Another Yeti finds his owner

macakfric

Yeti is finally here,or better yet it's already here after only 2 months of waiting. It's 2.0 TDI 170ks and Experience package is something similar to UK Elegance package without leather seats and with Rough Roads Package. On top of Experience package it has sun roof,TPM,MDI,electric seats,bolero with 12 speakers, blue tooth GSM II, 3 spoke steering wheel... (all in all 12 additional options).

I took it yesterday and drove it some 180 miles on highway and some bandy roads full of potholes (it's easy to find testing ground for Yeti in Serbia :rofl: ). First impressions are very positive. It's much more fun to drive then Auris and it's amazingly quiet for boxy shaped car although engine is little bit noisy at high speeds. Handling in corners is also nice. It's basically car that behave like nippy hatchback but unlike with it you can be relaxed with Yeti even on the bad roads.

Couple of things I noticed: Seat memory is not working but somebody already mentioned that problem can be solved with seat memory re-coding. When sun roof is opened beside wind sound that is to be expected there is also whistling, not loud, sound even if roof is just tilted (I wonder if those of you who have sun roof also can hear it). Gear indicator on MDF is not very precise (like on Auris for example). It's telling me to switch in to 6 gear at 50 mph. Maybe this is more related to deferent type of engine that doesn't have strictly linear acceleration like one in Auris (2.0 d-4d).

All in all I like it. Will post pictures as soon as I find time to take them.

When sun roof is opened beside wind sound that is to be expected there is also whistling, not loud, sound even if roof is just tilted (I wonder if those of you who have sun roof also can hear it).

I have a Velux and can say there is no whistling on mine when open or on tilt. Not even if I open the roof with the cross bars on.

I have a Velux and can say there is no whistling on mine when open or on tilt. Not even if I open the roof with the cross bars on.

Thanks, I will check it with dealer when I go to resolve problem with seats memory.

The gear shift indicator sounds about right, under certain circumstances it will tell you to shift up at 1400 rpm provided you are not on an incline and labouring the engine too much.

Glad you like the Yeti, enjoy it emoticon-0144-nod.gif

The gear shift indicator sounds about right, under certain circumstances it will tell you to shift up at 1400 rpm provided you are not on an incline and labouring the engine too much.

Glad you like the Yeti, enjoy it emoticon-0144-nod.gif

Exactly, at around 1400 rpm it's telling me to shift but my subjective feeling is that engine is struggling if I don't keep it at least on 2000 rpm. It's probably influenced by what I was used to get from 2.0 D-4D (engine was dead at 1400 rpm).

Edited by macakfric

Exactly, on around 1400 rpm it's telling me to shift but my subjective feeling is that engine is struggling if I don't keep it at least on 2000 rpm. It's probably influenced by what I was used to get from 2.0 D-4D (engine was dead at 1400 rpm).

Trust the computer, it might feel wrong, but it isn't!

It took me a while to get used to it, having come from a BMW engined vehicle, but now I invariably follow its suggestions.

The CR170 seems to cope ok at low revs. I try and follow what the shift indicator recommends and it hasn't as yet suggested a gear change that I think is inappropriate. The only concern I have is the long term impact on the dual mass flywheel. They are the Achilles heel of modern diesel engines (the DPF is another debate entirely!) and a higher engine load at lower RPM isn't the best thing for them.

However, they must have considered this when designing the gear shift indicator parameters. I am hoping the DPFs fitted to the CR110/140/170 are of a newer generation to those fitted to the older PD engines.

My computer is constantly telling me to change into 6th gear to early. If I follow it recommendation the engine tends to labour, it will pull away but only slowly. Holding the lower gears until the revs build a little more isn't hurting the fuel economy and feels better to drive.

Andy

My computer is constantly telling me to change into 6th gear to early. If I follow it recommendation the engine tends to labour, it will pull away but only slowly. Holding the lower gears until the revs build a little more isn't hurting the fuel economy and feels better to drive.

Andy

Could not agree more - 1400 - 1500 rpm is ok on the level, but it wont go if you need to accelerate quickly. The CR engine seems to need to be up in the early 2000's if you need to get the full power. So I tend to change up at about 1800 under normal conditions - seems a reasonable compromise.

Edited by jan25

I did some more testing yesterday and while you definitely can drive it according to gear switch indicator (around 1400-1500 rpm) engine is much more responsive if you rev it little bit higher and real fun starts around 1800-2000 rpm :D. So my conclusion is that gear switch indicator is not imprecise but rather conservative comparing to one in Auris.

See the b--gers are looking after their neighbours on delivery and sunroofs!! :rofl: and all for only 1500000 Dinar or even less!

That will give you lot something to work out!

Sorry, didn't saw you post Maffia :). It's probably more related to the small market in Serbia (it's easy to cover it), and also here 1.2 TSI is most common choice (and nobody is even thinking about sunroof).

People, here, with bigger budget are not willing to give for Yeti 27000 euros like I did. With that kind of money they will go for used Mercedes, Audi or BMW. Even if they decide to go for new crossover in that price range than they prefer something like IX35 since it's much easier to impress neighbors with X3 or X5 look-a-like then with quirky Škoda :D. Even Nissan dealer told me that they don't see Yeti as competition to Qashqai (and sadly, here, this is entirely true).

Edited by macakfric

I wish you could turn off the gear change indicator via maxidot. I find it is just an irritation especially, as has been pointed out, as it constantly tries to get you into 6th when the car is not ready for it.

Can you get the dealer to switch it off?

Doubt it!

And I'm sorry, but it is only there as a SUGGESTION,, so ignore it. :wonder: