VRS purchase

Hi folks,

Im a long time lurker now looking to purchase a used Octy VRS with a budget of around 9 grand (depending on how much i can get for my Ford Kuga !!!!).

These two at local dealers have caught my eye :

http://autotrader.mobi/used-cars/advert/201109381204952/viewing-17?PHPSESSID=rpfud43gusfpitkfhlgsp2f1p6

and

http://autotrader.mobi/used-cars/advert/201108380348104/viewing-4?PHPSESSID=rpfud43gusfpitkfhlgsp2f1p6

i know one is petrol and the other diesel but would welcome opinions on price/spec etc ....

For your budget you should be looking at vRS' that had the free accessories pack.

So you are looking for:

18" Zenith Alloys

Climatronic AC (rather than climatic)

Jumbo Storagebox

Rear Electric Windows

Make sure your car has these features - so looking at 07 plate onwards.

I'd advise driving a local petrol and diesel model, and then narrowing down the search to the one you prefer.

But the advice about the spec and extra toys is a good one. At 9k I'd certainly expect the car to come with those.

look on the cars for sale thread.

samuir1974 is selling his vrs.

a bit more than you wanted to pay but worth the extra.

dont think you will find a better one for the money

Considering both those cars look the same spec the diesel would see the better deal since they are the same price/mileage but the diesel is a newer car and normally sell for more than petrol. The argument between petrol or diesel will all depend on what you like to drive. Both cars are good ones and will have their plus and minus points. The diesel will be cheaper to run in terms of fuel but if you are going to mainly drive in town and small trips then the DPF may be an issue. My commute to work is 10 miles each way and I never had a DPF issue with my 56 plate diesel VRS so no need to do stellar mileage but lots of 1 or 2 mile trips would not be a good idea. The PD engine is not the smoothest of drives as it has a massive lump of power around 1800rpm. This can make it a lot of fun to drive though. It is also not the most frugal of diesels although you should get around 45mpg mixed driving and just over 50mpg on a long run.

The diesels usually cost more to buy but they are cheaper to fuel, I do prefer how the petrol TFSi engine drives though.

As mentioned above check for 18" Alloys, dual zone climate, electric rear windows, and front armrest.

Look at the interior shot of this one - vRS WITH the upgrade pack

Considering both those cars look the same spec the diesel would see the better deal since they are the same price/mileage but the diesel is a newer car and normally sell for more than petrol. The argument between petrol or diesel will all depend on what you like to drive. Both cars are good ones and will have their plus and minus points. The diesel will be cheaper to run in terms of fuel but if you are going to mainly drive in town and small trips then the DPF may be an issue. My commute to work is 10 miles each way and I never had a DPF issue with my 56 plate diesel VRS so no need to do stellar mileage but lots of 1 or 2 mile trips would not be a good idea. The PD engine is not the smoothest of drives as it has a massive lump of power around 1800rpm. This can make it a lot of fun to drive though. It is also not the most frugal of diesels although you should get around 45mpg mixed driving and just over 50mpg on a long run.

My missus had an Audi A3 with the same engine so i know what they are like, need to try a petrol model.

How many miles do you petrol guys get out of a tankfull ????

I get around 380 miles to a tank on my 58 plate octy vrs petrol.This does go up & down depending on the journeys i do but 380 is normal for me.

How big is the tank?

Thats better than my diesel Kuga (getting about 340 to a tank,computer shows im getting 31 to the gallon). My old Focus ST would only get 18mpg !!!!

My vRS TSI averages 30 with at least 60% town driving. If you are used to 31mpg with your Kuga, you should try a TSI or TFSI - the petrol is fantastic to drive!

Test drive one!

TBH that petrol one seems like a lot of money considering mileage and age. Have you looked on the Skoda website at the used cars? When I bought mine many on there where cheaper than private and trade. Glass' prices and the prices they are selling for in the classified on this site are much lower than the ones you have linked. For that money I woudl be looking at 3 years old or newer personally. The facelift will also have reduced the prices of non FL slightly.

just my $0.02

How big is the tank?Thats better than my diesel Kuga (getting about 340 to a tank,computer shows im getting 31 to the gallon). My old Focus ST would only get 18mpg !!!!

Octy2 tank is 55L/12.1 UK gallons.

I used to get 320-360 out of my old TFSI, so 28-30mpg mixed over the tank.

Against a typical 550 from my mapped PD140. So around 45mpg. If I'm taking longer runs, I'll tip over the 600 mark before fully emptying the tank....

Looking at valuations for my Kuga my pockets arn't so deep....

So now my budget is reduced what is the better purchase for 6.5k ,A lower mileage Mk 1 with cash to spare for mods or a higher mileage Mk2 ???????

Octy2 tank is 55L/12.1 UK gallons.

I used to get 320-360 out of my old TFSI, so 28-30mpg mixed over the tank.

Against a typical 550 from my mapped PD140. So around 45mpg. If I'm taking longer runs, I'll tip over the 600 mark before fully emptying the tank....

FYI I get around 530-550 ish in my vRS CR DSG Estate

Edited by Lou_O

Looking at valuations for my Kuga my pockets arn't so deep....

So now my budget is reduced what is the better purchase for 6.5k ,A lower mileage Mk 1 with cash to spare for mods or a higher mileage Mk2 ???????

Having had a mk1 octy vrs before i replaced it with my mk2 i would have a higher mileage mk 2 over a low mileage mk 1,as good as the mk1 is,in my opinion the mk2 is way better. :)

Right specification and well priced.

82k miles on the clock - only you can decide if that is too high for you.

It will have had a new cambelt & waterpump at around the 60k mark (as per his description).

If you can wait until end of may and travel to cumbria you can have my 07 race blue tfsi for £9600 its got jumbo box and only done 24000 from new full service history etc :rofl: