Battery

Hi all. Not posted for a while, all was going well with the octy. Well i say was.

Sunday when i tried to start the car it struggled to go, i just thought i may have left the radio or a light on.

Came to use the car today and pressed the button on the key fob and it only opened the boot. Finally opened the driver’s door, tried to start and nothing.

I had to jump start the car from the Mrs. trusted rover 25.

Then i tested the voltage on the battery and got 14.4v so i guess the alternator is sending the charge to the battery.

I then drove 20miles to the parents house turned the engine off then checked the amps 0.02A so i guess there is no electrical leakage. Then tried to start car again, and nothing.

Kind of thinking this is the battery at fault. Would a battery fail this quickly?

Please help :doh:

Not bad at all. Mine is on the original battery I presume (52 plate), but has only done 48k. I don't think it will make it through next winter though!

Thanks for all your replies.

I would say it is the original battery, i had the car just before it was 3 years old.

Car is only really used of a weekend now, dont know if that would have an effect on the life of the battery.and its always kept outside.

I suppose this winter has taken its toll on many cars.

My battery failed totally and instantly. I started the car, drove from my mother's house to home - about an hour. Parked the car, turned off and then decided I wanted to get it a bit closer to the kerb. Tried a restart and it was dead as a dodo. Jumped on a tube to Halfords, bought a new battery fitted it and all was well again. That was 7 years ago and my Halfords battery is still going strong.

Car is only really used of a weekend now, dont know if that would have an effect on the life of the battery.and its always kept outside.

That would be the killer for the battery - being left for long periods without use in the freezing cold.

If you can afford for it to fail again next weekend then I would remove the battery, check the battery acid is covering the 'plates' (if not top it up with de-ionized water) and then put it on a long slow trickle charge overnight, this may be enough to make it last a bit longer, but expect to replace it in the next year or so (probably next winter)