Mesh fitted to lower Grille

My_Yeti

Can anyone recommend a good source for a cd rom Yeti manual,the 1 I got for the Alfa was a bit of a joke with half the chapters not accessible.

Just pop Elsawin yeti into ebay and you'll get half a dozen or so sellers. I bought mine from here a couple of years ago but the seller I used hasn't any available at present.

Watch out for Windows compatibility; my version is Win XP only, not Win 7 - may be allright on current versions.

Finally got the grille mesh to the right size and added the edging strip.

Now I need to find neat way to attach it over the existing slatted lower grille.

post-62147-0-89310000-1362595612_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

and finally....it's fitted

post-62147-0-65108600-1365093221_thumb.jpg

I didn't really want the screws to be visible but I exhausted all thoughts.

I used spring tools clips (plastic coated) to attach to the uprights in the grille

It can be removed easily and without tools but sits firmly in place.

No Yeti was harmed in this activity....one of my requirements

Nigel

• Like 3

Ty Raps are always handy! And strong enough.

Fantastic piece of kit.......in the right place. I wanted the grille to be removable without tools and ideally for no fixings to show so cable ties fail on both counts. I have in fact used small ties to increase the tension of the black coated tool clips that I have used to fix the mesh to the uprights of the standard lower grille.

I have been thinking of moving the tool clips and using small self tappers to fix them to the outside trim. As its backed, on the edges, with a 6mm aluminium angle, it might work.

Mmmmmm.....I wonder if I can sneak into the workshop later.......

Very nice indeed. But where do you have these things....? The clips, the garnish on the border...

I am a great friend of Mr E. Bay and Mr B and his friend Q!

I already had the mesh (eBay) from a project I didn't do on my cmax.

The tool clips and the boot trim (border) were again Ebay

To get the curve top and bottom I used aluminium angle from B&Q

I sealed the top joints with back hot melt glue...eBay

And the self tappers came from an old storage heater I stripped down during a cottage renovation

I also have a small mountain of other bits I tried but didn't use in the final cut. I will be taking a short break from Yeti mods to build another extension to my workshop to house them.......

• Like 1

Good job 33q you should make a few and sell them on here, I'm sure a couple of us would be interested.

• Like 1

You are too kind. I'm retired and don't want to go back to work. I just enjoy playing with anything mechanical or electrical or in wood for that matter.

I will gladly advise anyone who wants to have a go. I reckon I could make another in under 2 hours.....versus 4 months for mine.

Mind you I did fit out three rooms with wardrobes as well

Nigel

I will gladly advise anyone who wants to have a go.

Some links to the materials you used would be very handy! I have a sheet of suitable mesh but I'd have to get hold of the other stuff. (Searching on eBay for materials can be a soul-sapping process in my experience, especially if you don't get the terminology quite right.)

Many thanks for the time and effort you've obviously put in to that! I've posted a couple of follow-up questions on the thread in the projects section, I hope that's OK (they aren't complicated or difficult).

UPDATE: The project thread seems to have disappeared :(

Edited by ejstubbs

Phew, thought it had been modded out of existence there for a minute!

And thanks for your answers to my questions. Looks like I'll be popping in to B'n'Q and doing a spot of eBaying this weekend...

Before you go buying I have erred. I will go and hide in Bob's corner shortly

The angle is 7.5 mm and is only 1mm thick. Sorry. I have found the scrap piece and photographed the codes etc.

I have also done a sample of the construction to show the detail better.

I will post later as I need to go on the laptop not iPad

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, decided enough was enough, this mod had to be done as the "rads" are getting damaged more & more. So went to Wickes & bought their galvanised 6mm mesh for £3.99, cut it to shape with about 10mm overhang & fitted it just by removing the grille & working down behind the front panel, securing it with black tie wraps. There's enough for 3 in the 1 sheet so whether I'll do behind the grille too, I'm not sure. I bent a 90' angle on the bottom to give it a little strength & it seems fine. I couldn't decide whether to paint it or not, so I left it for now as I thought this might be just the "experimental" version, but it's fairly discrete, so not too bad, it's still as fitted, & it's amazing how much debris it's kept out already! I'll try & post a pic if I can work out how to upload it as every time I try to do that, it says the file is too large no matter what I seem to do with it, sorry!

! I'll try & post a pic if I can work out how to upload it as every time I try to do that, it says the file is too large no matter what I seem to do with it, sorry!

Simplest method I've found is to use a photobucket.com account.  You upload the photos to that and then copy / paste the IMG link from photobucket into your post.

Hope that helps.

Guy