Changing oil filter

chance1110

Not sure what is to be stumped about personally, this is as basic as it gets.

Remove sump pug and drain the oil (you probably need to remove the plastic undertray to get to the sump plug), whilst the oil is draining replace the filter, then refit the sump plug, put the correct amount of oil in (making sure it is the correct VW spec) run the engine and check for leaks, if non are present then re fit the undertray, check the oil level again after the engine has been stopped for a few minutes as you will 'loose' a little in the new filter.

Personally I would get someone who knows what he is doing to watch over you whilst you are doing it.

dont thread the sump plug/sump as it will leak otherwise, a lot of people suggest changing the plug everytime with a new washer.

^^ yeah the washer is an integral part of the bolt, it is put on before the thread is rolled onto the bolt so it cannot be removed.. they are only about £1 from skoda anyway

you'll need a 32 or 36mm socket on an extension(or some large molegrips if you are a cheapskate like me) to undo the oil filter cap iirc, it's quite tricky to remove and refit the engine undertray if you've never done one before, they've got those stupid star washer things that push over some studs, plus iirc there is to 10mm bolts to undo too. 19mm spanner for the sump plug.

I now use a pump to remove the oil, having drained from the plug about 15 times - it's much quicker and less messy, and I get at least as much out, probably slightly more. I got a Pela pump from ebay for about £30/40.

If draining from the plug I would echo what Oet says - be wary of stripping the thread when refitting.

I often found the star key screws for the undertray would be missing, so I now secure it with parcel ties - just punch some small holes in the plastic moulding to thread them. They're more reliable than the screws.

The top of the filter housing should be easy to remove with an extension arm and socket - if it's tight it might be a bit awkward with molegrips.