lot off and bolted up the new one - job done!