Engine cut off and relay 109

eoineo

Hope someone can help me please.

Have been experiencing problems whereby my 02 Octavia cuts out sometimes when approaching junctions. Happens at low revs, battery light comes on and no power. Can occasionally recover by revving hard if I can get it in time but more often have to crank the ignition again.

Never have problems starting it up and battery is reasonably new

Some of the threads here seem to suggest the relay 109 problem but I am having trouble finding this relay. It is supposed to be behind the trim under the steering column but the only relays I see there are 447, 100, unknown, 409 and 337

Can anyone help please?

Should also have stated that sometimes the revs rise and fall from 800 to 2000 when idling and may cut out then also

Edited by eoineo

Thanks for the reply

409 is the fuel pump relay - yeah. Is there a known issue with them?

It was definitely relay 109 on my Octy1 (saw the faulty one when it was replaced and it had 109 printed on the case) . The fault was a cracked track on the PCB in the relay! Known issue pointed out to me by VAG technician - symptoms exactly as you describe. Unfortunately I wasn't present when the relay was replaced so I can't confirm location.

Dave

According to Haynes 'access to the relays can be obtained after removing the drivers side lower facia then remove the two plate screws (one either end) and lower the plate complete with relays'. There are also more relays at the rear of the engine (the second box left to the nearside suspension strut) as your looking into the engine (under a cover)

Looking at the picture, it is the part covered by the drivers door when it is closed (if that makes sense!)

Good luck, Neil.

Guest westallc

im sure there isnt a 109 on the petrol i had similar problems with the 409 relay on mine but i could be wrong :S

check under the bonnet there are 2 in there but again i dont think it had a 109 in there :(

Edited by westallc

im sure there isnt a 109 on the petrol i had similar problems with the 409 relay on mine but i could be wrong :S

check under the bonnet there are 2 in there but again i dont think it had a 109 in there :(

Relay 409 is on the main relay panel under the dash (bottom row, 4th from left - should have 409 printed on it ln 1cm high digits)

Thanks to everyone for their help.

The consensus seems to be that the 409 could be the cause and the 109 is only on the Diesel models.

I will check the back of the engine for the 109 in the morning just in case. I've seen the 409 under the driver side dash so can get at that easy and will let you know how I get on

I have just got home tonight , and seen this thread , my car has been jerky , revs up and down all over the place but never stalled , this morning my starter motor has started making noises , and then same this evening , and on the way home approx 10miles home it stalled at nearly every junction and the revs were really low ...? ..im starting to loose the will to live with this car !...is it -

DIVERTER VALVE

N75

COILPACKS

RELAY

THROTTLE BODY

MAF

AIR PUMP?

N112

theres that many damn things on this engine !?.....sorry for rant im tired after 12hr shift and just fancy a car that works for once !?

ant

Thanks to everyone for their help.

The consensus seems to be that the 409 could be the cause and the 109 is only on the Diesel models.

I will check the back of the engine for the 109 in the morning just in case. I've seen the 409 under the driver side dash so can get at that easy and will let you know how I get on

Have you had the can scanned?

Fault codes are often stored that may point you in the right direction, even when the engine management light is off.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I pulled out the 409 relay to get the part # and then reseated it. After this, this frequency of the problem dropped right down to maybe once a day from 7 or 8 times. This convinced me that the relay was the culprit.

Had to wait a few days for the part (€72!) and have just fitted it. Revs seem much more stable and are sitting nicely at exactly 750 rpm when they used to bounce around a bit - not sure if related or not.

Will let you know if any further problems with it.

Fair play to everyone who helps out here - really helpful

• 1 year later...

hello all.

i have a problem with my 03 octavia. last week it would not start so i replaced the relay 109 and it started right away.

but for the last few days it only starts intermittantly. anyone recommend where to start troubleshooting? i thought it might be the live wire going to the relay 109 but this is ok. what does the relay 109 activate so i can start looking at these? i know it has something to do with relay 109 because the car would now start until i changed this.. but for some reason it will only start intermittantly every now and again.

• 4 weeks later...