Pre cat removed

I am running a Stage 1 Shark with a K&N panel air filter. I also have the 'D' rev DV valve and the PCV valve refitted as I will be fitting a BSH catch can soon.

I am not sure which pipe or where the boost leak was coming from to be fair. All I know is that I changed all the boost hoses to Samco and the fault code and leak went away thankfully.

We had similar air temps last week and I was only getting 29mpg on the run home. I made sure that I did not alter (raise or lower) any tyre pressure etc, which I now set at factory spec of 29psi front and 31psi rear, so I could give it a fair comparison before / after and I am always hitting higher mpg figures.:)

I dont think I will be going stage 2 now as I bet there won't be that much 'on road' performance difference, certainly not £600 worth anyway!

You would be surprised at the midrange difference, the boost can be turned up significantly in the midrange which is where most of my every day driving occurs. Have we talked about this before lol?

Give it time and the modding bug will get you good and proper, there is no escape!

Once I have cleared my loan next march. I have plans of going straight to stage 3 with a K04 turbo :thumbup: So am going to make do with stage 1.5 at the moment. This bug is catching lol

Once I have cleared my loan next march. I have plans of going straight to stage 3 with a K04 turbo :thumbup: So am going to make do with stage 1.5 at the moment. This bug is catching lol

Blimey, you've had achange of heart!!! :o

From 'I don't think I will go to stage 2 now' (260 bhp) to a K04 conversion running stage 3 (360 bhp).............. :giggle:

Just for the record, I have been in a stage 2 car then into mine immediately after and the difference is very noticable, and mine is quick. B)

I have a full set of VR Engineering mounts:

As soon as they are fitted I will post my findings, however vRS Carl originally had them fitted on the bullet and my observations were almost no engine movement under acceleration so more throttle response, and for some reason the engine sounded like a V6?? :)

I'd be very interested to hear how you get on with these.

What sort of $ are you looking at for these?

I'd be very interested to hear how you get on with these.

What sort of $ are you looking at for these?

New from JKM, £157.34 + VAT...................each!!! :o

I got them second hand for silly money though, if I hadn't I would have gone for the THS Performance FR3 Engine mount set, the rubber is 30% stiffer than OE, but the way they are engineered gives 50% less engine rock. These can be had for just over 250 quid, but I have seen them on group buys over on the MK5 Gti forum for under 200. :thumbup:

So k04, injectors, HPFP, downpipe, Intercooler and remap?

Sweet!

I dont think the money spent on stage 2 is worth it. Id rather wait and get everything the once, as I believe the K03 to K04 would require a different downpipe etc so it just seemed a waste of money to buy a sports dp to have to buy another sports dp. I have looked at some kits from places like Backdraft Motorsport. They do the whole lot for under £5000 but id want a Shark map on it and not revo. Only minor detail is that swmbo does not know of my plans :giggle:

I dont think the money spent on stage 2 is worth it. Id rather wait and get everything the once, as I believe the K03 to K04 would require a different downpipe etc so it just seemed a waste of money to buy a sports dp to have to buy another sports dp. I have looked at some kits from places like Backdraft Motorsport. They do the whole lot for under £5000 but id want a Shark map on it and not revo. Only minor detail is that swmbo does not know of my plans :giggle:

I'm not 100% sure on this but I think you will find the DP is the same between k03 and K04. It certainly is between the MKV gti and ED30. :thumbup:

The engine undertay does need to be removed. Removing the downpipe was very easy and I didnt have to remove any of the o2 sensors. It is made easier if you have a 16mm deep socket to take the upper two nuts off the downpipe to the turbocharger. The bottom two are easier if you have a ratcheting 16mm spanner. If not then a normal 16 mm spanner will do but takes a bit longer. The centre section join was a bit rusty but i soaked the nuts with 'loose'n it' and they came straight off. Initially I used a drill to place holes into the pre cat and then used a thin chisel to hammer it out. It does make a lot of mess and dust so be prepared for it. I then used some wire wool and a chisel to remove the material that secured the cat in the downpipe. Overall the job was easier than I thought it was going to be.

Did this tonight. Was pretty easy once I had all the right tools putting it all back was a doddle compared to taking it all a patt. So far I haven't noticed anything apart from a very slight change in sound but will leave it intill weekend once it settles back in.

???

The car has been fine and really goes now the map has adjusted to it. I love the sound of hearing the turbo spool up :) Though the turbo is not as loud as my FRS was, that sounded like a banshee when on full chat :thumbup:

The car has been fine and really goes now the map has adjusted to it. I love the sound of hearing the turbo spool up :) Though the turbo is not as loud as my FRS was, that sounded like a banshee when on full chat :thumbup:

Thats the noise SWMBO will make when she finds out about the engine mounts! :giggle:

• Like 2

Thats the noise SWMBO will make when she finds out about the engine mounts! :giggle:

He he he he :giggle: Plead ingnorance and say 'Doesnt sound different to me!'

One thing I noticed is my drivers side Intercooler pipe seemed to be leaking small amounts of oil on the engine cover. Is this normal as it looks like it's held on by a clip?

That is quite normal and the reason why im fitting a catch can, to stop the oil recirculating in the boost hoses :thumbup:

One thing I noticed is my drivers side Intercooler pipe seemed to be leaking small amounts of oil on the engine cover. Is this normal as it looks like it's held on by a clip?

Mine weeped a little so I replaced both o rings and gained a tad more boost.