HVAC Recirculate setting

Sumain

Hi All,

I like to have the air recirculate setting "on" most of the time.

Is there a way to have this as the default setting in the Yeti?

Quite often I only remember to put it on after getting some bad smells or fumes from the outside.

It does have an "A" (automatic?) setting also, which I have never used. My Yeti is an Elegance model with Climatronic A.C.

Sumain

Hi All,

I like to have the air recirculate setting "on" most of the time.

Is there a way to have this as the default setting in the Yeti?

Quite often I only remember to put it on after getting some bad smells or fumes from the outside.

It does have an "A" (automatic?) setting also, which I have never used. My Yeti is an Elegance model with Climatronic A.C.

Sumain

It does have an Auto setting. Press the button until the right hand light is lit. LH light= recirc on. RH light= recirc Auto.

You are strongly advised to NOT use recirc for a long time as the air in the car will become stale unless the windows are open.( see P104 in the users Manual)

It does have an Auto setting. Press the button until the right hand light is lit. LH light= recirc on. RH light= recirc Auto.

You are strongly advised to NOT use recirc for a long time as the air in the car will become stale unless the windows are open.( see P104 in the users Manual)

Hear, hear - likely to lead to drowsiness as well, and so dangerous to you and other road users. Why would you want the recirculate button on constantly unless you were only ever driving around a petro-chemical plant?

But surely that is the whole point of the Auto setting?!?! It will be open as if it is off and will only close when it "smells" something so there is no way it will make you drowsy if always left on Auto. I've also wanted this to be on by default.

Just select the auto recirc r/h light as above. When you lock the car and reopen & restart it should be still lit.....Elsie the Helipad's is...

Mike

Not in my Monster. If I select Auto and get in and out of the car it is not selected anymore next time I get in... :no:

Will try the "A" (Automatic) setting today on my way back from work.

Need to check how quick it is to respond to any fumes / smells.

Thanks for all the replies.

But surely that is the whole point of the Auto setting?!?! It will be open as if it is off and will only close when it "smells" something so there is no way it will make you drowsy if always left on Auto. I've also wanted this to be on by default.

What is your definition of a "smell"? How can an electronic sensor decide what is offensive to you? Obviously sensors can detect a hydrocarbon or, possibly, smoke but what about cow poo being sprayed on fields or the scent of the dolly bird walking in front of your Yeti?

What is your definition of a "smell"? How can an electronic sensor decide what is offensive to you? Obviously sensors can detect a hydrocarbon or, possibly, smoke but what about cow poo being sprayed on fields or the scent of the dolly bird walking in front of your Yeti?

It was my understanding (i) that the auto recirculate would only happen from time to time to assist the aircon in keeping a stable temperature/level of humidity (it can't possibly react to, and choose between, different 'smells' as has been pointed out), and (ii) that the original query was about manually setting recirculate to be always on, which IMHO is not a good idea.

Edited by hmibennett

It was my understanding (i) that the auto recirculate would only happen from time to time to assist the aircon in keeping a stable temperature/level of humidity (it can't possibly react to, and choose between, different 'smells' as has been pointed out), and (ii) that the original query was about manually setting recirculate to be always on, which IMHO is not a good idea.

This is pasted text from the 11-2010 Owners Manual, page 104. It shows that automatic air distribution uses air pollution sensors to control pollutants being sucked into the vehicle from the exterior. It does not effect temperature or humidity levels.

Recirculated air mode

In recirculated air mode air is sucked out of the interior of the vehicle

and then fed back into the interior. When the automatic air distribution

control is switched on,an air quality sensor measures the concentration

of pollutants in the drawn-in air.

Recirculated air mode prevents polluted air outside the vehicle from getting into the

vehicle, for example when driving through a tunnel or when standing in a traffic jam. If

a considerable increase in concentration of pollutants is recognized by the air quality

sensor, when the automatic air distribution control is switched on, the air distribution

control will temporarily be switched off. If the concentration of pollutants decreases to

the normal level, the air distribution control is automatically switched off so that fresh

air can be guided into the vehicle interior.

This is pasted text from the 11-2010 Owners Manual, page 104. It shows that automatic air distribution uses air pollution sensors to control pollutants being sucked into the vehicle from the exterior. It does not effect temperature or humidity levels.

Recirculated air mode

Recirculated air mode prevents polluted air outside the vehicle from getting into the

vehicle, for example when driving through a tunnel or when standing in a traffic jam. If

a considerable increase in concentration of pollutants is recognized by the air quality

sensor, when the automatic air distribution control is switched on, the air distribution

control will temporarily be switched off. If the concentration of pollutants decreases to

the normal level, the air distribution control is automatically switched off so that fresh

Thank you. Exactly as I understood it. So it does close by itself when it "smells" something and be open for total fresh air (and thus no drowsiness) the rest of the time. Now to keep it like that permanently... (Need to check Rockhopper's settings if his indeed does stay on all the time...)

Recirculated air mode

We know all this. Now what is their definition of a pollutant? Is it just traffic fumes and hydrocarbon level? Is it the level of oxygen in the air or what?

As I understand it the sensor measures NOX, CO2 and CO. It would not measure dust from stone cutting on roadworks nor would it measure smells. So I would suggest that this control is only operated manually as required. Auto operation seems a waste of time.

Not in my Monster. If I select Auto and get in and out of the car it is not selected anymore next time I get in... :no:

I checked mine again this morning....still on auto recirc, and after a few journeys still on....

Mike

I checked mine again this morning....still on auto recirc, and after a few journeys still on....

Mike

Interesting. I'll have to experiment with mine more!

We know all this. Now what is their definition of a pollutant? Is it just traffic fumes and hydrocarbon level? Is it the level of oxygen in the air or what?

As I understand it the sensor measures NOX, CO2 and CO. It would not measure dust from stone cutting on roadworks nor would it measure smells. So I would suggest that this control is only operated manually as required. Auto operation seems a waste of time.

Well I leave mine on Auto most of the time, and can confirm it does "smell" the dirty lorries in front of me, AND the smelly sewerage works on the way to work. In both instances it closes the external intake VERY quickly.

So, please explain why it is a waste of time?

Well I leave mine on Auto most of the time, and can confirm it does "smell" the dirty lorries in front of me, AND the smelly sewerage works on the way to work. In both instances it closes the external intake VERY quickly.

Because it only reacts to "Brains SA":giggle:

It must be very scary knowing that you have been entrusted with such an onerous level of knowledge.

Me, I am just plain thick, I thought there was a miniature chemist located under the bonnet busily analysing things. But apparently I am wrong, It appears that the HVAC is controlled by a fast response gas analyser which when set to auto will trigger actuators controlling exterior air inducement.

And now for the really exciting bit, as we all know (apart from you) gas is a random group of atoms and molecules, a smell or odour is actually a gas, Ergo - the sensors in the Yeti ventilation air intakes will detect both gas and odour.

So Llanigraham you are totally correct.

It must be very scary knowing that you have been entrusted with such an onerous level of knowledge.

Me, I am just plain thick, I thought there was a miniature chemist located under the bonnet busily analysing things. But apparently I am wrong,

Far be it for me to disagree with you. It is so sad to read such critical comments from someone who has no knowledge of my experience, but I suppose, in this world, arrogance rules OK.

And now for the really exciting bit, as we all know (apart from you) gas is a random group of atoms and molecules, a smell or odour is actually a gas, Ergo - the sensors in the Yeti ventilation air intakes will detect both gas and odour.

A smell or odour can also be in the form of solid particles -- dust for example. Oh and having worked in the gas industry for 30 years , I have been entrusted with a very considerable knowledge of the properties of gasses.

Edited by Terfyn

Far be it for me to disagree with you. It is so sad to read such critical comments from someone who has no knowledge of my experience, but I suppose, in this world, arrogance rules OK.

A smell or odour can also be in the form of solid particles -- dust for example. Oh and having worked in the gas industry for 30 years , I have been entrusted with a very considerable knowledge of the properties of gasses.

But not, perhaps of spelling? (Sorry - gases!)

But not, perhaps of spelling? (Sorry - gases!)

Sorry but It can be spelt either gases or gasses (OED) The second spelling is more usual in the USA. - I worked there on the salt cavity storage of pressurised gas for some time.

Edited by Terfyn

Terfyn,

I think Stan was being sarcastic! :giggle:

How do you know there isn't a little man in there?

Have you ever known a little European? Now the XT was stuffed with little Japanese men, winding the clockwork, checking the seat-belts were fastened and so on.

I would guess the Yeti has something like a CO or smoke sensor similar to the ones used in houses. How it senses sewage is a mystery 'cos mine would be permanently closed as it is muck spreading time at the moment. Four months of accumulated poo sprayed high, far and wide over the fields. We are all VERY nice to the farmers at this time of year!!:dull: