Advice on Smartphone for Superb MY09 Please!

I am looking to replace my HTC Touch smartphone [which works well in the car] and would welcome any advice from fellow users on a suitable replacement. I need a phone that can sync with Microsoft Outlook and connect with my Superb Elegance [07/09]. Columbus installed as standard. Cost will always be an issue, but the phone should either be capable of being unlocked or linked to Virgin.

Any thoughts would be welcomed.

I am looking to replace my HTC Touch smartphone [which works well in the car] and would welcome any advice from fellow users on a suitable replacement. I need a phone that can sync with Microsoft Outlook and connect with my Superb Elegance [07/09]. Columbus installed as standard. Cost will always be an issue, but the phone should either be capable of being unlocked or linked to Virgin.

Any thoughts would be welcomed.

If your present phone is still working why change?

If your present phone is still working why change?

The phone connects well with my car but has started to switch off on a random basis and then requires re-booting. Thanks for you contribution. I was once told " if you have nothing usefull to say then say nothing" you may want to try this out.

Your requirement means that you need a mobile that has Windows Mobile® 6, doesn't it? Presumably, you've already got a Virgin contract/SIM but you don't want another HTC. However, these are assumptions on my part given the paucity of detail and budgetary limit (and I know nothing about HTC smartphones).

Google + eBay seems to be your route, as there are loads of unlocked mobiles available there (as I know, having bought my new BlackBerry Torch that way).

BTW, surely "any thoughts would be welcomed" means just that, doesn't it? Snippy replies tend to get snippy responses.

Ray

Maybe change the Bluetooth unit, to a new(er) one, then pick whichever phone you want! :)

Al.

ps. RAy and Myself have both done this - Much nicer knowing you can use anything you want!

Edited by ukcruiser

The phone connects well with my car but has started to switch off on a random basis and then requires re-booting. Thanks for you contribution. I was once told " if you have nothing usefull to say then say nothing" you may want to try this out.

OK that's me put in my place. I'll get my coat

Get an HTC Desire, Desire HD or Wildfire...if it works with HTC, stick with it. Don't buy an HTC Windows 7 phone, though - different software stacks. Alternatively, go to HTC.com and get the latest software update for the Touch, and reinstall and re-sync your original phone... it might fix the re-booting problem.

bestest,

M.

I have a Touch2 as well, The Desire is an Android phone so doesn't have RSAP unless things have changed, so you probably need to keep with a Windows based phone or go for a Blackberry (I also have an 8900 which works better than the Touch2).

Nokia's always seem to pair well so look at them also

If you stick with the rSAP based Bluetooth Module that is currently in your car, you are really limited.

BlackBerry Torch (8900) connection is hit and miss (mine missed) Samsung Galaxy S (the only Android currently with rSAP) is plasticky, but also hit and miss with some functionality, so really, a Nokia is almost your only choice, and even then, some new, high-end phones are missing rSAP support!

Al.

I suspect there'll be fewer and fewer high end phones with rSAP support, since fewer and fewer smartphones store data on the SIM, which is what rSAP gives access to. Win 7 phones don't support rSAP. However, on my new Elegance, my iPhone works brilliantly with the Columbus via a different BT profile. I guess if you don't want to change the module, your alternative is just to get a cheap Nokia which does support rSAP, and bung your SIM in it when you are in the car. I doubt you'll find any more new Windows Mobile 6.x phones now WP7 is launched.

bestest,

M.

I went with the Samsung Galaxy S - works perfectly with rSAP (not sure what lack of functionality ukcruiser was talking abt). I really like the phone so when I lost it, I went through your same dilemma. I decided to change the module (mine would have been similar to yours) to the latest one (once again thanks ukcruiser) and it now connects with everything that has bluetooth. But I also wanted the full rSAP functionality (yeah I know cake and eat it...) so bought another Galaxy off ebay for £200. It did take 2 goes to initially pair properly with the new bt unit but thats coz I hadnt unpaired from the previous box. Anyway, my advise is get the new BT module anyway. Then IF you want rSAP (new box does stuff like read yr texts out to you) dont buy Nokia as I didnt like them and the one I borrowed kept crashing, but buy Samsung Galaxy s or a Blackberry.

Hope that helps.

D

I went with the Samsung Galaxy S - works perfectly with rSAP (not sure what lack of functionality ukcruiser was talking abt). I really like the phone so when I lost it, I went through your same dilemma. I decided to change the module (mine would have been similar to yours) to the latest one (once again thanks ukcruiser) and it now connects with everything that has bluetooth. But I also wanted the full rSAP functionality (yeah I know cake and eat it...) so bought another Galaxy off ebay for £200. It did take 2 goes to initially pair properly with the new bt unit but thats coz I hadnt unpaired from the previous box. Anyway, my advise is get the new BT module anyway. Then IF you want rSAP (new box does stuff like read yr texts out to you) dont buy Nokia as I didnt like them and the one I borrowed kept crashing, but buy Samsung Galaxy s or a Blackberry.

Hope that helps.

D

Thanks for that but where do I get the new BT box and how do I get it configured?

Various threads recently all about it. Just have a look on the ICE forum and there is a long thread. There is also one in Superb forum by ukcruiser. Ebay is yr friend...and my car was built in Dec 2009, and no configuration needed - just plug and play - 3 small easy bolts then 2 cables.

Here is one:

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/189618-rsap-bluetooth-to-handsfree-sucess/

Edited by dtriggs

dtriggs,

Does your galaxy s download the phones contacts to the columbus with rsap.

For me the galaxy s only downloads the sims contacts but I can see the conacts already in the profile from my blackberry.

Other than that its a great phone.

Can you connect the galaxy s in both normal bluetooth as well as rsap.

Does phonebook download ok in normal bluetooth mode.

D

Hope that helps.

D