Buying a Favia VRS (Diesel), what to look out for.

luke_a

Hi

I've currently got a Skoda Octavia, but I need another car as the missus will be passing her test soon and will need a car. As she will be driving the kids around, it makes sense for her to have the Octavia and for me to get something smaller.

When I bought my Octavia, it had 117,000 miles on it, so I'm happy to buy a Diesel Skoda with plenty of miles on it.

Whilst I've been reading that section of the forum I have noticed that there are common faults with the Octavia, so I just wondered if you were looking to buy a second hand Fabia VRS what would you watch out for, and what sort of prices would you look at.

My budget for car and insurance/tax/etc is about £3000, so roughly the budget for the car is £2000-2500. Ideally I would like a VRS, as my Octavia is a bit boring when you put your foot down, but I've noticed the VRS have held their value better than the non-VRS models.

I've looked on autotrader, and found a few that fit the budget. Then I looked on ebay, hoping there would be something cheaper. There is, but it looks like it has been driven into a tree, and all the road worthy ones are well over my budget and their value.

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers

Luke

You'll find a high mileage and early 53 plate vRS should fit the budget.

Or if not look at an Elegance spec 1.9 TDI 100bhp - they go just as well although they lack the looks and some toys.

/\ for the price the op is looking at you'll be lucky if it has any of the above

What sort of budget is more realistic then? No one does an expensive service, then sells their car, so all high mileage ones I am looking at doing the Cambelt.

I bought my Octavia when it was 3 years old, just had its first MOT, and it only cost me £3995. Sure it had 117,000 miles on it, and was due a cambelt service, but it's an Elegance spec with all the extras, so I got hell of a lot of car for the money.

I'll be buggered if I am paying any more than that for its baby brother. So these comedians on Autotrader with their 6 year old cars, with a high mileage, wanting £6000+ for it can get stuffed. It simply isn't worth that much.

There's a 53 plate for £2750 on Autotrader that might be worth a look. Shame it's yellow.

Edited by luke_a

I think jase is right tbh. You`ll struggle to get a vrs for less than £3k tbh.

The yellow one has a awful white roof and white wing mirrors, and has also been on there for ages, which makes you wonder whats wrong with it, considering its £500 less than any other vrs on there.

£3,500ish will get you a high mile, half decent, average condition fabia vrs.

Matt

I guess the bonus with buying from an owners club/forum like this is, you can at least see a bit of history about the car, and any issues they've posted about :)

Looking to sell mine, had it from brand new, joined the forum 2 weeks before I picked her up so ALL my posts about her are here for all to see. If you can be bothered to look, I cant remember ever posting about a major problem.

Black Magic 2004 54MY vRS

1 owner (me)

Serviced every 10,000 miles

Oil change evey 6000 miles

Only 37,000 miles (always used the wifes car for days out with kids/shopping etc

Sailed through every MOT - can produce them

Bodywork A1

Interior A1

Two new front alloys (changed under warranty)

NO mods (never saw the point - so a good blank canvas for anyone wanting to)

ANY inspection welcome.

Looking at around £4500

Not yet advertised anywhere because I want to give her a nice valet before I take pics to post for her for sale (i have older pics but that wont show its current condition)

Its a cliche, BUT I'd bet first to see will buy.

Not desperate to sell, but probably will if the right offer came in (really need a bigger car).

Neil

Edited by carefree

Looking to sell mine, had it from brand new, joined the forum 2 weeks before I picked her up so ALL my posts about her are here for all to see. If you can be bothered to look, I cant remember ever posting about a major problem.

Black Magic 2004 54MY vRS

1 owner (me)

Serviced every 10,000 miles

Oil change evey 6000 miles

Only 37,000 miles (always used the wifes car for days out with kids/shopping etc

Sailed through every MOT - can produce them

Bodywork A1

Interior A1

Two new front alloys (changed under warranty)

NO mods (never saw the point - so a good blank canvas for anyone wanting to)

ANY inspection welcome.

Looking at around £4500

Not yet advertised anywhere because I want to give her a nice valet before I take pics to post for her for sale (i have older pics but that wont show its current condition)

Its a cliche, BUT I'd bet first to see will buy.

Not desperate to sell, but probably will if the right offer came in (really need a bigger car).

Neil