Bodywork scratch advice

Hi all, i've had the unfortunate luck to have been hit by a piece of metal thrown off by a lorry on the motorway. Initially thought it had only hit the screen, but have now found a 1.5cm scratch on the bonnet through all the layers of paint.

Been quoted over a £1k by my Skoda dealer for a repair based upon a respray of the bonnett and wings (colour matching apparently) leading to my question: do I bite the bullet and get this done, car is basically brand new or go for the cheaper option of getting just the scratch touched up by someone like Chips Away. Paint is the Anthracite option fyi.

Cheers in advance!

Chipsaway should sort that for under £100.

I've used the franchise in St Albans a few times. They do excellent work.

They sorted some deep parking scratches on the corner of an anthracite grey Honda I had a couple years ago.

It looked perfect afterwards!

Kid you not on the cost i've just noticed that the £1k quote was for insurance, for cash it was slightly less at £647!! They suggested that I should have the whole bonnet and wings resprayed.

£100 sounds far more palatable!! Wasn't sure how reliable the touching up would be but now after positive thumbs up shall be giving them a call...

I've just got my car back from being repaired, including having a new bumper, bonnet and wing sprayed.

The colour match was absolutely spot on (race blue) and you would not notice the difference. (Did notice that it came back swirly!!)

Cost alot less than £1000, and i'm sure the paint will be better than stock as i asked not to be too tight on the paint on laquer lol. Definitely worth asking for a quote from other reputable sources for a respray or pursue the scratch repair company!

Hope it's all sorted soon though!

If you've had recommendations for the local Chips Away franchise then give them a go and get a quote. Problem with national franchises with this sort of thing is that the quality of work can vary wildly. Or yes, a recommended local bodyshop.

Recommendations are the key :thumbup:

And I'm sure you'll get a great job done, for an awful lot less than 1k! :o

I would go with the Skoda repair, any other bodyshop would void the body warranty. Also a smart repair uses waterbased products and you will be left with a slight hazzing around the repair, on something like a bonnet its not normally done.

I have been in the industry for 27 years, i recommend you use a independent body shop that has been used & recommended yo you by at least 2 people.Chips away are ok for bumper scuffs & door bottoms & that is it. Under no circumstances would i ever use them for complete panels & a lot depends on the compitence of the franchisee. All cars today come from the factory with waterbased paint as it was an EU ruling. Pity you are not local to south yorkshire as my painter of 33 years experience would charge £400 cash to do the bonnet & wings , which is the correct way to do it. £1000.00 is ridiculous.

Find an independant body shop that do insurance work.

Their work should be to Skoda standard and therfore not void warranty.

Then get some references.

At best you will pay about 100 for a repair or more like 500 for a proper job.

1000 sounds too much.