tow bar qustions

GeorgeRay

Can anyone pse advise how much the panel/clips etc are for a detacheable tow bar hole, and even the part nos?

Also, if anyone has had this done, does it really take 24hrs for the glue to set, as I have been advised?

Also, instead of the need to cut the hole in the existing underpanel, how much does a complete new one with the opening panel already fitted cost pse? (I'm wondering whether that would make the job easier, and do away with the glue setting time)

Finally (!), if instead of a detacheable tow bar, I go for a fixed one, can anyone with parking sensors confirm that having the fixed tow ball doesn't set the sensors off?

Ta, Pete

Can anyone pse advise how much the panel/clips etc are for a detacheable tow bar hole, and even the part nos?

Also, if anyone has had this done, does it really take 24hrs for the glue to set, as I have been advised?

Also, instead of the need to cut the hole in the existing underpanel, how much does a complete new one with the opening panel already fitted cost pse? (I'm wondering whether that would make the job easier, and do away with the glue setting time)

Finally (!), if instead of a detacheable tow bar, I go for a fixed one, can anyone with parking sensors confirm that having the fixed tow ball doesn't set the sensors off?

Ta, Pete

Hi

Mine had to stand for 24 hours... and then it turns out they did not even use the resin and just used double sided tape! So it is going back next week to have it fixed. And to wait 24 hours to have such a neat looking solution is not really the end of the world surely?! Though price will be! A fully detachable Westfalia costs a LOT more than a fixed system.

As to the sensors: the tow ball on a fixed towbar will be at the exact same height as that of a detachable one. My detachable one does not make the sensors beep if I leave it on so I suspect it will be the same for the fixed one.

Ta, Pete

We have a fixed Witter towbar and can confirm that it does not affect the parking sensors.

Hi

Mine had to stand for 24 hours... and then it turns out they did not even use the resin and just used double sided tape! So it is going back next week to have it fixed. And to wait 24 hours to have such a neat looking solution is not really the end of the world surely?! Though price will be! A fully detachable Westfalia costs a LOT more than a fixed system.

As to the sensors: the tow ball on a fixed towbar will be at the exact same height as that of a detachable one. My detachable one does not make the sensors beep if I leave it on so I suspect it will be the same for the fixed one.

Thanks Johann - the 24hr wait is a pain if your chosen installer is miles away from home, especially if I have to pay for o/night accommodation...and the thing with a detacheable bar is that presumably it would only be connected if/when you've also got your electrics connected - in which case your monster knows that you've got a trailer attached, and so would ignore any message from the sensors.

Anyway, since posting my query I rigged up a frame a frame to represent the tow ball and reversed up to to it, and as you say, its ok it doesn't detect it - but it does when I added a plate to represent the bumper guard plate and witter bike rack bracket that I was hoping to add if I went for the fixed option.

Cheers

Pete

I'm looking into getting a towbar for my Octavia and yes the car needs to be recoded so that it will detect when you have connected a trailer lighting socket to the car and turn off the parking sensors at the appropriate time.

Ian