Leon Cupra 150TDi MK1

Jcb.

Hi all

I'm trading my Octavia soon and have come across a nice Leon Cupra 150TDi. Does anyone have much experience with them? 150bhp seems like a lot to ask from the same size engine which only produces about 70bhp in SDi guise. How's the reliability? How are they to drive? Obviously I'm looking for something a bit sporty and more exciting than my Octavia.

Thanks for your help!

The 150pd's suffer from chocolate camshafts/followers, mine did. Have a search on http://uk-mkivs.net/ as the Leon and Golf share the same engine. For some reason it rarely effects the 130pd even though all the parts are the same.

Link http://uk-mkivs.net/...spx?PageIndex=1

Thanks for this

So when I have a drive of this one i'm going to look at, is there any signs I should look out for if things aren't right? As far as I know it hasn't been mapped but it has done 100k miles.

If the cam has gone you will know, it will be down on power and have a slight knocking noise. I caught mine before it had caused any real damage, I removed the rocker cover and noticed a scored cam and cracked followers. Makes sure the car has a FSH and has been on fixed servicing not variable and also the correct oil has been used (VAG spec 505.01 or 507.00).

Edited by Bogwoppit

Ok thanks for the adivce. Is inspecting the camshaft just a 10 minute job to remove the rocker cover like the old vauxhalls I'm used to? :giggle:

That's interesting about opting for the 130. I'm going to have a drive of this Cupra and see how I like it. If the turbo lag is as plentiful as you say it might be an issue, a Fabia vrs could be had for similar money. That said, I'm not a fast driver on the roads, so if it drove like an SDi normally it wouldn't be an issue :p

As long as the power is there for when it want's to be driven harder i.e taking it round a track/airfield. Ideal situation would be to have something dirt cheap and reliable for every day then a second car for having fun in at such events. I'm just not in a position to have 2 cars, hence looking for something which is a bit of a jack of all trades.

To be honest i would sway towards getting a 130tdi over a 150.. the 130 is a much nicer car to drive as the turbolag is epic on the 150.

weird, my PD160 didn't seem massively laggy when standard. and people that fit the PD150 turbo (standard or hybrid) to their PD130 don't seem to complain about huge lag :|

Is inspecting the camshaft just a 10 minute job to remove the rocker cover like the old vauxhalls I'm used to? :giggle:

Probably about 10 minutes. I think there's about 18 10mm bolts which hold the rocker cover on - They are those bolts which kind of sit in plastic sleeves so they never actually come right out. You just undo them until they feel obviously loose. Oh, and don't overtighten them again when refitting, as they snap easily. ;)

Probably about 10 minutes. I think there's about 18 10mm bolts which hold the rocker cover on - They are those bolts which kind of sit in plastic sleeves so they never actually come right out. You just undo them until they feel obviously loose. Oh, and don't overtighten them again when refitting, as they snap easily. ;)

Excellent advice, the very reson why even if I go to a Seat, i'll still be using this forum. Thanks very much! :thumbup:

To be honest i would sway towards getting a 130tdi over a 150.. the 130 is a much nicer car to drive as the turbolag is epic on the 150.

Also been told this in reference to a golf. Not driven them myself.

• 3 weeks later...

Well got the Leon a couple of weeks back now. And what can I say, I love it!

Perhaps I don't quite know what turbo lag is, but it doesn't seem left wanting for power when you plant your foot. It just ups and flys!

Coming from a 110 it clearly feels vastly quicker, a noticable difference is that the power doesn't seem to tail off until much later in the rev range. I also enjoy having 6 gears for cruising, but find myself chinging gears more often in normal driving.

So far I have averaged roughly 48-50 mpg which is no doubt less than the Octavia, but then there is always a novelty period with a new car and I must admit, stretching her legs puts a big smile on my face! The engine itself is also quieter and smoother being PD which is also a welcome change and being a Cupra, the suspension is a bit lower and stiffer than the Octavia but maintains comfort and smoothness on all but the most potholed and rutted roads.

Now for the asthetics! Seemingly the only difference in size is the smaller boot. Rear legroom is the same and head room seems unchanged also. The dash and finish feels as solid as the Octavia but I must admit it looks a bit more 90's and dated. The exterior looks are a big plus point for me. Myself being 20 years old, the Octavia always looked a little like "Dad's car" (despite the addition of a vrs spoiler and the endless hunt for a front bumper!) so the Leon certainly looks sportier.

All in all I'm very happy with the choice of new vehicle. I'm now aquainted with SeatCupra.net but am yet to post on there. I think despite departing the brand I will stick around on the Briskoda forums!

I should take this opportuinty to thank all the many awesome members who helped me plenty and shared their wisdom when I found myself in a tight spot!

This forum is the friendliest and most welcoming I've ever been part of, hence sticking around! :thumbup:

It's a good feeling driving a new car :)

I remember when I first got my Octavia, it took a while to get used to, having come from a Micra :doh: but I loved it.

I still do and I'm going to miss it, but needs must. I'll be trading it in next week for a sensible family cruiser in the shape of a PD130 Superb. It's going to be weird going from a tight handling, turbo petrol to a motorway cruising diesel but I'm looking forward to learning all over again.

Enjoy your Cupra :thumbup:

I hear that with a remap and filter etc these can see 190bhp ;)

I would love to have a drive in one that has been done for comparison sakes. For now though, i'm happy (and reasonably so is my wallet come insurance renewal) with 150 :)