New gearbox

Well after near 3 yrs of driving my octavia its has let me down and let me down big time :'( unfortunately what has happened is the differential has cracked the gearbox casing, how I honestly do not know, so having brought it down to my local skoda garage in Waterford, I cannot drive it, till the gearbox comes in, but the mechanic has said that a brand new gearbox will cost €2500, but skoda thankfully is going to cover 70% of the cost and the garage will take off some of the labour so €680 all in all....Is this a good or bad price??

Oh no, was it just out of warranty and >> 60k miles ?

Maybe a 70% rebate isn't too bad depending on your circumstances and wether you want to drag them through legal action.

Are they offering a new part or refurb ?

Good luck

Unfortunately this seems to be a design fault with these gearboxes. There's more than a few owners had this happen, and if the case cracks then the old transmission is no longer acceptable as recon 'core' and the only solution is either a new or secondhand 'box.

completely new gearbox needed, been out of warranty 12mths and only 48k on the clock, but €2500/£2100 for a 5speed gearbox my god that is alot,

Unfortunately that is a typical cost for a 'mainstream' car these days. You should see what something like a 6-speed BMW gearbox costs!

Really, you don't have a lot of choice in the matter. You current transmission is not suitable for a rebuild so the other option would be a used transmission from a salvage yard - which is unlikely to be much cheaper than your discounted price, and of unknown condition.

Unfortunately that is a typical cost for a 'mainstream' car these days. You should see what something like a 6-speed BMW gearbox costs!

Really, you don't have a lot of choice in the matter. You current transmission is not suitable for a rebuild so the other option would be a used transmission from a salvage yard - which is unlikely to be much cheaper than your discounted price, and of unknown condition.

Unfortunately my Octavia vRS had to have a replacement gearbox at 9 months old and 20k miles - its a 6 speed manual. It didn't explode, but the synchro on 3rd went west. It was done under warranty but the service manager said when I picked it up he was billing Skoda UK for "several thousand" emoticon-0104-surprised.gif

Bob

--

Unfortunately my Octavia vRS had to have a replacement gearbox at 9 months old and 20k miles - its a 6 speed manual. It didn't explode, but the synchro on 3rd went west. It was done under warranty but the service manager said when I picked it up he was billing Skoda UK for "several thousand" emoticon-0104-surprised.gif

Bob

--

Yes, but out of warranty you'd have been able to have a merit repair done on it. Probably a teardown and rebuild with new bearings and new 3rd synchro - done at a gearbox rebuilder for a few £100's. The OP has no such option.

• 5 years later...

just had same thing with my 2012 7 speed dsg. 83k on the clock.

garage paid half, dealer paid half.

I paid £815 labour!

feel like I've been ripped off..... why are so many failing and Skoda and dealers meeting the cost of parts?

Edited by gsf600y

• 2 weeks later...

just had same thing with my 2012 7 speed dsg. 83k on the clock.

garage paid half, dealer paid half.

I paid £815 labour!

feel like I've been ripped off..... why are so many failing and Skoda and dealers meeting the cost of parts?

but is the problem resolved?

i just posted a this

Skoda Octavia fault Codes: P189C, P17BF, P0841

I just got a 1.6 TDI DSG 7 speed gearbox.... The car runs perfectly, and the gear box changes gears perfectly ... But the gear indictor flashes with a spanner on the instrument cluster screen....

FAULT CODES:

VW 06079 GENERIC P17BF

VW 02113 GENERIC P0841

VW 06300 GENERIC P189C         

Any known solutions? Please HELP!!!!!!!

Are these the same fault?

Was your car involved in the Service Campaign for the DQ200 to change the Synthetic Oil to mineral and do a software update after the Skoda Technician checked your MCU.

Has any Skoda Technician checked the DSG for you?

http://master.skoda-auto.com/mini-apps/recall-actions

Maybe someone will answer the post you started if you give them time.

Edited by Offski
  • Like 1