Sat Nav App for iPhone

mannyo

I need to get a satnav app for my iPhone 4 for when I am not driving my superb with columbus.

Looking for recommendations, I see tomtom available, but has anyone used it and whats it like. I'll need one with western europe coverage and one that does not require a data connection to pull down map data (google earth/maps for example) so as to avoid roaming data charges.

Had a look at navfree, shame there is no european version of the countries I am interested in (France, Spain, Portugal).

Never been a fan of copilot live, had it on my windows phone and it was very buggy and it also needs a data connection which is no go for europe.

Might give tomtom a go, shame I never bought it a few weeks ago when it was a lot cheaper.

I've been using TomTom on my 3GS for over a year and it works pretty well. It does seem to stretch the phone though. An iPhone4 will probably be fine, but if I have TomTom and CameAlert open together it can sometimes drop GPS for a few seconds every minute or so. If I manually close all other apps and free up some memory it's usually ok though.

Never tried anything else on the iPhone to compare it with however?

TomTom uses data for the (paid-for) traffic updates, google location search and their new user-submitted map updates. But I'm pretty sure nothing is downloaded without you asking or confirming it first. All the map data is on internal storage.

down loaded navfree last night to itunes (dont get my Iphone 4 until saturday) seems to have good reviews i was looking at orange maps but its go very poor reviews so think i will leave that as it was one option with my contract

Thanks to this thread, I downloaded Navfree on my iphone4 last night...

Very impressed indeed, and best of all it doesn't cost a penny :thumbup:

Thanks guys

Damo

+1 for TOMTOM

have been using it on my iPhone 4 for nearly a year. Speedy as anything, you can add custom POI's and custom car images. you only update when connected to iTunes unless you have traffic and camera's like me.

The other great part of it is that you can google search for anything, meaning that you don't really need custom POI's This has data charges attached though.

The TOMTOM car kit is also great, nice and loud, enhances the GPS signal and can act as handsfree if needed. Mine is hard wired into the fusebox via a switched live so is nice and tidy too.

Well I bit the bullet and downloaded Tomtom. Really pressed with it. I installed the western Europe version, the only thing annoying me is the lack of 7 digit postcode support.

Well I bit the bullet and downloaded Tomtom. Really pressed with it. I installed the western Europe version, the only thing annoying me is the lack of 7 digit postcode support.

Is that a European thing? The UK one does full postcodes?

postcode.png

discovered I was looking in the wrong place, I was putting the postcode in the address entry and not postcode , doh. works fine when the correct entry selected.

Thanks for the headsup,downloaded Navfree to use on holiday this week. Glad I did as it works faultlessly, unlike Orange maps which is useless up here as it needs 3G to update map. I updated with the safety camera add on and this to has been 100%.

• 1 month later...

+1 for TOMTOM

have been using it on my iPhone 4 for nearly a year. Speedy as anything, you can add custom POI's and custom car images. you only update when connected to iTunes unless you have traffic and camera's like me.

The other great part of it is that you can google search for anything, meaning that you don't really need custom POI's This has data charges attached though.

The TOMTOM car kit is also great, nice and loud, enhances the GPS signal and can act as handsfree if needed. Mine is hard wired into the fusebox via a switched live so is nice and tidy too.

Hi, did you do the hardwiring yourself? I'm really interested in doing this in my new Octavia as well, to tidy things up a bit. Have you got a pic of your setup? Thanks in advance :)

Hi, did you do the hardwiring yourself? I'm really interested in doing this in my new Octavia as well, to tidy things up a bit. Have you got a pic of your setup? Thanks in advance :)

It's pretty easy, here's my sat nav install... which is now a phone holder where the sat nav unit lived, but you should get an idea of how it was done

Click Here :-)

It's pretty easy, here's my sat nav install... which is now a phone holder where the sat nav unit lived, but you should get an idea of how it was done

Click Here :-)

That's exactly what I'm looking for, thanks! Where did you lead the cable into the dash? It's kind of hard to see from the pics. Is it at the steering wheel?

That's exactly what I'm looking for, thanks! Where did you lead the cable into the dash? It's kind of hard to see from the pics. Is it at the steering wheel?

I've changed it slightly since those pictures were taken and the lead now comes out at the top of the dash next to the centre vents. Could post a picture later is you want to see the phone mount instead of the Sat Nav mount...

I've changed it slightly since those pictures were taken and the lead now comes out at the top of the dash next to the centre vents. Could post a picture later is you want to see the phone mount instead of the Sat Nav mount...

Would be excellent, much appreciated if you would bother taking a pic or two :thumbup: