vRS FL 10reg ... TEST DRIVE ... UNIMPRESSED!

i took a 2010 vrs DSG with 8,000 miles on the clock for a test drive yesterday LEICESTER SKODA

it was a very bumpy ride with very loud tyre noise and didnt seem that quick

IS THIS NORMAL ??

Edited by roberto1954

Doesn't sound right to me, I would suggest you try driving another example. Tyre noise can be very specific to the model of tyre but that is a common complaint on the vrs.

Well, mine is a petrol, but its a manual, and yep, it does feel pretty quick

My wife has a Fabia 1.2 tsi (105bhp) which is pretty nippy, but feels like a horse and cart compared to the octy. Passed 4000 miles on it this morning, not used a drop of oil as of yet.

I wouldnt say the ride is bumpy, but I have an estate so not sure if the ride differs. Its easily quieter than my old Mk1 vRS Octy, although i do get a little bit of wind noise from passenger side (No, not the farting kind...)

Well happy with mine, but then I only do 10K a year in it

Steve

Well according to your profile you're in an A6. They're not exactly known for being soft so to find a VRS very harsh doesn't sound right.

I wonder if they've left the transport blocks in the springs, that's been flagged up on the site a few times.

Tyre noise, well TBH coming from an Audi to the VRS you probably will find the Skoda noisy. My A4 driving father-in-law thought the same. Tyres do make a big difference but I suspect it'll always seem noisier to you unless you do some soundproofing.

Speed wise you're coming from a pretty fast Audi to a pretty fast Skoda. You don't say if you were testing the petrol or diesel. But either way the Skoda will be faster but not that much faster.

Speed wise you're coming from a pretty fast Audi to a pretty fast Skoda. You don't say if you were testing the petrol or diesel. But either way the Skoda will be faster but not that much faster.

A 3.0TDI A6 is quite a bit quicker than a TDI VRS, in standard form anyway. (I found out the hard way :giggle: )3.0 makes a lovely sound, too.

Having said that the CR TDI is sometimes deceptively quick as it's so linear-ie no big sudden boost like on the PD. :yes:

i took a 2010 vrs DSG with 8,000 miles on the clock for a test drive yesterday LEICESTER SKODA

IS THIS NORMAL ??

I'd try another :thumbup:

IS THIS NORMAL ??

I don´t know about the quickness of the VRS but on the noise side of things even the 1.6 CR does make very loud tyre noise.

In fact you here more tyre noise than engine noise.

Using the 16" rims with Bridgestone turanza. ( thought of puting nitrogen in,had it before and does help a bit)

Will put Michelin next

A 3.0TDI A6 is quite a bit quicker than a TDI VRS, in standard form anyway. (I found out the hard way :giggle: )3.0 makes a lovely sound, too.

Having said that the CR TDI is sometimes deceptively quick as it's so linear-ie no big sudden boost like on the PD. :yes:

You're right I stand corrected. It's quicker than the petrol too.

IS THIS NORMAL ??

Have they forgotten to remove the transit blocks at its PDI?

noise? Depends at what speed? Around town not an issue, motorways speeds its not overly quiet but I've owned worse. Though I would say taking out engine noise the fabia could be slightly quieter.

Try another one first and see how that goes

At a wild guess this is a car at Farmers Skoda. Say hi to the Service Manager Steve from me - he won't forget me as I cost them a turbo, clutch, flywheel and A/C compressor under their 3 month warranty. Sounds to me like a combination of crap types and an alignment issue - fairly common on VRS 's due to the wheel width. The lack of power is something else though.

I am in and out of different cars all day as part of my job. Mainly VAG, but also lots of other brands. You have to get things into perspective. It makes me laugh when I see people complaining that the vRS is not fast enough or doesnt handle. The vRS is averagely noisy, it is quicker than 98% of cars on the road and handles better than 98% of cars on the road. It does almost everything as well as a Golf GTI or A3, but with more room and for less money. As an all round package it is hard to beat. That is why I have one when I could have almost any other car (within reason), they make a great good to drive workhorse and the overall image reputation and residuals on Skodas are now strong (look at the auction prices of the ex-police Octavias).

The FL version seems to be a little noisier then the preFL version, I think they removed some soundproofing to keep the weight down.

hi all,

yes it was the tdi CR 2010

drove a pre-facelift 2008 CR and it was much quieter

suppose im going to stick with the audi for now after the disapiontment

think driving A8's has spoilt me

i so love the looks of the octy though..

ok the CR doesn't "feel" as fast as what the PD block does i.e. the 1.9 in your fabia. My fabia "feels" alot faster than the Octavia but in true terms of speed there is little in it (infact I would say the octavia is actually quicker). Its much more refined than the old units, infact you could even say its sweet.

As for noise and ride its all on what you are comparing against, I'm sure the A8 you have is a totally different set up to the octavia as is the fabia in someways (both for smooth ride over sporty ness). Plus you cannot compare what was a £30k-40k car with one thats nearly half its price.

Still the A8 is a great car why change if you dont need enjoy it I say!

So you are comparing it with an Audi A8....Not quite sure what you expect really, in terms of value for money the Vrs is excellent for what you get, it isn't a Maserati nor will it ride like a Rolls Royce, however personally I prefer mine to the Rock hard E Class Mercedes I owned before the Skoda, less shiney woodwork but a darned sight more fun to drive and less bumpy. I suggest you try others in case this one is a lemon, but in the end if you just don't like it buy something else and good luck with finding another that is as much fun, flexible and comfortable for the money...

Edited by hugothebear