dragon tuning box issue

wilsy7

Hey all, after much excitement the tuning box arrived and was straight out to fit. Fitment went we'll. Initial start up was the norm, on the botton. Took the car for a drive was running great, much more power over standard. Come home again shortly after, turned the car off and went into the house to gather things for work. Upon startting the car, the revs go to 800 as normal but within a second or two the revs drop and the engine cuts out. It done this twice, so I opened bonnet to see all way ok, after that tried again and started with slight hesistation on picking up the revs. Car ran great again on way to work. Arrived and turned the car off. After about then mins, tried to start, no go, three times it stopped before I gave up. Came back half an hour later and started first time with the hesistation on the revs again, so came back later, started and stopped five times in a row with no problem, hesistation had disapeared and started as if no box was on it. Thought the ecu had adapted and that was that. Car started fine for leaving work and drove home great, called at my dads, left againa and car was grand. Arrived home and turned car off, just to checked turned the ignition again and the problems persists. So just left it for tonight.

The car runs really we'll when its going, I can't think of any reason why the tuning box would be causing this? And advice or reasons why it could be happening will be much appreciated. My excitmement was very short lived :(

Jordan

The ECU doesn't adapt to a tuning box.

The box is intercepting the signals going go the injectors rather than the ECU actually doing its job properly and so any fault with the box, wiring, corroded plug etc etc will cause you issues.

They have a bit of a tendency to fill up with water too, seen plenty like that.

Take the bottom cover off, and (IIRC), you should see a steady green LED with the engine off and a flashing green one when it's running. There's a red LED on the circuit board, too - never saw it lit the whole time I ran a DTB, but I assume it indicates a fault.

Ben's probably onto something with the connections, though. Check them ALL, and maybe consider taking it off and leaving it in a warm place with the loom disconnected from the box and the bottom cover off.

HTH

thanks guys,

ive checked the leds, no fault light showing and the green led is lit constantly when engine is off and flashes when engine is running so all would appear wel there. im currently in the middle of removing the box from the car, yday when installing i sprayed a quick blast od wd40 in the box connector which apparently i should not have, so im trying to dry as much of that off as possible with a hairdryer and blowing it out with a compressor. any other ideas of how to remove the wd40?

Whilst enjoying the new power, you've failed to notice the position of the fuel gauge, or it's giving a false reading. The box is fitted nowhere near the fuel tank sensor, so that throws out that theory. I'm sure you will have checked the fuel gage anyway.

If electrics are wet, than I'm sure Brake cleaner is only IPA (IsoPropyl Alcohol) which as mentioned above, evaporates quickly and hopefully should evaporate any water too.