1.2 12v estate or 1.9 sdi - quick, vote now!

Saloons seem cheaper as not as many people liked them, and thus didn't sell (and still don't) as well - hence the cheapness. 47k should be fine, although I found it more age that hurt my Fabia as the rubbers (bushes etc) perished, so check those, and steering rack/cv covers etc too.

so, would you suggest a newer car but higher mileage? Unfortunately, our budget seems to mean one or the other!

The key to price seems to be mileage.

I bought my 51 plate SDI with 140k on the clock 18 months ago - Still going strong at 163k - as long as they have a resonable service history (especially timing belt every 60k or 4 years) they seem to go on forever. Any fabia can have issues with the power steering, console bushes and door leaks but this will affect a low mileage example almost as much as one that has been up and down the motorways most of its life.

And I picked my one up from Stockport and I live in the middle of Scotland so perhaps I was just adament that I wanted a bargain! Had a look on Autotrader and the SDI's for sale at the cheaper end don't look too bad - just depends how far you are prepared to travel to get the right one.

And if you can - get at least a comfort so that you get a few toys, the classic's are a bit spartan.

HTH

Ben

Edited by Benatron

so, would you suggest a newer car but higher mileage? Unfortunately, our budget seems to mean one or the other!

Not nessesarily, but I'd make a point of checking all the rubbers are in good nick - they may have been replaced once already. . . I mean, my Polo is older than the Fabia I had, but MUCH MUCH better mechanically!

It's just age seems to wear the rubbers as much as mileage. . .

2001 51 SKODA FABIA 1.9 SDI Comfort DIESEL ESTATE,OWNER LAST 9 YEARS, 63-000FSH,NEW TIMING BELT 5 Door Estate

Diamond silver

Full Service History

HPI Checked

Car Data Checked

63,000 Miles

Insurance Group 5

PRICE  -  £2,495

Main Description | Detailed Std Fit

AN EXTREMELY WELL MAINTAINED 5DR DIESEL ESTATE IN EXCELLENT CONDITION, HPI CLEAR/MILEAGE CHECKED, 1 FORMER KEEPER, LAST OWNER FOR 9 YEARS, SINCE 2002, FULL SERVICE HISTORY, PDI+ 9 SERVICE STAMPS, EVERY BILL/OLD MOTS, LAST SERVICE @ 61K OCT 2010, TIMING BELT REPLACED JULY 2010, EXCELLENT CONDITION INSIDE/OUT, LOOKS/DRIVES SUPERB, A CREDIT TO ITS PREVIOUS OWNER, VERY WELL MAINTAINED AND CARED FOR VEHICLE, PART EX/CARDS WELCOME, FINANCE/WARRANTIES/ 7 DAYS FREE INSURANCE/LOW COST NATIONWIDE DELIVERY AVAILABLE, Air Conditioning, Body Coloured Bumpers, Remote Central Locking, Tinted Windows, Drivers Airbag, Electric Windows, Fog Lights, Heated Door Mirrors, Onbaord Computer. Height Adjustable Drivers Seat, Immobiliser, Passenger Airbag, Power Steering, Radio/Cassette, Steering Wheel Rake Adjustment, Steering Wheel Reach Adjustment, Trip Computer

going for this one guys, what do you reckon? Dealer will tax and deliver for 2.5k. Anti-roll and lower suspension bushes just changed as well as cam last July...

63k on a 1.9 sdi is just about run in. The comfort is a nice spec too. I don't know how good the price is, but if all is genuine it looks OK.

a good option then? We don't really need a car with that much space as have an A4 Avant as the long distance chugger, but it seems that you get a bit more saloon for your money. What would you reckon to a 52 plate with 47k on the clock?

I've no personal experience of the SDI but every report I've read reckons they are both economical and bulletproof if looked after. Don't worry about people saying they are slow, you aren't looking for a racing car, you are looking for an affordable run around. As Triggerfish stated, any model of Fabia could be susceptible to the usual evils, water leaks bushes etc. so you'll have to check all that out whichever model you’re going to have a look at. See quite a few saloons over here, but if they are noticeably cheaper back in Blighty because they aren't as popular then I'd definitely be going through the small ads looking for them first.

Be very careful about validating older cars showing lower mileage. You can be lucky. I once bought a Mk1 Cortina, retired gent passed away, 20 years old 23,000 miles on the clock, you could have turned it upside down and ate your dinner off it. Such luck does not come around very often!

2001 51 SKODA FABIA 1.9 SDI Comfort DIESEL ESTATE,OWNER LAST 9 YEARS, 63-000FSH,NEW TIMING BELT 5 Door Estate

Diamond silver

Full Service History

HPI Checked

Car Data Checked

63,000 Miles

Insurance Group 5

PRICE  -  £2,495

Main Description | Detailed Std Fit

Sorry, didn't cop this post between checking thread and previous reply (trying to eat me dinner / kids!!) All looks to be okay and it's an Estate :D best looking model by far!!!

Check the date of registration as the VED depends on this. It will either go on engine size (£210 a year) or Emissions (£120 year) depending on which month it is registered in. My wife's SDi missed out by about 2 weeks and we pay the higher band!! *****!! grrrrr

If you know the reg number do a vehicle enquiry at the DVLA - a 51 plate SDI should be £90 road tax for the year!!

http://www.taxdisc.direct.gov.uk/EvlPortalApp/application?origin=vehicleEnquiryInfo_en.jsp&event=bea.portal.framework.internal.portlet.event&pageid=Vehicle+Enquiry&portletid=VehicleEnquiry&portletns=VehicleEnquiry_en&wfevent=link.next

And if you get can the the number off the front of the V5C (reg doc) you can check all the past electronic MOT's to see what it may have failed on recently and verify the mileage!

http://motinfo.direct.gov.uk/internet/jsp/ECHID-Internet-History-Request.jsp

Saved me from buying a clocked fabia before!!

Factoring in that it has just had a timing belt, has full service history and the low mileage the price isn't too bad.

Edited by Benatron

Done the MOT check and mileage checks out - also where i found out about the bushes.

First registered 01/10/01 - hope that's the low tax band. Link didn't work to check, but do have reg so will try again tomorrow

thanks again!

Anything in the new style 51 or 02 etc plates is the newer, emissions based tax.

Think the date is 1st March 2001.

Thus - that's the £90 tax one. :thumbup: Otherwise sounds like a good buy. Good luck!

SDi is £110 to tax for the year

• 4 weeks later...

SDi is superb. Theres a reason they stopped making them however, and thats because they last forever and can achieve eco figures not far behind polo bluemotion. And they arent slow either, once you understand how to get the most out of it its actually quite entertaining and will reach 110mph+ on perfect flat. Is very bio diesel/veg tolerant also. And depending on what year (stupid tax system) you will only pay £90 a year like me.

Ive also driven the 1.2 12v "HTP" found in the fabia mk2 which is also a fabulous engine. Sounds superb (like a baby v6), the torque is similar to diesel i.e no stalling, acceleration is pretty amazing and the top end just edges the SDi. But look under the bonnet and the 1.2 looks like a budget engine. No engine cover, and it doesnt look like it fits the engine bays properley in either the polo or fabia ive seen. And it has an aluminium head. I prefer the SDi heavy weight, and judging by all the taxis you see with SDi Octys you just know the SDi makes sense. And if you google you will see that VW also sld the SDi as an "industrial engine". Its up there with the old Merc diesels IMO