Columbus Installed In Fabia Vrs

cjp2k

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm waiting on my Columbus coming - ordered from the same place you got yours.I was a little reticent to start with but the guy seems top have good feedback. How long did yours take to arrive? I'm hoping to have no problems fitting it - it's going in a 2010 facelift Roomster SE so no maxidot or MFSW to worry about. Are you getting good GPS signals from the mounting position on the top of the lower glove box? Does the unit display the rear parking sensors?

Mick

I've fitted a Columbus (LED version) to our 2011 Roomster and it does indeed show the parking sensors, I don't know whether it needs coding or not as I've coded mine and I can't remember if it worked before.

I also fitted the GPS antenna above the glove box and it seems to work fine.

I can also confirm that the OEM bluetooth units work OK too, microphone goes in the interior light fitting and I've installed the unit itself below the bottom glove box. I might move it to the conventional position, under the seat. I don't fancy doing that until the weather is better as it means taking quite a bit of trim out.

Thanks for the quick responses. I'm relieved that someone has already fitted one in a Roomster and that evrything works fine. I've also ordered the led version and am looking forward to getting it installed and set up.

Cheers guys :thumbup:

Just a quick update all coded showing nav on the dis... the slight problem with sound quality has been coded out as the equalizer was set to Octavia now set to linear it goes louder without distortion

Chris

I am looking to do this but with a bolero unit. Is it as good as the columbus just without sat nav? Is it the same process?

I bought a Bolero for my 2010 facelift Roomster and unfortunately it wouldn't fit. It's physically too big. Given that the Columbus does fit into the Roomster which has virtually the same dash layout as the Fabia I'd suggest you take care. It has been suggested on here that there are two different types of Bolero and it may be that the different size to the one I got will fit.

Cheers

Mick

I bought a Bolero for my 2010 facelift Roomster and unfortunately it wouldn't fit. It's physically too big. Given that the Columbus does fit into the Roomster which has virtually the same dash layout as the Fabia I'd suggest you take care. It has been suggested on here that there are two different types of Bolero and it may be that the different size to the one I got will fit.

Cheers

Mick

Thanks for the heads up. Might just save a bit more and go the whole hog. Either that or just stop reading these threads and getting tempted :envy:

+1 :thumbup: Damn you!

Awww, + another!

Thats luvly. I gotta have one of these.

I understand the internal HDD in the Columbus is 30Gb. This is possibly upgradeable, but if it isnt I will still want to use my rapidly filling 250Gb HDD plugged in the MDI.

Heres my question, does your MDI port still work with this unit?

Yeah I got the MDI working with my ipod without any problems, I dont have a USB cable so cant try it with a HDD for you

Thats good enough, ta muchly. Appreciated, unlike the bank balance!

to: cjp2k

noticed from roomster thread

Columbus doesn't fit perfectly in the F² or Roomster. CAN problems you can solve withe a canbus-interface from your skoda dealer. It's about 90€. But the major problem is the GALA-signal. This is the only thing that doesn't funktion but without the GALA-signal the navigation is offroad all the time..

Do you have any problems with this?

What VAG-COM coding is needed when fitted columbus to new Fabia vRS?

No mine works fine, no problems...it does get the speed signals from the CAN bus as far as I am aware, as it always knows what road I am on etc.

The Facelift fabia has the upgraded Can Module as far as I know.

Coding that needed doing was:

Moudule 19...Installed devices click Navigation Box

Go into Moudle 57(I Think) Which is Navi, set it to

NO Sound System

Linear Equalisation

4 Speakers Active

4 Speaker Acive Monitoring.

Thats all I did I think.

I got the guide from a Golf Forum and it was the same

Cheers

Chris

Hi all, just did a web search for the Columbus and found this outfit http://www.oemretrofits.co.uk I am not recommending them as i have never used them and have no exxperience from others either, but they want £ 600 to supply and fit a Columbus unit into an Octy. They also say they can do bluetooth installations as well as other items suc as cruise. Once again, i have just found them on the web and can not vouch for them.

Hi all, just did a web search for the Columbus and found this outfit http://www.oemretrofits.co.uk I am not recommending them as i have never used them and have no exxperience from others either, but they want £ 600 to supply and fit a Columbus unit into an Octy. They also say they can do bluetooth installations as well as other items suc as cruise. Once again, i have just found them on the web and can not vouch for them.

I noticed them too.

Generally they are going on eBay for the £300-400 mark, and judging by the guide on page 1, really not that hard to install, so I would probably go down that route to save money.

I am still contemplating this though as £300 is a lot of money for a fancy sat-nav and stereo.

I noticed them too.

Generally they are going on eBay for the £300-400 mark, and judging by the guide on page 1, really not that hard to install, so I would probably go down that route to save money.

I am still contemplating this though as £300 is a lot of money for a fancy sat-nav and stereo.

Hi I have the amundsen in my fabia and its very good so I would think the columbus is slightly better

A lot of the ebay ones are stolen, several ebay sellers have recently had their usernames revoked. The columbus is the most stolen OEM headunit in some EU countries, and they are then shipped to eastern europe where the codes are hacked and the units sold on to the unknowing buyer. Some are genuine but they are few and far between.

OEMRetrofits have been used by quiet a few members on here, if you go to them they will fit the headunit and code the car. They can also supply and fit the latest can gateway to overcome the battery drain issues if you need it.

The columbus is more than a nav and fancy stereo, its a full multimedia centre. You can store music on its internal 30GB HDD, play DVDs and more besides depending on if you add MDI/Bluetooth/ TV Tuner.

A lot of the ebay ones are stolen, several ebay sellers have recently had their usernames revoked. The columbus is the most stolen OEM headunit in some EU countries, and they are then shipped to eastern europe where the codes are hacked and the units sold on to the unknowing buyer. Some are genuine but they are few and far between.

OEMRetrofits have been used by quiet a few members on here, if you go to them they will fit the headunit and code the car. They can also supply and fit the latest can gateway to overcome the battery drain issues if you need it.

The columbus is more than a nav and fancy stereo, its a full multimedia centre. You can store music on its internal 30GB HDD, play DVDs and more besides depending on if you add MDI/Bluetooth/ TV Tuner.

Hi mannyo as I though slightly better than the amundsen,I see you are in blandford forum anywhere near hinton close?:thumbup: