Scout - Vibration

Any other scout owners had a vibration issue on their car ? I'm getting one at around 2000 - 2500 rpm on acceleration and de-acceleration. Not apparent if the throttle is held constant. In addition, it feels more obvious in the higher gears but this is probably because of the time taken to travel through the rpm range. The "buzz" can be felt through the seat and heard in the cabin but difficult to tie down externally. To be honest it almost feels like the centre box on the exhaust could have gone but there's no rattles or anything else .....

Any other scout owners had a vibration issue on their car ? I'm getting one at around 2000 - 2500 rpm on acceleration and de-acceleration. Not apparent if the throttle is held constant. In addition, it feels more obvious in the higher gears but this is probably because of the time taken to travel through the rpm range. The "buzz" can be felt through the seat and heard in the cabin but difficult to tie down externally. To be honest it almost feels like the centre box on the exhaust could have gone but there's no rattles or anything else .....

How old is the car, what sort of mileage & how many miles before it started.

If under warranty back to the dealer

Obvious thing for you to check is if the exhaust is touching anything it shouldnt, is it loose. TAKE care when fiddling with the exhaust as the end of the tail pipes on some scouts are razor sharp

How old is the car, what sort of mileage & how many miles before it started.

If under warranty back to the dealer

Obvious thing for you to check is if the exhaust is touching anything it shouldnt, is it loose. TAKE care when fiddling with the exhaust as the end of the tail pipes on some scouts are razor sharp

It's an 07 with 35k on the clock so out of warranty. Only noticed it slightly a few weeks back when on some dual carriageway, then on Sunday it just seemed louder and felt more "buzzy". Wierdly I've just been out and started it from cold and can't hear a thing so it only seems to be when all has warmed up.

It's an 07 with 35k on the clock so out of warranty. Only noticed it slightly a few weeks back when on some dual carriageway, then on Sunday it just seemed louder and felt more "buzzy". Wierdly I've just been out and started it from cold and can't hear a thing so it only seems to be when all has warmed up.

Take a look at the front CV joint gaiter on the propshaft. If its split it will be throwing CV joint grease out of the joint and when it gets hot it will sound and feel rough. At least thats what happened to my Volvo AWD.

Take a look at the front CV joint gaiter on the propshaft. If its split it will be throwing CV joint grease out of the joint and when it gets hot it will sound and feel rough. At least thats what happened to my Volvo AWD.

Will get them to check it out on the next service which is just a few hundred miles away. Am beginning to think it's exhaust related though as the note as got slightly deeper....

• 2 weeks later...

Turned out to be the front mounting bracket. One bolt had gone, the other was just hanging on in there. Both bolts replaced with new ones by my mechanic mate, as the inserts had gone too, and problem seems to have mostly gone away. Exhaust note has changed though so am wondering if some damage has been caused by it moving around.

Turned out to be the front mounting bracket. One bolt had gone, the other was just hanging on in there. Both bolts replaced with new ones by my mechanic mate, as the inserts had gone too, and problem seems to have mostly gone away. Exhaust note has changed though so am wondering if some damage has been caused by it moving around.

Glad its not the DMF. Sounds like you need to just double check the zorst isnt touching anything, mis aligned or blowing slightly, if not then drive it for a bit a see what developes

Will get it checked again on the service just to make sure all the pipework is it clear, car just seems a little more "boomy" at that rev range so I'm suspecting the exhaust is going slowly but surely.

You say the inserts on the bolts had gone, I dont know quite what the detail is but were these replaced like for like etc, Im just wondering if the inserts you describe are part of an anti vibration mount, also do the bolts have to be fully tightened or lightly tightened with a locknut. As I said no idea of the detail, just off the cuff thoughts. On my car the exhaust became a bit "boomy" at lower revs but that I can trace to a modification to the downpipe :giggle:

On our last diesel Octy which was a 52 plate it still has the original exhaust at 175000 miles so I would be suprised if yours is going, the originals are quite well made, the only thing we had was a broken mid mound that was welded back on

Edited by Stuart_J

You say the inserts on the bolts had gone, I dont know quite what the detail is but were these replaced like for like etc, Im just wondering if the inserts you describe are part of an anti vibration mount, also do the bolts have to be fully tightened or lightly tightened with a locknut. As I said no idea of the detail, just off the cuff thoughts. On my car the exhaust became a bit "boomy" at lower revs but that I can trace to a modification to the downpipe :giggle:

On our last diesel Octy which was a 52 plate it still has the original exhaust at 175000 miles so I would be suprised if yours is going, the originals are quite well made, the only thing we had was a broken mid mound that was welded back on

I don't believe he put new inserts in as one bolt had vanished completely and the other almost seemed to fall out. Two new ones he supplied went into the mounting bracket holes with no probs. He was going to loctite them but was concerned about getting them off again if needed so he just tightened them up with some spring washers to help. No lock nuts as the bolts go directly into the block underneath.

So what mod did you carry out on your downpipe me wonders ?

I don't believe he put new inserts in as one bolt had vanished completely and the other almost seemed to fall out. Two new ones he supplied went into the mounting bracket holes with no probs. He was going to loctite them but was concerned about getting them off again if needed so he just tightened them up with some spring washers to help. No lock nuts as the bolts go directly into the block underneath.

So what mod did you carry out on your downpipe me wonders ?

Soumnds like just a vibration issue of some type possibly related to that mounting

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Andyjl1968,

My Scout TDI (2008) has the same issue between 2200-2500 rpm. Can you please explain what bracket had gone loose? I really want to fix this, because it is so annoying.....

Thnx

Edited by GuustFlater

Hi Andyjl1968,

My Scout TDI (2008) has the same issue between 2200-2500 rpm. Can you please explain what bracket had gone loose? I really want to fix this, because it is so annoying.....

Thnx

This is an interesting thread..... I've had a vibration from my PD140 since I got it and never gave a thought to

the exhaust mountings.

Mines done it off and on for 60K now, had a track down because its not consistent, but I wouldn't have thought the

DMF would have lasted 60K on its way out......

I'd also have thought a loose mounting bracket would have been caught during routine servicing, unless the bracket has gone..... hmmmm

Imentioned a strange vibration / noise as I drive up thru the rev range mine is bang on 1500 rpm and ismore pronounced in higher gears , one reader said it was airbox related I have had a look and although it looks flimsier than my golf I can't see any thing " hanging off" I'm pretty sure it's a harmonics thing where it reaches a critical speed and the airbox resonates in harmony giving me the sound

This is an interesting thread..... I've had a vibration from my PD140 since I got it and never gave a thought to

the exhaust mountings.

Mines done it off and on for 60K now, had a track down because its not consistent, but I wouldn't have thought the

DMF would have lasted 60K on its way out......

I'd also have thought a loose mounting bracket would have been caught during routine servicing, unless the bracket has gone..... hmmmm

This is very interesting,I have been aware of this problem,done45k miles, blamed road surfaces at first,but only recently realised it was definately from engine or transmission.If I accelerate briskly it is barely noticeable,but on an incline it is very pronounced,especially with engine hot.

• 1 month later...