Excessive exhaust smoke in cold & damp conditions

DJD66

Hi the forum,

Is it normal to have what I think is excessive exhaust smoke, in cold & also damp conditions?

My 06 petrol vrs, billows it out, even when engine has completley warmed up. Wondering if I should get it checked out?

Smoke is thin, white grey, it covers rear window when accellerating, also emits it steadily on tick over.

No warning lights are on, & the oil level is ok. Have I got a problem, or is this normal at this time of year?

Thanks, DJD66.

You will always get a lot of water vapour coming out of the exhaust and if the exhaust system is still cool then this will be a very visible condensed steam cloud. Once the exhaust has heated up then the vapour becomes almost invisible as it mixes with the air before condensing. If that is what you are seeing then it is normal. Damp conditions make this more marked I guess.

• 3 weeks later...

I've the same but I beleive it to be my headgasket leaking. Apparently it is leaking coolant the is getting burnt off on startup. Only happens when left idle for ages to give coolant time to leak out