Columbus Sat Nav issue

Vaman

Picked up my 2.0 TDi 110 Elegance today it's an ex demo with Columbus. 1st Reg September 2010

Drove back from Eastbourne to Dartford at no time got a fix on the Sat Nav.

Very familiar with Sat Nav have used Tom Tom for many years.

Anybody experienced 0/10 satellites received, even after several hours.

Any ideas, before I drive all the way back there again.

Thanks

That seems very unusual for the columbus sat-nav. But you don't have to go back to Eastbourne just take it to your local skoda dealer they will fix it for you.bill

Picked up my 2.0 TDi 110 Elegance today it's an ex demo with Columbus. 1st Reg September 2010

Drove back from Eastbourne to Dartford at no time got a fix on the Sat Nav.

Very familiar with Sat Nav have used Tom Tom for many years.

Anybody experienced 0/10 satellites received, even after several hours.

Any ideas, before I drive all the way back there again.

Thanks

Congrats on your new beast Vaman :yes:

Let us know how you get on, oh, and we want to see some pics too :giggle:

Sounds like the aerial isn't connected. I take it you have the shark fin at the back of the car.

Best to take it into Skoda local to you. Mine worked 'out of the box' being Allams. James programmed it for me including putting my home address in for me before I collected my car.

Pdi issue I guess.

If you press the map button twice you'll get a little window popup, from the window you can select GPS from the dropdown menu. if the number of sats being recieved is zero then the gps aerial is either disconnected or faulty. The GPS aerial is on the roof of the car (Shark fin), and the connector is the blue one on the back of the columbus.

Thanks all, I will go and investigate.

I spoke with the dealer yesterday and 2 different people confirmed the Sat Nav was working as they used it.

At the moment my Yeti thinks it's about a mile off Beachy Head in the sea!!

Swimming lessons I guess.......

Ok swam out to the car and checked the GPS status again via the Map/Map button function. :'(

No satellites. My sharks fin looks good in the water but I guess its lost a connection.

The Columbus end is all sealed off, currently I cannot see an easy access route to the rear of the unit to confirm connection.

The shark fin is a reasonable distance from the seat belt access point on the roof lining so not sure that would help either.

To answer your question Agerbundsen

No the files are already loaded, seems there is about 12GB of data on the HDD already.

Problem with ex demo is you are never quite sure what you will get.

The dealer left the manuals out, downloads are my current manual till he gets them to me.

No overly impressed with them so far.

My only issue with the Columbus is the price. List price is what, £1400?

We gave up on that idea, bought a slight second for £550 and sold the Bolero for £200.

£1400 with a roof mounted ariel or £350 for an under dash mounted one?

We went for the latter.

No issues at all, it usually runs at 6/10 satellites and seems to work fine.

To answer your question Agerbundsen

No the files are already loaded, seems there is about 12GB of data on the HDD already.

Problem with ex demo is you are never quite sure what you will get.

The dealer left the manuals out, downloads are my current manual till he gets them to me.

No overly impressed with them so far.

The downloadable manual is as good as the printed version from the dealer.

I kinda agreed on the Skoda manuals being somewhat difficult to read/use. I think this is related to the original language - Czech is quite different from English/Germanic languages, and the Czech naturally use their own language in their thinking process. When translated, the compositions tend to feel illogical to English speakers.

I have a Czech colleague and had some Czech customers, where the same problem crops up. You think that you have cleared ll points in a discussion and that everyone understood and agreed, but later it appears not to be so.

Currently waiting for the dealer to contact me with a loan car arrangement so they can fix the unit. So far I am less than impressed with them as dealer but am prepared to give them leeway at the moment.

I have extracted the headend and found connectors all solidly in place. Car at last check was it's way to Prague having left the English channel.

I agree with Agerbundsen on the manual - it is shot through with vocabulary and usage errors, and I think it is a very tardy effort indeed. Reminds me of some of the very early Chinese instruction manuals that you got with various products. If I had the time I would go through it, make corrections, and mail it to them - I have noticed well over a hundred at a guess - I used to proof read articles so these things do tend to leap out and irritate. Plus it is well documented how some of the instructions are, well, less than perfectly clear!

I hope you get your SatNav sorted quickly - I used to use Tom Tom too and, although there are still some features I miss, I have come to appreciate the Columbus. I was very briefly a passenger in an Audi A4 recently - I am not sure what the Sat Nav was - but it was quite different, and I must say the on-screen '3D scenic' view was most impressive - I think I liked it more than the Columbus from a brief look.

If I had the time I would go through it, make corrections, and mail it to them - I have noticed well over a hundred at a guess - I used to proof read articles so these things do tend to leap out and irritate. Plus it is well documented how some of the instructions are, well, less than perfectly clear!

Škoda might know this hence there is a special place on the Škoda World website where they say:

"If you have any questions or recommendations regarding the documentation, please send us a message via e-mail [email protected]. (Please write in Czech or English.)"

From this page: http://www.skoda-auto.com/com/service/documentation/Pages/documentation.aspx

Škoda might know this hence there is a special place on the Škoda World website where they say:

"If you have any questions or recommendations regarding the documentation, please send us a message via e-mail [email protected]. (Please write in Czech or English.)"

From this page: http://www.skoda-aut...umentation.aspx

Thanks Johann. But - to be effective - I think there needs to be a proper comprehensive editing job done - and the above request is really just a scape-goat way to get errors identified without having to pay someone to do a proper job. A bit like the approach that MS uses in releasing early Beta software, gathering in the issues and comments, and avoiding the development costs themselves. Bah humbug. Praps I'm just in a grumpy mood today...:)

Thanks Johann. But - to be effective - I think there needs to be a proper comprehensive editing job done - and the above request is really just a scape-goat way to get errors identified without having to pay someone to do a proper job.

Very true yes. It does not even need a professional person to point some of their glaring errors out. Just email it to an English speaking PA at SUK and even one of them lot can redline that document in an hour flat. Job done. But then to pay for a professional proof reader won't cost the earth either. So really peculiar that they don't do it...

• 4 weeks later...

Update:

Dealer had the car in and diagnosed the Sharks fin and advised that I needed another visit once parts were in.

Whilst the dealer ordered a new shark fin and cabling, I investigated and was able to view with some difficulty the connectors onto the sharkfin at the back of the roof.

I was not prepared to risk roof lining damage but you can see these connectors by removing the plastic surround for the centre diagonal seat belt that is fastened to the roof.

I suggested to the dealer that they may like to view the connectors at the back when I took the car in the second time. They then promptly sorted the fault that morning and phoned me back by mid morning.

Worth knowing, you just need to get access by releasing the centre rear roof lining fixing. I simply could not get it to release without risking the lining, hence loads of wasted time driving back a forwards.http://ww1.briskoda.net/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/emoticon-0120-doh.gif

Why didn't the dealer know that all 3 aerial cables are via connectors at the back of the car as well as at the rear of the Columbus?? They had said they would need 2 days to remove the lining and install the new cable loom.!!