Finally Test Driving a Yeti!

Sprockutt

Can be handy for overtaking but that's about it.

So is flicking it back to S, which drops the gears from 6th to 5th anyway. And even lower if you start to keep going slowly behind whatever it is you want to overtake. Put your foot down and wham you are past, without having to use the Tiptronic function. Then back to D and 6th will be selected again.

From my readings on this forum it seems the Tiptronic is only used sometimes by people when they enter a roundabout to stop the DSG being caught out when you slow down and then change your mind to quickly accelarate. Say you are in 3rd and it has selected 2nd in the other clutch (since you are slowing down), but when you then accelarate having seen a gap it needs to quickly swap 2nd for 4th and that takes time. So using the Tiptronic stops that from happening. But other than that it is of little use in my view.

My 1.4 TSi DSG Octavia Elegance has standard fit paddleshifts - used initially for the novelty value, the tiptronic shifts via paddles or stick hardly ever get used. The fully automated mode is so good, it renders the sequential change modes almost redundant.

I fully agree, the tiptronic is almost redundant. It's not even needed for steep dowhill driving since the DSG automatically sense that and downshifts to lower gears in order to prevent overheating the breaks. I'm only using the tiptronic sometimes when going really slow in order to spare 2:nd gear clutch since the DSG switch to second gear very quickly after pulling away and tends to prefer to slip the clutch instead of switching down to 1:st gear again when slowing down. It's only when coming to a full stop that 1:st gear will be engaged again. (this in D mode, haven't tried this in S mode)

/Stephan.

Gave me an excuse to show off my pride and joy! It will hopefully be keeping company with a Candy White Yeti in a few months time!

It's maybe once every three or four years I get the chance to do this so it's good to consider your options but deep down I probably knew that it was always going to be a Yeti. One of the reviews I read or watched said that the Yeti offers something that is very rare....it's a car that put's a smile on your face! :D

DaviesMk2_web02.jpg

That is very good! Just wondering what do you use to keep the red from oxidating. A friend of mine had one since new, and his red paintwork just go all milky.

I have been using the "manual" side of the gearbox during the winter to get higher revs and warm the engine up quicker - otherwise there's no need. I sometimes manually choose a lower gear for better engine breaking but that's it. I fully agree with the comments that changing up gives a delay between command and gearchange, so if you want to go fast, just let the gearbox do what it does best. I am (after 6 months as a DSG owner) very reluctant even to the idea of sometimes driving a manual again, I thing the DSG in combination with the 1.2 TSI is the best I have driven, both in terms of economy, comfort and acceleration. Go easy on the throttle and your in 7th before you even notice, floor the pedal and you find yourself hanging on to the steering wheel :rofl: :rofl:

In short - if the concept of not having to change gears manually is OK for you, go test drive a DSG!

That is very good! Just wondering what do you use to keep the red from oxidating. A friend of mine had one since new, and his red paintwork just go all milky.

The reason the paint is still like this is due to the car being garaged from new and also the fact that it's only done 30k miles!

• 2 weeks later...

We ordered our Yeti today!!! We went for a 1.2 SE Yeti today in Candy white with Light Assist, Spare Wheel

Rubber Floor/Boot Mats and Mud Flaps. Hopefully with it being a petrol non DSG we might take delivery around May.

Thanks to all for the excellent information provided on the forum. I'm 6ft2" and would never have known about the low

height issue with the standard rear view mirror which made us choose the Light Assist option. I also read about the potential

problem with roadside assistance after the warranty is up if you don't have a proper spare wheel. So although we will have

slightly less boot space we will have peace of mind that having a proper spare offers. The other factor was slightly less fuel consumption

due to the extra weight of the spare but I suggested to the wife that if she lost a couple of stone that would make up for it :rofl:

To get the best deal we have agreed to give our Honda Jazz to the dealer before the end of February. Our Tax and MOT is up so

that saves us some cash as well. So we'll be running about in my 22 year old GTI up until then...I'm sure that will make us appreciate

our brand new Yeti even more when it finally arrives!

Roll on May/June/July...:D

Edited by dds

We ordered our Yeti today!!! We went for a 1.2 SE Yeti today in Candy white with Light Assist, Spare Wheel

Rubber Floor/Boot Mats and Mud Flaps. Hopefully with it being a petrol non DSG we might take delivery around May.

To get the best deal we have agreed to give our Honda Jazz to the dealer before the end of February. Our Tax and MOT is up so

that saves us some cash as well. So we'll be running about in my 22 year old GTI up until then...I'm sure that will make us appreciate

our brand new Yeti even more when it finally arrives! :D

well done. you won't regret it....

Mike

Thanks to all for the excellent information provided on the forum. I'm 6ft2" and would never have known about the low

height issue with the standard rear view mirror which made us choose the Light Assist option. I also read about the potential

problem with roadside assistance after the warranty is up if you don't have a proper spare wheel. So although we will have

slightly less boot space we will have peace of mind that having a proper spare offers. The other factor was slightly less fuel consumption

due to the extra weight of the spare but I suggested to the wife that if she lost a couple of stone that would make up for it :rofl:

our brand new Yeti even more when it finally arrives!

Roll on May/June/July...:D

If your out of hospital in time :giggle: enjoy you SM i know you will

Very pretty; I used to have one of those in a grey/green, and then traded it for the 16v in black. Sold that back in about 1998, but still have a little sigh every time I see one go by.