Best method of scratch repair?

2SkodaFamily

Whilst washing and polishing the car this afternoon, I noticed quite a few scratches (mostly minor). Most a noticeably deep (i.e. you can feel them with a nail) and are whiteish underneath.

This to me means that they are too deep to polish out, so I'm looking at some other method to fill the scratch. Black colour magic? Any other suggestions?

Oh, I almost forgot, there are a few stone chips which are down to the metal.

Anyone got any experience of the dealers touch up pens? Would it be better to let some of the paint out onto a plate or something and then use a small brush to apply it rather than use the pen?

Skoda touch up sticks are definately much better than ordering paint elsewhere either a bodyshop or online etc, colour match is spot-on which you'd think is a given but in some cases it's not.

Little tip re application - cut off about an inch of masking tape from a roll, roll up tightly then cut one end into a V with scissors/craft knife then pick up some paint from the stick...steady hand and your away.

Little tip re application - cut off about an inch of masking tape from a roll, roll up tightly then cut one end into a V with scissors/craft knife then pick up some paint from the stick...steady hand and your away.

For a visual representation of Chris's method above have a look at the below:

As I had seen the Maserati before the detail, I knew of a few areas where some paint had been chipped off so Chris bought along a little touch up kit in the same colour:

DSC05060.jpg

DSC05061.jpg

Looking good:

DSC05064.jpg

DSC05074.jpg

Similar story on the other side:

DSC05071.jpg

DSC05072.jpg

DSC05073.jpg

And here is a top tip, folding some 3M 3434 Masking Tape to a tip, this can be used to fill stone chips:

DSC05065.jpg

DSC05066.jpg

DSC05067.jpg

DSC05068.jpg

This was carried out on a friends Maserati Gran Turismo.......... :thumbup:

Mix the the touch up paint with the lacquer. Go to Shinararma and they do a blob remover kit. It removes only the touch up paint and no the surrounding paint work. Saves using sanding paper and much safer. :thumbup:

Mix the the touch up paint with the lacquer. Go to Shinararma and they do a blob remover kit. It removes only the touch up paint and no the surrounding paint work. Saves using sanding paper and much safer. :thumbup:

Hi mate, any possibilities of a link to the blob remover kit?

Unfortunately my VRS has suffered numerous paint chips on the bonnet and front splitter already, and I am not overly confident in using sandpaper on a nearly new car, so this sounds ideal.

Thanks

Is this as good as stone chip repairs get? I thought you would add the paint up in layers and then wet and dry back?

Maybe my reply was hasty, this was a touch up job and nothing more, we had spent all day on the car and had no time to do what I think your looking to do.

Ofcourse the job can be better given time and layering.

Maybe my reply was hasty, this was a touch up job and nothing more, we had spent all day on the car and had no time to do what I think your looking to do.

Ofcourse the job can be better given time and layering.

That's good, I thought so. What grade of wet and dry do use for this? I'm assuming that you start with one grade and finish with something finer? And what about the lacquer?

Thanks,

Martin.

That's good, I thought so. What grade of wet and dry do use for this? I'm assuming that you start with one grade and finish with something finer? And what about the lacquer?

Thanks,

Martin.

I would suggest doing a little more research but one of the better guides online is the following:

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=20127

:thumbup: