Volunteer Ambulance Personnel

Clunkclick

Received an E-mail today trawling for volunteers from the work force ay my place of work to apply and train for crewing positions in a local Emergency Response Vehicle.

Made me shudder at first response.

Is this a common thing now ?

Why can't they crew with paid staff ? We've got enough money to spend £200m and counting on bombing Libya, enough money to sport a totally over priveleged celebrity culture and £1m bankers bonus, every other car on the road round here is an expensive four-by-four or Mercedes. If we have enough money for these inessentials, surely the money is there to pay for a service which is obviously required - some would say its the hallmark of a civilised society.

Nick

I presume they are asking for Community First Responders?

If so very common in my area, nearly every village and community have them. They are trained to above FAW standards plus AED qualified, but cannot administer med gases or anything else.

One local team have a car but no "blues or twos", and in Rhayader the service is run by the local St John, who are allowed "blues and twos", and have additional advanced training.

Commonly the AED machines are kept in the local pub or shop in the day time, and at home with one of the "on-call" team at night.

They are there to bring down response times which can be very long in these rural areas, and if they save just one life I don't see the problem. It would be financially impossible to provide Ambulance cover to every community in Powys, for example.

EDIT.

And thinking about the title of this thread, isn't that exactly what St John/ St Andrew/ Red Cross personel are?

Edited by Llanigraham

I *think* Carnival Clown on here is a First Responder.

It could be worth sending a PM to Octygone or Carnival Clown himself to ask for more information. (Don't quote me on that - I have probably got it wrong as per normal) :rofl:

I *think* Carnival Clown on here is a First Responder.

It could be worth sending a PM to Octygone or Carnival Clown himself to ask for more information. (Don't quote me on that - I have probably got it wrong as per normal) :rofl:

Yep you are correct Rob, Kevin has always been a "first aider" at work and after a fair amount of training he is now Marlboroughs first first responder, he has an area about 3 miles around house to cover when he has the time to log on, it can make the difference between life or death.

When an Ambulance is called then the call rightly goes out to the crew first but it is rapidly sent out to the first responder as well (if it is a suitable call, they dont send them out to RTAs unless it is an emergency)

When he is on call he carries oxygen a defib and a very large bag of various bandages, masks, etc etc.

Most of the info can be found here

http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=100001774705042&sk=info

Hello everybody :)

Community First Responders are local units made up of volunteers who respond in their own time using predominantly their own vehicles. CFR schemes differ around the country. Most are assosciated with either St John Ambulance or Red Cross who provide the training, and then the relevant Ambulance Service (in my case Great Western Ambulance Service) provides the equipment and supplies. Some CFR schemes operate without the St John or Red Cross link, but still working alongside the Ambulance. These schemes are the ones who tend to have their own vehicle as they may have less red tape to work through. No Responder may use visual/audio warnings, even if they are fitted unless they have had the appropriate training. For example, offduty ambulance crews who volunteer their time may use such equipment as they have been trained.

CFR schemes are vital in rural areas as the nearest ambulance could be a fair way off and CFR's can provide life saving intervention, to preserve life until an ambulance arrives.

Training for Wiltshire consisted of four days in a classroom, learning theory and lots and lots of practicals. We then have to do at least two 12 hour shifts on a Front line ambulance or Rapid Response vehicle. I have to say this was the most eye opening part of my training and luckily (for me at least) I got to work with the local Fire & Rescue crews and the Air Ambulance.

Front line crews are stretched around the country, but CFR's provide a vital resource to help the people in your local community.

I'm going to Castle Coombe on the 9th, and i'll probably bring my kit with me so if anyone has any questions please come and see me. if you would like to know more information send me a PM and i'll help to get you in touch with your local unit.

Thanks for that CC.

One question.

Are the CFR's in your area med gasses trained for either O2 and/or nitrous, or just O2? Around here some don't seem to carry O2.

they have o2 on cumbria, many times I've been called out a long way off to difficulty in breathing for someone with COPD, and been damn glad the first responders have given O2, or I could be dealing with an arrest instead of just managing the condition until hospital!

We have first responders in lincolnshire fire and rescue, trained in trauma care, oxylator and defib. At our station we're out regularly because there's no local ambulance station.

Trained by LIVES and have our own Vauxhall Astra Estate Co-Responder car with blues and twos..

Kev

In Wiltshire a fire station which goes out as a responder are called co-responders. We have a couple of stations and also a couple of areas are covered by the army bases (eg, Tidworth). Had an email this morning saying it had been a busy night and morning, and if anyone was available could they book on. There is an ambulance station two minutes from me, but it normally ends up in Swindon.

• 2 weeks later...

You'll probably find your local major railway station often have O2 and AED's. Some Network Rail station officers and some BTP officers are trained by the ambluance on there use along with the usual first aid training. Good places to go down if you're going!!

I work on one of the busiest railway stations in the South East outside of London as a station announcer.

I am also an Emergency Transport Attendant with St John Ambulance. I am trained in the use of medical gases, defib, pulse oximetry, blood pressures, airway and spinal management and everything else that entails to work on a SJA vehicle.

However despite my knowledge and skiils, my employer has not provided the station with an AED!! However we dont normally have to wait that long for an ambulance unless you count the time when I had a patient in continual seizure for nearly half an hour. :thumbdown:

Mind you the staff love me when something occurs and incidentally, I do more first aid at work than I ever do on duty in a vehicle!! :rofl:

Edited by threadbear

I work on one of the busiest railway stations in the South East outside of London as a station announcer.

I am also an Emergency Transport Attendant with St John Ambulance. I am trained in the use of medical gases, defib, pulse oximetry, blood pressures, airway and spinal management and everything else that entails to work on a SJA vehicle.

However despite my knowledge and skiils, my employer has not provided the station with an AED!! However we dont normally have to wait that long for an ambulance unless you count the time when I had a patient in continual seizure for nearly half an hour. :thumbdown:

Mind you the staff love me when something occurs and incidentally, I do more first aid at work than I ever do on duty in a vehicle!! :rofl:

nice to know there are staff trained to that level, would make it so much easier when we arrive :thumbup:

In South Cheshire we had a big local campaign to keep our First Responders, they have traditionally carried all the kit that the Parameics carried and were allowed to use 'blues & twos' and were a very popular (and useful ) part of the local community. I believe they have been 'saved' but I notice we seem to also have an NHS first responder - in a Skoda Octavia Estate - hanging around the town a lot.

However as a back up the guy who was most prominent volunteer now also has another business - he's the local undertaker!!! (just in case ??)

In South Cheshire we had a big local campaign to keep our First Responders, they have traditionally carried all the kit that the Parameics carried

No, they did not!

Lets keep it real folks.

First responders are great, very decent of folk to give of their time so freely, they can & do make a difference from time to time.

The fundamental issue particularly in rural area's is that because the attendance of a responder counts for ORCON ( <8 min Gov't target) this free's up the Ambulance to be dragged into the nearest metropolis, thus leaving the rural are deprived of cover. This, in some cases negates the principal of a responder, as there's no back up readily available to convey the patient to a place of definive care, usually A&E.

This is in no way the fault of the good folk who volunteer, more a sad reflection of the NHS chasing more targets.

No, they did not!

Lets keep it real folks..

Paramaniac I notice you are in Suffolk - some 150 miles from South Cheshire - whilst I accept that your 'name' indicates that you have some link with the ambulance service, I have to disagree with you.

The situation in Nantwich was that the local first responder had a much higher level of equipment (and the expertees to go with it) than was normal in first responders. In their 'wisdom' the NWAS decided that he needed downgrading and certain facilities were withdrawn, including the ability to use his blue light (in spite of the fact that he also drove the local fire engine (I understand) after petitions, marches and the intervention of the local MP some of these facilities has been reinstated, including the 'blue light' though to quote the local MP " it's not the end of the road yet" we do also now have an NHS reponder based in the town (In his Skoda) but the locals have long memories and the excellent work done by the volunteer has not been forgotten, and many would like to see his full 'facilities' restored.

The local service is nothing to do with meeting targets, the nearest 'metropolis' (Crewe) has it's own fully manned ambulance station, this is about providing a fast responce service to rural communities, without the delay of getting a fully manned paramedic ambulance the extra 6 or 7 miles into Nantwich and beyond into the rural areas.

When we have seen the first responders 'in action' the are usually followed (5 or so minutes later) by a paramedic amulance, so patient transport is always to hand, just the patient gets an edge just when it's needed.

We now have some more local first responder units in other villages, so the idea is spreading, and these are the same people who are local volunteer firefighters.(They are now called 'co-responders!)

I fully support what they do, and I take my hat off to the people who provide such a service, I have never been in a position to be able be involved because of work commitments (& now I am too old) but given half a chance a few years ago I would have been there.

P.S. Have just found a copy of the local TC notes on the subject here:

www.cheshire.gov.uk/.../7458-2%20-%20app4%20Nantwich%20TC.doc

have a look and you will see what I mean

P.S. The original 'lighthearted' point I was trying to make was that our local 'First Responder' was also doubling up as an Undertaker....but....

Thats a dead link you posted.

Unless the respopnders are state registered paramedics accredited by the health professions council they DO NOT carry the same kit as paramedics FACT!

This is a national standard, enforcable by law, special exemptions are not available in Nantwich!

A bit of extra vocational (at best) training does not replace a paramedic qualification, formerly IHCD, now a Bsc in paramedic science.

as for Crewe having a fully manned station, you missed the point, every urban area has a manned station, the crews are out pretty much constantly. There are very often outstanding calls, thus the rural trucks are pulled in to respond to them, depriving the rural area of cover. That's where the responder comes in.

Your anecdotal evidence of having seen the responders in action, & having noted them being backed up within 5 minutes is by no means representative of the majority of calls. Particularly since the response targets have now changed. It used to be the case that for a first responders attendance to count towards our targets, there must be an ambulance on scene within 19 minutes of the call, this caveat has now been completely removed. as such, we are now regularly seeing solo's waiting for extended periods before being backed up.

As far as my name having some link with the ambulance service goes, I am a state registered paramedic, 16 years service & counting.

I endorse the principle of responders, just trying to clear up your incorrect statement.

Please dont take this the wrong way, but I do this for a living & am closely involved in the politics of lay responding, having access to significant data on a national level, which, to be fair, is more credible than anecdotal evidence submitted by one individual who by their own admission is not personally involved in the topic being discussed.

Unfortunately it is the case that Responders are an effort to reduce response rates. Our main role is to provide immediate care but those of you in the know will realise there are other agendas. I agree with paramaniac, responders do not carry a full paramedics kit. We do have a few staff responders, off duty paramedics, who carry a larger kit and are blue light drivers.

I've just come back off a first aid at work and Btec Lv2 Basic & Intermediate ICHD First Person On Scene course. As much as it's a great course there's a lot of cramming and the sessions were only 25 mins on each subject...

I'll be signing up as co-responder for our station this week, we usually ride with a crew of 2 or 3 though, not just one person turning up on your doorstep.

Kev