Windscreen Wipers not working

big_sarg

Yesterday I had my wipers on fine and I turned them off and they went in the park position as normal but I turned them on about 30 seconds later and nothing happened I’ve checked the fuses and that’s ok but no matter what setting I put the front wipers on nothing happens or if I try use the screen wash it just sprays water but the wipers don’t go but the back all works fine.

I’ve brought a new motor and that’s not made a bit of difference either when I do move the stalk I can hear the relay clicking behind the dash, should I try replace that if so what relay do I need and where is it located?

Or has any1 else got an ideas what to try

Many many thanks for your help

Rich

Yesterday I had my wipers on fine and I turned them off and they went in the park position as normal but I turned them on about 30 seconds later and nothing happened I’ve checked the fuses and that’s ok but no matter what setting I put the front wipers on nothing happens or if I try use the screen wash it just sprays water but the wipers don’t go but the back all works fine.

I’ve brought a new motor and that’s not made a bit of difference either when I do move the stalk I can hear the relay clicking behind the dash, should I try replace that if so what relay do I need and where is it located?

Or has any1 else got an ideas what to try

Many many thanks for your help

Rich

Mine turned out to be a seized spindle on the wiper mechanism.

When you changed the motor did you check to see if the spindles moved easily ?

I’ve double checked the fuse and its fine could it be the black long box that everything seems to be connected to under the dash think it’s called a comfort module or something like that you can hear it ticking from there like a normal relay when I move the stalk

I Tried to change the relays next to it and that’s not worked either am really stuck without it as it’s done nothing but rain here all day.

When I put a light tester at the connector that plugs into the wiper I seem to have got a constant live no matter what the position of the stalk was.

That was the second to bottom wire think it was green and black I don’t know about the earth or how to check it

Thanks for your quick replays much appreciated.

Did you try the old motor with all the wiper attachments removed/disconnected ??

With the new motor (if I understand you correctly) does not work either when connected. ??

You may have a broken circuit, maybe in a multi connector or, faulty wiper stalk.

Try placing a test light on feed wire at wiper motor, and gradually trace/ or work your way back to switch stalk.

Ensure wiper body has a good earth connection too.

• Like 1

I still cant seem to get to the problem on this its really anoying now as i go away next week, the garage have had it all week and they cant seem to find the problem either

I Tried my old motor with all the attachments and still in the car, when i put a 12v feed into it and it went fine

The new motor does exactly the same as the 1 that was in the car

I have tried a couple of stalks and they all do the same

The motor has a good earth and seems to be getting some power but not enough i can turn the linkages around by hand when the switch is set to full speed

has anyone got and ideas where else to look or if they would have a look for me

Many Thanks

Rich

It's got to be those linkages or rather what they drive/move.

One might be fouling up against something, when in motion, or seized itself onto it's joint.

Can YOU physically move the the linkages and get the wiper spindles to move with very little effort.

A wiper spindle could also be seized or partially seized.

I would like to think I could move all the linkages + wiper spindles manually without connecting to motor, easily.

Ensure all linkages were free moving on their own/ separately.

Once I was happy with that, I would then start to connect linkages one-at-a-time onto the motor, and tested for movement.

When I reached the point the motor stops/ jams would (hopefully) pin-point problem area.

All boils down to painstakingly doing one step-at-a-time.

Sorry cannot offer any other alternative.

Good-Luck.

Edited by giandougl

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought i'd give an update now its fixed, it had to go to skoda in the end and it was the central electrics control unit witch in total it cost me £430 its the first time the cars ever really gone wrong and a very expencive bill for a little box

Thanks for all your help

Rich

• 4 years later...

I had this issue recently and this post helped me out out massively. I replaced the ccm myself and I can now drive in the rain once again. Although my tailgate release doesn't work.... Would this be related to the ccm?