Sat Nav

Hi folks. This may not be the correct forum but hear goes.

Has anyone bought a sat nav app for their Iphone that they san use a a regular sat nav and if so how do you fit the phone into the octavia(bracket)

Has anyone bought a sat nav app for their Iphone that they san use a a regular sat nav and if so how do you fit the phone into the octavia(bracket)

I have a Brodit mount ( fits just below centre air vents) with an adjustable Iphone clip as i have a otterbox defender case on my phone, I can add a photo tomorrow if you want ? but they do cost about 40 quid. I use Copilot Sat Nav app which is significantly cheaper than Tom Tom when I installed it a year ago. Its not quite as user friendly as a dedicated sat nav, however, you can add live updates for traffic etc if you wish. I use it all the time and have had no real issues with it over the last year.

Matt

I used Co-Pilot in my Golf before I had the Octy (with Columbus). I also used a vent mounted holder. Co-Pilot (iPhone App) is extremely good value for money, better than TomTom IMO, has in-built speed camera warnings and is regularly updated via iTunes.

I'd strongly recommend it as an after Market option

Cheers.

Tom Tom app

Tom Tom Car Kit

Its excellent.

Charges iPhone

Offers a built in speaker for instructions

Has a built in GPS unit to make the mapping more accurate

Offers bluetooth hands free calling via the car kit as well.

And when you're not using the satnav you can use an app like camera plus pro to video journeys.

:) it's allllll very good.

pricey but good.

And you don't need an iPhone to use the app or car kit either - will work with a 1st Gen iPhone or even an iPod Touch.

Edited by prolfe

Excuse my ignorance but do these Iphone apps resemble a standard garmin or tom tom (european mapping)?

Apps are same or even better. Maps are obviously updated as they come out. TomTom Europe is on app version 1.6, map version "Europe v860.3102".

TomTom 1.6 can download via wifi map share updates.

I don't have an Octavia yet (hopefully will be ordering one soon) but I can second the suggestions for CoPilot for iPhone. I've been a CoPilot user for a number of years (since v6 for WinMo) and the latest version is very slick with regular updates adding extra features.

I was thinking about getting the TomTom car kit when it first came out but the steep price (£100 when it first came out) and the fact that I already had a Brodit cradle put me off. Since then I've bought a Dension gateway that charges and plays the music + voice prompts over the car speakers.