Early delivery and registering the car

Hi all

Am aware that this is something that has been covered lately but wonder if anyone is having or has had the same experience.

I oredered my car on 11th Dec 2010 and was told likely delivery would be April. This was fine as we were in no great hurry,not having originally planned to by a new motor until Sep 2010, but having taken advantage of the VAT discount and saved a fortune by paying the deposit on ordering.

I was originally informed to expect a build week of between 15 - 20 but was told in Jan build week 7. This was subsequently brought forward to week 5.

My car has now been delivered to the dealers today (15th) and I am being informed that it must be registered within 10 days (25th). Hence this would mean a 60 plate insted of (3 days later) an 11 plate.

I am aware, and have had it confirmed, that you can apply for an 11 plate from the 15th Feb.

Does anyone know where I stand with refusing to take delivery, I know Skoda UK state the car must be registered within 10 days, but there was never any prospect of the car being this early when it was ordered and it is in my view, their problem

Is this based purely on the fact that the dealer would have to secure and take responsibility for the car until I take delivery on the 1st March ?????

Edited by robzer

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe that the "VAT Free" offer is on the understanding that the car is registered within 10 days - pretty sure its in the T&C's.

So yes you can delay - but then you lose the "VAT Free" price.

Robzer

I was in a similar situation and got this reply from SUK Customer Services (direct quote from email)

"...as part of the contractual guidelines supporting the VAT free campaign, all vehicles must be registered within 14 days upon arriving at the selling retailer."

My supplying dealer has stated that they have 10 working days to register the vehicle so by my reckoning you should be fine (vehicles arriving on or after 15th of February would qualify under the policy).

I would ask the dealer to hold off registering it until you've spoken to SUK.

Good Luck.

I believe that the "VAT Free" offer is on the understanding that the car is registered within 10 days - pretty sure its in the T&C's.

So yes you can delay - but then you lose the "VAT Free" price.

I've never had a new car, but whats in a number plate? If you keep the thing for a decent length of time it becomes irrelevant by the time you finally sell. Condition will be far more important than whether it is outwardly 6 months older - until the purchaser looks at the V5.

Just be grateful you've got the car!

Niall

You 99.9% right.

However, lets say our OP comes to sell his car in say 5 years time.

His car is neck and neck with another, they are both similar mileage, similar condition.

However his is on a 60 plate and the other is on an 11 plate.

Shouldn't make a difference, but to much of the buying public it does.

Because there is a 6 month period when that car could have been registered.

You know the car was only 3 days short of the new plate.

Someone else could assume it was 6 months old.

Mainly about image, but it does seem to make a slight difference to resell value.

I've never had a new car, but whats in a number plate? If you keep the thing for a decent length of time it becomes irrelevant by the time you finally sell. Condition will be far more important than whether it is outwardly 6 months older - until the purchaser looks at the V5.

Just be grateful you've got the car!

Niall

I'll tell you whats in a number plate. Take a look at similar milage cars with adjacent prefix. (i.e. 58/09) anything between £400 - £600 on an octy elegance. :o. and it may appear 6 months older but in fact was only registered 3 days earlier (about £150 a day,lol)

It has taken me about 25 years to get to the stage where I am able to buy a new car, and I hope that I will be in a position to change it for another new one in three years time. so if I am going to lose £600 for the sake of 3 days I am not going to be happy about it, new car or not. And why should I be greatful, I'm paying good (hard earned)money for it.

Edited by robzer

Robzer

I was in a similar situation and got this reply from SUK Customer Services (direct quote from email)

"...as part of the contractual guidelines supporting the VAT free campaign, all vehicles must be registered within 14 days upon arriving at the selling retailer."

My supplying dealer has stated that they have 10 working days to register the vehicle so by my reckoning you should be fine (vehicles arriving on or after 15th of February would qualify under the policy).

I would ask the dealer to hold off registering it until you've spoken to SUK.

Good Luck.

Cheers Mcdobbo.

Glad its not a leap year then

A bit worried still about the 10 working days as my dealer is open 7 days

I have just quoted your wise words to my dealer and they are awaiting a reply from SUK

Will let you know

Fair do's!

I'm just not a three year churn person, normally led by my high mileage that makes changing that often uneconomic in the extreme. Better to wring every last penny out of the car before changing, at which point the plate isn't so important.

I only suggested you should be grateful as there are plenty on here pining for their pride and joy to arrive having ordered it a long, long, long time ago!

Niall

Fair do's!

I'm just not a three year churn person, normally led by my high mileage that makes changing that often uneconomic in the extreme. Better to wring every last penny out of the car before changing, at which point the plate isn't so important.

I only suggested you should be grateful as there are plenty on here pining for their pride and joy to arrive having ordered it a long, long, long time ago!

Niall

sorry mate, thought you were meaning I should be greatful to begetting an new car in any form. I was certainly one of those who was fully expecting to be nearer the middle of the year rather than earlier due to the 'dreaded deisel delay'

certainly did not expect 7 weeks (including Christmas break, maybe they dont have one in Chezc Rep)for a new 2L CR elegance.

Surely even if the rule is applied you can ask your dealer to register the car on an 11-plate, sign the paperwork (kick-off the finance if you have any or pay the balance) and ask them to hold it until March 1st. They've 'sold' the car according to SUK rules and unless they've got no room shouldn't be an issue.

You ordered your car the same day as me, 11-Dec, but mine isn't due to be built until next week, then they've got to get it here! :-(

Surely even if the rule is applied you can ask your dealer to register the car on an 11-plate, sign the paperwork (kick-off the finance if you have any or pay the balance) and ask them to hold it until March 1st. They've 'sold' the car according to SUK rules and unless they've got no room shouldn't be an issue.

You ordered your car the same day as me, 11-Dec, but mine isn't due to be built until next week, then they've got to get it here! :-(

they are defo coming quicker. Lots being brought forward.Take it you have ordered a vRS? ;)

Edited by robzer

Hi Robzer, Looks like I will be in the same position as you.

I ordered an L&K 2.0 CR Estate on 06/12/2010, surprised to find out it was built on 28/01/2011, and has now having just checked with SUK, arrived in the UK, and is awaiting transportation to the dealer, but due to be delivered at dealer no later than 17/02/2011.

Having read your post, I rang and asked SUK to clarify the position regarding registration of car within 10 days or 14 days. After a lengthy wait while he checked, he came back with not what I wanted to hear........the dealer must register the car within 10 days of the car arriving at the retailer, and that's not working days................... :thumbdown:

This does conflict with what McDobbo stated he got in response from SUK.

Why can't SUK get its customer service in order, and give out clear and concise information regarding orders.

To have the car built and in the UK within 10 weeks of placing order, is great, but from the outset advising the customers of a 16/22 week wait can leave many in an awkward position in either raising the funds or if like us, expecting to have the car on an 11 plate, disappointed.

Have tried speaking with my dealer to clarify their position, but the sales manager is away till Thursday.

Let us know what your dealer comes back with.

I bought my car in May 09 and got personalised number plates for it...nothing too special.... my initials (first two letters) followed by the year 09 (live at number 9) and the misses initials (last three letters). The car was first registered on that plate. It would seem to me that if you did the same and got a personalised plate, nothing expensive but private to you with **11*** then the car could be first registered on that plate but not be used until 1st March. Just an idea to get out of a potential stick situation and you get a semi personalised number plate... it will have to have the 11 as the two digits thou..............MY11VRS for example

Don't forget the small print

*VAT reduction equivalent to 20.0% VAT applied to the original base price including factory fitted optional extras on all Fabia, Roomster, petrol Octavia and petrol Superb new car retail orders taken before 31 March 2011. Reduction applied to the RRP including factory fitted optional extras. VAT is still applicable and will be shown on the customer invoice. Offer may be varied or withdrawn at anytime and is subject to availability.

Assuming this was the same small print as the pre Dec 31st offer there is no mention of registration details on Skoda UK website.

It also states on McDobbos original post 'guidelines' that would indicate flexibility, rather than a policy which would be stricly adhered to.

Dealer has said he will get an answer before close of play today.

Good idea a-Duncan, but it would kind of defeat the purpose as it is more the resale price being affected by the later prefix than the actual plate and I would be £405 for such a plate.

Octavialover - This sucks and I will be contacting all of the relevant car mags, which etc if this does not go my way.

My dealer has even admitted it is totally unfair and is in no way denying that we had requested a March 1st earliest delivery. if my memory serves me correctly he laughed at the time and said there was absolutely no chance of that.

This will be my 3rd Skoda since 2004 and generally I would never look anywhere else. but the pettiness of SUK on this matter is nuts. Was the guy at SUK sympathetic or arrogant?

I bought my car in May 09 and got personalised number plates for it...nothing too special.... my initials (first two letters) followed by the year 09 (live at number 9) and the misses initials (last three letters). The car was first registered on that plate. It would seem to me that if you did the same and got a personalised plate, nothing expensive but private to you with **11*** then the car could be first registered on that plate but not be used until 1st March. Just an idea to get out of a potential stick situation and you get a semi personalised number plate... it will have to have the 11 as the two digits thou..............MY11VRS for example

Think you will find that the rules and regulations about number plates will not allow you to put a newer registration plate on an older vehicle.

I have a private plate which is KN AAA (N = Numberic A= Alpha Character)

‘K’ reg being for vehicles registered between 01/08/1993 - 31/07/1994.

The plate can go on any vehicle registered after 01/08/1993, but not on a vehicle that has been registered before 01/08/1993.

If you are going private plate get something thats personal, anything thats car specific is IMO over valued as it will do little to increase resale & will be hard to sell on as the potential market being car specific is small. Theres always something like A 160 XYZ which could be spaced as A1 60 XYZ

If you fancy a private plate come up with what you want & then see if DVLA have issued it, There are literally thousands not on the DVLA Auction site, if they havent they will put it in the next auction & you can bid on tinternet. I was born on Aug 21st & now have a plate A21 followed by my initials & it only cost a whisker over £200 including transfer fee as no one else bid for it.

In the original posters situation dosent the purchaser need to provide insurance to the dealer for registration, that could take days if your not in a hurry :giggle::thumbup:

Personally I think you are right to hang out for what you want

Edited by Stuart_J

Think you will find that the rules and regulations about number plates will not allow you to put a newer registration plate on an older vehicle.

Correct

You can fudge it a bit, something like A 160 XYZ can be respaced to A1 60 XYZ

is this "collect within 10 working days" a new thing then? Because when I collected my car in Nov 2010, it'd been at the dealers for about 2 (or even 3) weeks whilst I was getting the finances sorted out! They never said anything about 10 days, and I'm pretty sure I exceeded it anyway - yet still got the VAT free deal.

COuld it be that some dealers are more flexible than others?

Ok, have just heard back from dealer and it's 1-0 to the good guys. Car will be available to pick up on 1st March with 11 prefix ;)

Octavialover - Think you need to be having a word with your dealer :@

Would also add that the events of today have made me realise how damn good this site is. Thanks to all for their input ;)

Edited by robzer

Looks like mine will be sharing a ferry from Emden with yours mines next for build too :)

It does suck to loose the plate for a 60 the new indexing system is IMO stupid it should run Jan - Jun and Jul - Dec that would not disadvantage anyone with the what year is it snobbery that DOES effect prices (for first 5 years definitely)

I hope it gets sorted for you fingers crossed good luck!

Ok, have just heard back from dealer and it's 1-0 to the good guys. Car will be available to pick up on 1st March with 11 prefix ;)

Octavialover - Think you need to be having a word with your dealer :@

Nice result

If dealers say no they might just be trying to hit a monthly sales target so take it up with SUK

Edited by Stuart_J

Nice one Robzer. Glad it worked out in your favour.

I have two emails from SUK both stating registration must be within 14 days of delivery to the supplying dealer, so I presume that the policy is confirmed as 14 days.

My VRS was built at the end of Week 4 but has been stuck at Emden for two weeks. I guess I can relax now as your post confirms mine will be registered on an 11 plate. Like yourself, I wasn't too bothered about the plate year identifier but was concerned about the effects on resale values with registering it so late in the current registration period.

I believe for the most part the SUK policy works but perhaps SUK could apply some discretion around the change-over periods. You only have to look at posts on this subject to see that this really has the potential to alienate SUK's customers.

Hope you enjoy the new car.

Nice one Robzer. Glad it worked out in your favour.

I have two emails from SUK both stating registration must be within 14 days of delivery to the supplying dealer, so I presume that the policy is confirmed as 14 days.

My VRS was built at the end of Week 4 but has been stuck at Emden for two weeks. I guess I can relax now as your post confirms mine will be registered on an 11 plate. Like yourself, I wasn't too bothered about the plate year identifier but was concerned about the effects on resale values with registering it so late in the current registration period.

I believe for the most part the SUK policy works but perhaps SUK could apply some discretion around the change-over periods. You only have to look at posts on this subject to see that this really has the potential to alienate SUK's customers.

Hope you enjoy the new car.

cheers mate, you too when it comes :thumbup: