Burnt off a BMW M6

CmB

OK so the title is a complete lie but now i have your attention........ B)

I have just ordered a new chrome grill surround so that i can get it sprayed the same colour as my car. My question basically is does the chrome have to be stripped off somehow so that the primer sticks to it properly. A bodyshop i spoke to said that they couldnt guarentee the work as the primer may not stick to the chrome.

Any suggestions as to what would be the best way to get this done perfectly would be appreciated.

Thanks

Chris

I even read it as "Burnt off BY an M6" and had "what the hell did you expect?! all typed up ready to go! :)

With regards your chrome surround the best option is to remove it. most threads i've seen say scrape it off with a stanly knife blade or similar. Or i'm guessing some seriously coarse sand paper

Guest BigJase88

you can just rough the chrome up with some wet and dry so the primer has a key to stick to

obviously would be better completely stripped but it will take an age to rub off, or theres the alternative of leaving it submerged in thick bleach for a couple of weeks, bleach attacks the chrome and it falls off

i was wondering if there was some sort of stripping agent/chemical that could be used to get the chrome off. If not i guess the bleach method might be a thought.

I heard bleach can be used but I can't see how that would work TBH.

When I removed the chrome finish from my front V badge I sanded it down to bare plastic.

Fiddly but worth it IMO.

Throwing a spanner in, but does the grille really look better painted body colour rather than chrome? suppose its a taste thing but seems a fair expense to not necessarily improve the looks over standard..............yep........maybe iam finally getting old!! :-)

So to answer in the same vein as the topic title - break two eggs into a bowl, add a little water and some seasoning, pour into a buttered pan and cook until it sets - a perfect omelette! Enjoy :thumbup::rofl::giggle:

So to answer in the same vein as the topic title - break two eggs into a bowl, add a little water and some seasoning, pour into a buttered pan and cook until it sets - a perfect omelette! Enjoy :thumbup::rofl::giggle:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Throwing a spanner in, but does the grille really look better painted body colour rather than chrome? suppose its a taste thing but seems a fair expense to not necessarily improve the looks over standard..............yep........maybe iam finally getting old!! :-)

Initially i would probably say i was happy with the chrome but looking at the pics of the other black Fabs with a black grill surround i much prefer it. A couple of colleagues in work also said it would look better in black so i thought what the heck lets give it a go.

so let me get this straight...i just leave the chrome surround in a container of bleach for a week and the chrome dissolves and just falls off.

Does the bleach affect the plastic underneath or do i need to keep an eye on it so it just gets rid of the chrome?