Think i have broken the engine?

I think i have suffered this blocked oil pipe thing. Was driving home last night on motorway when the oil light came on, so i thought i would have a look at the next services. About 5 miles later the oil light beeped and flashed, next thing all i felt was a horrible metalic noise and i lost power. I pulled onto hard shoulder immediatly. Rac towed me to my local garage who had a look this morning.

They said there was no oil in it whatsoever?!! They said they had topped it up but my engine now sounds like a tractor! The oil light is still flashing, but the car still runs.

What kind of damage will i be looking at, and if they have topped it up why would the check oil light be on? When you run its very noisy, sounds like the tappets but if you give it a bit of revs it sort of sqeals. I have ordered a new pipe from the dealer but should i look at the oil pump also?

Thanks for your help!

I'm no expert, but I'd guess that if your oil pick-up is blocked no matter what the oil level was you'd have low oil pressure and the light would be on. What you need to do really quickly, is to tell your garage to stop running your engine to see how noisy it is. All they're doing is damaging it. Change the pick-up, spin it on the starter with no plugs in to circulate some oil put the plugs back in, cross your fingers and hope.

Edited by SILVER ROCKET

Guest westallc

well the garage should never have just started it up after filling with oil as they have prob just made the situation 10x worse imo

no oil pressure is due to a blocked pipe i.e the pickup chances are the loss in pressure has fecked the turbo causing oil seals to fail and oil to be burnt and lost very quick

you need to remove th sump and replace the oil pickup and flush oil system then try that and pray its okay this is a 50/ 50 but this is what i would do first as it might be okay but you will need to check the turbo aswell as i would bet my house its now siezed solid and ready for the bin

so hopefully you will just need

oil pickup £8

oil £30

oil filter £6

sump washer £1

sump sealeant £14

turbo £550 new £250 second hand

plus £50 gaskets etc etc

plus labour £££

and a whole heap of luck that the engine isnt fecked

fingers crossed buddy

Edited by westallc

I'm no expert, but I'd guess that if your oil pick-up is blocked no matter what the oil level was you'd have low oil pressure and the light would be on. What you need to do really quickly, is to tell your garage to stop running your engine to see how noisy it is. All they're doing is damaging it. Change the pick-up, spin it on the starter with no plugs in to circulate some oil put the plugs back in, cross your fingers and hope.

If i unplug the leads, would this help get the oil to circulate and help get some oil back to the top of the engine?

Guest westallc

If i unplug the leads, would this help get the oil to circulate and help get some oil back to the top of the engine?

no no no no no no no DO NOT START THE ENGINE AGAIN UNTIL WHAT I SAID ABOVE IS DONE or you will need a new engine

Guest westallc

If the turbo has seized do you think thats what making the sqeal noise?

more than likely but could be a number of things as no oil is at the top of the engine

do not keep starting it unless you fancy a new engine buddy

no no no no no no no DO NOT START THE ENGINE AGAIN UNTIL WHAT I SAID ABOVE IS DONE or you will need a new engine

Ok thanks, i take it if the turbo is fooked, then would it be ok still to drive if it is only the pick up pipe?

Guest westallc

NO NO NO the car is not to be driven the turbo is only goig to be fecked due to the oil pickup being blocked thus the turbo fails first as its at the top of the engine so will loose feed first

i cant shout enough lol you cannot drive or even start this car until you hve removed the sump and replaced the oil pick up pipe as a min

NO NO NO the car is not to be driven the turbo is only goig to be fecked due to the oil pickup being blocked thus the turbo fails first as its at the top of the engine so will loose feed first

i cant shout enough lol you cannot drive or even start this car until you hve removed the sump and replaced the oil pick up pipe as a min

No i understand it wont be started again until i have replaced the pick up. I mean when i have done this, and hopefully works will it still be ok to drive with a knackered turbo?

Guest westallc

no because if the oil seal has collapsed it will drink oil like a bitch ( i.e 1 litre a mile job lol)

check ebay a coule of used units on there now cheap

p.s do the work yourself and save a fortune its not a hard job just takes time :thumbup:

No i understand it wont be started again until i have replaced the pick up. I mean when i have done this, and hopefully works will it still be ok to drive with a knackered turbo?

It would seem that "pokerdemon" is hell bent on going down the route of complete self destruction for the total engine.

All the expert advise repeatedly given "Westallc" falling on deaf ears.

Whats the purpose of asking advise and then ignoring it.

What is it about the word "NO" that some folk do not understand.

Also drives another 5 miles after oil light comes on :wall::wall::wall: God man talk about screwing your car..... I think you are looking at more than just the pipe....Turbo will defo be gone and you wanna hope ther is no head damage....God people if your oil light comes on STOP RIGHT AWAY not 5 miles later

If you have driven it 5 miles with the oil light flickering/constantly on chances are you need a new engine or your one rebuilt. The least of your worries is the turbo going... If the oil light is on now and its not because the oil pick up is blocked that will be the big end/main bearings knackered! You crank will more than likely need a regrind... Thats if it isnt cracked due to to extreme heat from the friction of no oil in the bearings.

Wasnt really worth it driving it for that extra 5 miles....

I wouldnt even drive mine 5 metres with the oil light on!

Guest westallc

hopefully it will be fine with a new pickup and new turbo fitted

ive seen cars driven further with no damage done but i have also seen cars turned off straight away that have seized engines

all down to luck

lets hope our fellow member listens and it wont hit his pocket to hard

as said need any advise just pm me buddy

It would seem that "pokerdemon" is hell bent on going down the route of complete self destruction for the total engine.

All the expert advise repeatedly given "Westallc" falling on deaf ears.

Whats the purpose of asking advise and then ignoring it.

What is it about the word "NO" that some folk do not understand.

I dont understand why people are saying i have not listened. What i was trying to say is if i replace the oil feed pipe and replace the oil, and it runs ok could i still drive it with a broken turbo. Thanks for all your advice btw :thumbup:

If it is just the turbo will this one be ok?

ebay item 180628067218

Edited by pokerdemon

Nearly..

That is a K03 turbo, which is for the 150 bhp engines. You need a K03S turbo which has a different impellor.

The k03s looks like this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/KO3S-K03S-TURBO-LOW-MILES-NO-CRACKS-GOLF-A3-ETC-/270710922255?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3f07a0dc0f

On this photo (stolen from another site), the left is te k03s (correct) turbo

33383790011_large.jpg

I dont understand why people are saying i have not listened. What i was trying to say is if i replace the oil feed pipe and replace the oil, and it runs ok could i still drive it with a broken turbo. Thanks for all your advice btw :thumbup:

If it is just the turbo will this one be ok?

ebay item 180628067218

In answer to your question yes you can drive a car with a turbo that has blown(perhaps by a bearing collapse due to heat build up with not enough oil cooling it down and lubricating bearing)

But the point is why?

You will have to load the car up with oil as it is going to burn it quickly and blow it straight out the exhaust. If you need to get it to a garage that is local perhaps yes do it. But if you mean continue to drive, not recomemded.

Good luck buddy, and hope it is only turbo. You may be very very lucky and it just be the pick up pipe, as car is going to sound like a bag of nails with no oil running around it.

Edited by Bowders1