RUN IN PERIOD FOR NEW VRS ENGINE?

FOX1429

Hi all,

Due to get my new VRS end of March 2011 and just wondered what your thoughts/experiences are in regards to the new TSI engine. Have read a lot of the comments in the forum. Some people are saying that you need to run the engine in gently for the first 1000 miles or so while others are suggesting that normal driving (common sense approach with a 'spirited' run to the red line every now and then) is needed to open the engine up. Let me know what you think i'd appreciate it.

The dealers told me there was no need for any sort of running in.

I have only done about 700 miles so far, but driving eccconomically. at the moment for me.

Mostly motorway miles, with "quick" blasts up the slip roads then cruising.

• 3 months later...

I was wondering this too, but I suppose it is covered by Warranty for the first 3 years and I'd never keep it at the end of my PCP deal so I might as well just enjoy what it can do from day one!

I was wondering this too, but I suppose it is covered by Warranty for the first 3 years and I'd never keep it at the end of my PCP deal so I might as well just enjoy what it can do from day one!

Reading this and seening the number of people who are not running in their cars it makes me wonder if there is any connection between this and the number of people who are complaing

about high oil consumption

Reading this and seening the number of people who are not running in their cars it makes me wonder if there is any connection between this and the number of people who are complaing

about high oil consumption

As a follow up to my comment above, Mine hasnt used any oil at all on 4k miles now.

As mentioned, driving ecconomicaly(Ish) I probably hit the red line a few times per 50 miles for the first 1000. (There is one section on the drive to work where it is impossible to accelerate slowley :giggle: )

Each to their own I guess. Ours arrived at the weekend and the two occasions I've driven it I've given it some beans (wanted to see exactly what it can do) but dont plan on driving it like this all the time. Expect we'll treat it fairly gently for the next good while as its going to become baby transport very shortly!

I guess so long as you let it warm up properly before driving it hard and keep a check on the fluid levels you cant go wrong really.

Just follow the instructions in the User Manual and drive it fairly normally. That doesn't mean you have to drive it slowly, just do the things that it says in the manual such as avoiding constant engine speed driving (economy driving, motorway cruising etc etc), vary the engine revs and avoid loading the engine up heavily at low revs and avoiding very high revs etc etc. Oh...and don't tow a trailer or caravan...:giggle:lol!!!! Importantly, allow the engine to warm up before you engage in fast driving etc. You are in the main just trying to 'wear' the engine in without damaging it and glazing the bores and piston rings. You want them to make a good oil tight, gas tight seal. Too much heavy acceleration early on, sustaining very high revs, and constant speed driving or labouring the engine at low revs all tend to cause glazing during those early bedding in miles.

Edited by Estate Man

Going from what a mate was saying (ibiza boca owner) the people who have been pussy footing about to run them in are the ones having issues with oil use. Seems to be give it the beans from the start is the best way

matt

this is true, more likley to use oil if you don't give it the beans

• 2 weeks later...

I have been told with most of the cars I have bought to drive normally, I had a diesel Passat that drank a litre of oil every 7,000 miles and after that an Audi A4 that drank no oil, driving style was the same. I now have a vrs Fabia and the wife drives it, so far it has drank no oil, I will let you know how I get on when the yeti arrives in July.

id have thought nowadays, with the health and safety craze, they would have to run the engines in at the factory to check for any running faults and stuff.. to be honest, i think the "run in period" is now more of a time for you to get used to the car before thrashing it and killing yourself than a time to bed the engine in.