Oil worries on Fabia VRS

Kermit82

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ours has just under 1700 miles on and the oil is just under max car was driven normally since new put foot down every now and then once engine was warm and no issues so far

:thumbup:

Probably the reason ours hasnt used much...Like Sharkrider, Ive never 'run a car in' and not had to add much oil between services

:thumbup:

• 3 weeks later...

Hope I'd never have to return to this issue but sadly I do. Just over 9000 miles and the vRS is still soaking up 1 litre of oil every 1000 miles or so. Going in for it's first service next Wednesday and I'm defintely going to be mentioning it and ask the tech to take a look. No spills or leaks as I've checked at home and work. Good news is, after 9000 miles that's my only problem :thumbup:

Hope I'd never have to return to this issue but sadly I do. Just over 9000 miles and the vRS is still soaking up 1 litre of oil every 1000 miles or so. Going in for it's first service next Wednesday and I'm defintely going to be mentioning it and ask the tech to take a look. No spills or leaks as I've checked at home and work. Good news is, after 9000 miles that's my only problem :thumbup:

I would definatley mention it.. 3300 miles now, and still no top-up.... if mine were loosing a litre per 1000 miles id be empty by now!

Probably the reason ours hasnt used much...Like Sharkrider, Ive never 'run a car in' and not had to add much oil between services

I never run my car in, it gets driven normally. And my normal is very varied. The only reservation i have before pushing the car is that the oil temp has reached above 75 degrees. So many people think its fine to rag the car once the water temp hits 90o but the water only cools, the oil lubricates and protects the engine. This is probably even more prevalent when the car has covered a fair few miles as the oil will be more gloopy.

well mine got 250ml on friday as I'm just back after a 300 mile round trip and while I'm not sure it had realy used any oil it was never full maybe half at best from new and I decieded a preventative top up was better than finding out via the oil light

well mine got 250ml on friday as I'm just back after a 300 mile round trip and while I'm not sure it had realy used any oil it was never full maybe half at best from new and I decieded a preventative top up was better than finding out via the oil light

the handbook kinda says it needs to be at least a third down before a top up (and to check the engine warm, we have to do it warm on the merc ambos) mine was at half way, never had to top a car in about 20 years! and I've always covered big miles, 107k in the last one (fiat) never a top up, and 18k service intervals, 145k in a cirtoen and never a top up and 20k service intervals! 80k in the vRS markI and no top up. hope its normal for the engine (I put in 250ml), again handbook says its ok for it to eat 500 mil every 1000 miles, this just seems a bit excessive to me..... like I said, never topped up a car in 20 years until now :(

I know some specific engines (like the 2 litre in the renault clio williams) DO use oil as a matter of design, much like the rotary mazdas, anyone shed light on whether its what this engine is supposed to do?

bear in mind, since 1995 I've had a new car on average every 2-3 years, and done about 800,000 miles in that time!

Serviced today after 9000 miles. Everything passed, no problems. Oil completely changed. Will see how it goes.

Saw the S2000 at the dealer and they had a Monte Carlo with the black pack. Monte looked very classy :thumbup:

Got to wander around during the service, and got into a brand new Superb Elegance with the vinyll wrap still on. Is it wrong that I really want a Superb Elegance Estate? :giggle:

ok, for the first time I had to top with oil a little, was half way between min and max (at 3300 miles) .... and I have another problem, my car seems to have got cats ! :(

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

My car has a 'cat', I think it lives up the exhaust pipe.

My wifes Honda Jazz has one too.

Tony :rofl:

ok, for the first time I had to top with oil a little, was half way between min and max (at 3300 miles) .... and I have another problem, my car seems to have got cats ! :(

image0300.th.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

That cat needs to be careful, if he's not lucky he'll be savaged by the snakes under the bonnet! :giggle::rofl:

Just checked mine for the second time since new, done 600 miles now.

Has not used a drop.

Have used most of the rev range and driven it normally since bought which appears is the best advice....

That cat needs to be careful, if he's not lucky he'll be savaged by the snakes under the bonnet! :giggle::rofl:

hahaha! He also better be careful not to catch his tail on the RazorWire grill!

Personally i think the razorwire grill design looked awesome! I think they should have left it on there!

• 2 weeks later...

I think my VRS is secretly a two-stroke!! I have used 3 litres of oil in 3500 miles! Wondering if it needs a trip to the dealers. :(

Maybe its a rotory engine?

Mine hasn't used any in 3000 miles :oS After reading other posts on the forum, it seems that some use is to be expected 3 liters sounds like a lot, as there is only 3.6 in the engine total (I hope it was used over the 3500 mile and not all in one drive?) Sorry this isnt more help to you!

Mine hasn't used any in 3000 miles :oS After reading other posts on the forum, it seems that some use is to be expected 3 liters sounds like a lot, as there is only 3.6 in the engine total (I hope it was used over the 3500 mile and not all in one drive?) Sorry this isnt more help to you!

I had no usage at 3000 miles, up to 5500 now, and have put half a litre in....

Thanks Brin. Reading through this thread there is a fair mix of engines that have used either some or virtually no oil at all. I am hoping mine is one of those engines that settles down after 4 or 5 thousand miles. In the meantime I am just going to keep a log of how much it uses and when. I'll keep a litre in the boot in case the light comes on! Thankfully it doesn't have the fuel economy of a rotary!

Sharkrider, I think your car was made by Audi, it seems too well put together!

Mine is up to 2700miles now and I've topped up with 2 litres in total !! Not as much as some but sounds like more than most.. I didn't exactly pussy foot around during the "running in" period ..just drove normally without regular high revs..just the luck of the draw I guess.

My last couple of cars were Astra's.. a 1.6T and a Gsi.. neither used a drop of oil..I actually bought a litre as a spare for both and never used it.

Edited by starskybell

A Pattern seems to be emerging that cars that got well run in are not using much oil.

My RX8 I came from to the vRS used approx. 1 litre every 1,000 - 1,200 miles and that was quite a lot of oil. Anyones using this sort of level may want to mention it to there dealer, although with the engine being twin charged it may take up to 5,000 miles to settle down.

It is weird that some are using quite a lot - you always knew you were an oil guzzler with a RX8 :giggle: