YETI WITH DSG ON BOARD

bconlanii

I am giving serious consideration to buying a Yeti with the DSG auto box on board. As I understand it, I have only two engine choices with this, and of those two, I am looking at the 1.2TSi. Thoughts anyone?

Cheers

Depends on your needs. If your driving does not involve at least one of the following:

- much high speed highway cruising

- pulling heavy trailes frequently

- need 4wd

then the 1.2 TSI DSG is a more than adequate option. It's still one of the best cars I have ever had to drive on highways, but the relatively small engine combined with the aerodynamics of a brick wall means that fuel economy declines rapidly when the speed reaches 100 kmh or so. And when it comes to pulling, I have pulled a boat occasionally without problems, but there are better engine options for this one. I have a 1.2 TSI DSG, and it's really an amazing engine!

The petrol 1.2tsi uses a dry clutch 7speed DSG gearbox.

The diesel CR140 used a wet plate 6 speed DSG gearbox.

I am very familiar with the 6speed DSG having had one on my last car and on my current Yeti.

The current 6 speed box is amazing, so much better than my previous one. I personally would not by a manual any more.

As for performance, I like lots so I have a remapped CR140, which puts out around 180bhp. and around 440Nm torque....emoticon-0136-giggle.gif

Mike

The petrol 1.2tsi uses a dry clutch 7speed DSG gearbox.

The diesel CR140 used a wet plate 6 speed DSG gearbox.

I am very familiar with the 6speed DSG having had one on my last car and on my current Yeti.

The current 6 speed box is amazing, so much better than my previous one. I personally would not by a manual any more.

As for performance, I like lots so I have a remapped CR140, which puts out around 180bhp. and around 440Nm torque....emoticon-0136-giggle.gif

Mike

How has the Yeti changed after the remap ? faster to 60mph no doubt, but has the MPG gone down as a result ?

MPG has improved a little

more torque all round

more fun had by allemoticon-0140-rofl.gif

It uses higher gears so it uses less fuel.

Dramatic improvement. well worth the cost as it is soooo much more drivable.

I don't drive fast, but enjoy the torque.

Yes the 0-60 is around the low 8's now, more impressive higher up though.

The Yeti will nerve make an economical autobahn cruiser due to be being shaped like a brick, best fuel consumption seems to be around the 55-60mph mark. drops away after that.

It is a fantastic long distance vehicle, with many owners, including me having driven long distances without any problems, unlike with other cars.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for taking the trouble to reply. Has anybody experienced serious technical problems with the DSG gearbox. I did hear repair costs can be quite high, especially if a re-build is required. Also, has anyone any preferences as to leasing over outright purchase? Thanks again

Brian

Not heard of any recent problems with the DSG, though mine has for some reason on 2 separate occasions selected a false neutral whilst using the tiptronic. Putting back into drive rectified problem. Being looked at under warranty.

As long as you have warranty you don't have to worry about cost!

PCP is a good way of getting a new car and changing it every 3 years or so. Again you won't then have out of warranty problems.

I've not heard of any DSG problems with the latest boxes.

I am giving serious consideration to buying a Yeti with the DSG auto box on board. As I understand it, I have only two engine choices with this, and of those two, I am looking at the 1.2TSi. Thoughts anyone?

Cheers

Quite simply, if you don't need 4x4 go for the 1.2 TSi.

The 4x4 option also adds the diesel engine, so you will have to pay about £4000 more.

We went for the 1.2 TSi with the DSG and it's a great little car for a good price.

OK, it doesn't have 4x4 and it does about 8mpg less, but for an average 10k miles per year that means you'll spend an extra £300(ish) on fuel at £6 per gallon. If depreciation is a percentage of the new price you'll also lose less come selling time on the 1.2 DSG.

That's why I'd say for for the 1.2 TSi unless you need 4x4.

And as an owner of several 4x4s I can honestly say that with a set of winter tyres a 2WD yeti will not have a lot of problems in bad weather unless you live up a mountain somewhere. A set of winter tyres and rims may cost you about £700 if you actually need them.

Cheers

I drove both yetis and preferred DSG. I would never buy a manual car again after driving my wife VW Bora 130 DSG for 6 years. Driving around south London with a bad back is no fun in a manual.

Went for diesel due the miles I do, but was seriously impressed with 1.2 dsg petrol at Allams at Epsom.

.... If depreciation is a percentage of the new price you'll also lose less come selling time on the 1.2 DSG..

As far as I am aware the evidence shows that a diesel will invariably depreciate less than a petrol.

I think what you are saying is that the 1.2 costs less to begin with so even though it may depreciate faster the overall loss of investment is less.

:yes: