vRS Import - Is it UK Spec?

I purchased a second hand Octavia vRS this afternoon and when I got it home i was devastated to discover from the service book that it had been PDI'd by a company in Malta in August 2007 :'( :doh: . The V5 document states it was first registered December 2007.

I have looked at other threads which talk about the pro's and cons of buying an import but what I want to know is how I can tell if it is a full UK spec car? I called the dealer and he is quite happy for me to return the car but he assured me that it is full UK spec. I paid top dollar for the car, but it has only done 15,000 miles. Is there a list anywhere that details what I should be getting on a 2007 vRS as standard?

Any help gratefully received

Edited by Morley

Hi

1 Read off the equipment codes (sticker on the service record booklet or also in the boot next to the spare tyre under the carpet).

2 Then input them into the web page http://igorweb.org/equidec/Default.aspx

3 This will return plain english descriptions of the equipment shipped with your car.

4 the code for the UK spec is B09 = Type approval Great Britain and NorthernIreland

5 Find someone friendly with a similar car and compare?

6 Alternatively, check www.parkers.co.uk . They review used cars and list equipment specs/options for each variant/trim level. They will list options and standard quipment, when they appeared and the cost of options.

On a practical note check with your insurance company. Here in Ireland they always ask whether or not it is a UK or Ireland spec. If not they start asking for more money to cover optional extras.

HTH

Edited by FriendlyFire

You should have no problem mate,a guy from the UK used to come to Malta and order new cars to UK spec to have them shipped and sold in the UK,it's not just skoda's but all i can say is that these cars are to UK spec,here in Malta we order the cars to UK spec since we drive on the left as well,the only difference is that we order them with the dials in kms and not miles,cars that used to be exported to the UK were factory ordered with the dials in miles to be ready.This guy bought mainly RS's and a few L&K's.These deals used to favour this dealer,which as far as i know was not an official dealer but a guy who sold different brand new different car brands,when we had our own currency,when we changed to Euro in 2008 it wasn't worth it anymore,i can assure you that all was done well here,PDI's and everything,all that was left to be done in the UK was register the car.If you pop over to a dealer and giv him the chassis number he should be able to print you from Etka what the car was equipped from when new.You should be more wary if it was some Japan import as although their cars are RHD they do not meet European specs.

As far as I know i don't know if there's a particular rule of what specs should the car have to be registered in the UK or any other country in that respect.As long as the car's basic features are according to what that country states like for example rear foglamps,speedo in miles etc etc there should have been no problems in registering the car in the UK,I mean if it wasn't legal they wouldn't have registered it.Equipment wise they all differ,some had Maxidot and some not,some rear electric windows and some not but that doens't mean that it's not up to UK spec.it all depended on how they were ordered from the factory ...

Importing cars from Malta was and is still common. One car supermarket I am aware of buys new cars in Malta and imports them into the UK, I just cant recall the name now.

Thank you for all your reassurances - however I'm now getting interested in what interested in what a true UK car codes are just to com pare with what I've got.....

E0A = No special edition

1D0 = Without trailer hitch

6UB = Left exterior mirror: electrically adjustable, convex

6TC = Right exterior mirror: electrically adjustable, aspherical

1KP = Disc brakes, rear

6FB = Body-colored exterior mirror housings

1AT = Electronic stabilization program (ESP)

3FA = Without roof insert (standard roof)

1N3 = Speed-related variable steering assist (Servotronic)

1NL = Covers for alloy wheels

H7D = Tires 225/40 R18 92Y xl

4UF = Drivers and front passenger air bag with front passenger air bag deactivation

4R4 = Power windows with comfort operation andcircuit breaker

3NW = Rear seat bench/backrest, split folding with center armrest

3QT = 3-point seat belts with tensioner and height adjustment, front

4X1 = Side air bag front

4A0 = Without seat heater

8L3 = Roof antenna

J1D = Battery 380 A (72 Ah)

7AH = Electronic vehicle immobilization devicewith alarm system, passenger compartmentcontrol and backup horn

8GU = Alternator 140 A

6Y0 = Without cruise control warning system

9AK = Climatronic with impact pressure control free of cfc

8RM = 8 speakers (passive)

7G0 = Without preparation for VTS (vehicle tracking system)

8YH = Radio, version 1

8GL = Alternator 120 A

8X0 = Without headlight washer system

4K3 = Radio remote controlled central locking operated from inside and safe securing

B51 = Special requirements Malta

G07 = Front shock absorption

QN1 = Drawer under left front seat

3L3 = Manual height adjustment for front seats

9P1 = Seat belt reminder, electric contact in buckle

7X0 = Without park distance control

9W0 = W/o car phone preparation/installation

8WR = Front fog lights

7A2 = CD changer

3GA = Without cargo area

QG1 = Service interval prolongation

0GG = Emission standard EU4

L55 = Suspension range 55 installation control only, no requirement forecast

7P4 = Manually adjustable lumbar support in front seats

F0A = No special purpose vehicle, standard equipment

3S4 = Preparation for roof load rack

2UC = Sports version

These codes from the service book don't highlight the fact that its got Dual Zone Climate Control, an Armrest in the front with an AUX connection inside and a Full Sized Spare Wheel in the boot! and more worryingly it doesn't list B09 = Type approval Great Britain and NorthernIreland

Can anyone show me theirs?

Edited by Morley

Other than the price and warranty I think the cars imported from malta by a certain car supermarket are std UK spec.

The V5 does not show that they are imports, just showing first reg date and the fact that the first owner only had it a day. Had quite an argument with a volvo garage selling an L&K a couple of years ago, they wouldn't accept it was an import because it wasn't stated on the v5, despite the service book showing it was delivered to and PDI'd by a Maltese garage.

To me that looks like you have a full 'UK Spec' car there.

Bear in mind that, depending on date of manufacture, not all 'genuine' UK cars of this vintage came with dual climate, 18" wheels and armrest - so I don't think you have anything to worry about at all. Yours looks fully equipped.

I think a lot of car supermarkets formed a relationship with Skoda dealers in Malta and simply ordered UK-spec cars through them. Same production line, same parts and same people making the cars as those that made the cars destined to come to Skoda UK. Remember that ALL cars sold in the EU (Malta is EU of course) have to meet the generic EU Type Approval requirements. The only additional UK requirements for TA relate to lighting and instrumentation (RHD headlights, at least a rear foglight on RHS and MPH speedo). I think you can relax and enjoy the car..

Edited by Hauptmann

Thank you all once again...I think a call to Customer Services to establish if B51 = Special requirements Malta rather than B09 = Type approval Great Britain and NorthernIreland has any significance, a call to my insurers and a call to the dealer to ensure I am indeed getting the full Skoda

• Comprehensive parts and labour warranty
  • A year’s free RAC Roadside Assistance
  • Multi-point vehicle inspection check
  • Vehicle status checks
  • 30 day/1,000 mile exchange

If all that checks out OK I'll keep the car. :sweat:

Really, I would relax about it. There are vast numbers of these 'import' cars around and at 3+ years old it is unlikely to impact on future resale value.

If it has a MPH speedo then it will be UK spec., I bet Skoda UK don't know what 'special requirements Malta' means - I reckon it is more to do with preparation for shipping. Every country has its own 'special requirements' code with Skoda - its probably just a flag to say where and how the car is to be shipped. Type Approval is now uniform accross the EU, apart from lights an speedos for LHD/RHD and MPH/KPH markets.

Much better to have an 'import car' in good condition than a 'UK' car in poorer condition. If the car is a good one then don't worry.

Hi Hauptmann

I am certainly a little more relaxed this morning. The car drove like a dream on my 60 mile journey to work this morning. I will clarify the position with my insurers, see what I can glean from customer services and confirm the Skoda Used Car Warranty situation with the dealer...and then enjoy.

I will post back when sorted if anyone is interested.

When you speak to your insurers you should clarify to them that it is an EU-sourced car to UK spec - a so-called 'parallel import'. To some insurers an 'import' is a grey-import (i.e. a car designed for a non-EU market). There are a lot of Japanese 'grey imports' and these DO cost more to insure becuase parts are often not the same as UK-market cars and so repair costs can be a lot higher. A decent insurance company should not load the premium on an EU-sourced car.

OK so here's an update.

My insurers are happy that the vehicle is EU sourced (Parallel Import) and won't affect my premium.

Skoda UK confirmed the cars origin and put me onto VWG Type Approval department to get clarification of the differences between 51 = Special requirements Malta rather than B09 = Type approval Great Britain and NorthernIreland. I awaiting a response via email. I imagine this will take some time.

Spoke to the dealer who agreed that the car was what is termed a parallel import but would stand by the car as perfectly OK.

I then discovered that the dealer doesn't normally take part in or recommend the Skoda Used Approved Vehicle scheme which uses the insurance based Car Care Plan 12 month warranty. The dealer was only offering 3 months (I had wrongly assumed they were signed up to the Skoda approved scheme). He has subsequently offered me 6 months dealer warranty. He is also still happy to undo the deal and refund my money and give me my old car back.

So what do I do -

• go for the insurance based 12 month warranty
  • go for a 6 month dealer warranty
  • push for a 12 month dealer warranty
  • or have my old car back :'(

I think at the end of the day any warranty offered on a used car by a dealer is going to be some sort of insurance-based policy. The Skoda policy (a rebadged CCP policy, provided by GM) is good. An alternative is a company like Warranty Direct. You should be able to get 12 months on one of their premium policies for around £22/month.

Feeling a bit hacked off now...the guys in my office have been out to vet the car in the car park and noticed it has got a scrape about 4 inches long down to the plastic on the rear spoiler that I hadn't noticed. And people say "why buy a new car"?! I'm beginning to wish I had. :(

Edited by Morley

The car is over 3 years old, it doesn't matter which car you buy at that age there are bound to be some signs of wear and tear (stone chips, scratches etc) many of which you won't spot until you detail it yourself. Basically if you want new, buy new, but it will only remain new for a month or so at best before it is christened by a stone/ branch/ careless scroat at the supermarket.

If the fact is an import is going to spoil your enjoyment of the car then send it back, otherwise just get on with it, It was declared new at first reg in the UK afaik so know one knows any different, it just happened to arrive in Blighty via Malta and having been PD'd. NO skoda's are built in the UK so by that reasoning every one is an import. It as been running round this country like every other for the last 3 years so one would presume it is as likely to be a good or bad example as any other 3 year old car you might buy.

The only point is the first owner will have bought it cheap, and if the garage knew it was a supermarket import will have probably knocked them down accordingly, but so long as you are happy with the price you paid for the condition/ mileage....... hope that makes you feel better.

Edited by postmanpat

Am I the only one thinking that 15000 miles in just over three years is suspiciously low? I do realise it can happen of course.

Regarding the scrape, surely if it was that big you'd notice before you bought? Could it have happened since? :wonder:

You don't state whether it was a Skoda dealer you bought it from-I'm a bit confused by what you say about the warranty. If it was, surely they wouldn't retail a car with damage like that? Especially if, as you say, you paid 'top dollar' for it?

When I checked the car it was wet and when I picked it up it was dusk. It looks as though it happened a while ago so I'll bring it up tomorrow with the dealer - yes he is a franchised Skoda dealer. Skoda dealers do not have to market their cars with the Skoda Used Approved Vehicle scheme - or so I learnt today -some prefer to do their own marketing and offer their own warranty and after sales service because they think it is better for their customers. Anyway gotta go -60 miles home to pick up my 5 year old in the "new" car :rofl: , I#ll sort the issues with the dealer tomorrow.

Maybe you could get the dealer to sort out the scratch for you, if not there are companies like "chips away" who come out to you and repair that sort of cosmetic damage at a fraction of the cost of a bodyshop. Me I'd look into what you get covered with the different warranties and make up my mind accordingly. 15000 miles isn't that low a mileage to be putting on a car, a collegue at work only puts 2000 miles a year onto his car.

2007 was the change over year when the spec of the vRS in the UK changed to include the climatronic dual zone climate control, the "Jumbo" armrest with the aux in socket and electric rear windows as standard, all of which were previously options. It sounds like it could be a UK spec car originally supplied to Malta for parallel import. If your enquiries with VW type approval department come back OK then I'd relax and enjoy your new motor, they are excellent cars.

Ian

P.S. Morley, I'd have a careful look at the spare wheel if I were you, I would think it has a 16" wheel and tyre combination rather than the standard 17" or optional 18" wheels you have on the car. That is what Skoda will call a space saver wheel.

Edited by countryboy

15000 miles isn't high but if the car has done this mileage on Malta it will have probably done a lot of very short journeys. As long as it's had regular oll changes and the battery and brakes are not worn then it should be a great car. You were probably seduced by the low mileage. Relax you will enjoy the car.

15000 miles isn't high but if the car has done this mileage on Malta it will have probably done a lot of very short journeys. As long as it's had regular oll changes and the battery and brakes are not worn then it should be a great car. You were probably seduced by the low mileage. Relax you will enjoy the car.

I doubt it has done any miles on Malta except for driving to and from the port. PDI'd in August 2007 and registered in UK in December 2007 I would say it was a car ordered by an independant retailer, shipped to this country and parked in a compound until the first owner bought it.

Ian

I dont know how much you paid for the car, but I think you are being overly negative.

I work in the motor trade and we have been buying, selling and repairing VAG cars for many years.

There are thousands and thousands of parallel import Skodas on the roads. Not to mention Golfs and so on. Almost every other Subaru we see has been bought in via Malta or cyprus.

The game is that the UK car supermarkets put orders for UK-spec cars via Maltese dealers. Under EEC laws the manufacturers are forced to supply them. The cars come off the ship in Malta and are PDI'd before going back onto a ship and brought to UK. They are not used in Malta.

These are fully UK spec cars and there is they are not in any sense different to the UK cars, although the warranty can be one year less, but this is irrelevent on a 3 year old car. We offer just the same price on trade-in as a UK car and these cars go through the auctions and book the same as UK cars of the same age. No body is bothered anymore once the warranty is expired.

Skoda dealers, like any other car dealer, can offer whatever warranty they want. They probably dont take the Skoda Approved warranty because Skoda UK probably take 50% commission. CCP are good but not available to the retail customer, you would have to buy Warranty Direct or one of the others.

Regarding the 4" scratch I think you have to be realistic that this is a three year old car. We see three year old cars with much worse, and even low mileage one year old cars in rough condition, some owners are very rough on their cars.

One bonus of buying the import is that it will have been a private buyer, and they usually look after their cars more carefully than company drivers (run them in properly etc).

Edited by EGC