Fabia Diesel Won't Start

Hi all,

My sisters Faba 1.9SDI won't start after she noticed a yellow warning light on the dash apparently the engine turns over but won't fire up. Since I know little about these cars any help or advice would be welcome.

Additionally she cannot remember what or where the light was on the dash!!!!

Many Thanks

Edited by riber3

Just been to look at the car and found the following,

There is what look likes a number eight on its side that flashes when you turn the ignition on and there is a buzzing noise coming from a electrical socket just above the air intake pipe beside the inlet manifold.

The car is an 03 1.9SDI not a TDI so any help would be most welcome

Just been to look at the car and found the following,

There is what look likes a number eight on its side that flashes when you turn the ignition on and there is a buzzing noise coming from a electrical socket just above the air intake pipe beside the inlet manifold.

The car is an 03 1.9SDI not a TDI so any help would be most welcome

Glowplugs I should think. Will it not start even if you keep cranking it. Why it is flashing I don't know, if working properly it should come on, when the engine is cold, then go out when the plug has warmed up the cylinder, you then start the car. If the glowplugs fail the car should still start but you have to continually crank it until it gets up enough heat to fire.

Even with continual cranking car will not start unless I spray you know what down the air intake pipe and then it will briefly fire.

As a petrol head I know nothing about glow plugs how to remove them let alone check them. As for the light it does gout briefly after the ignition is turned on but if left on thats when then buzzing noise starts. If unplug that sensor it stops. Is this related to the glow plugs???

Really sorry guys I am a diesel dummy so any help would be appreciated

• 6 months later...

I "think" its something to do with a pressure sensor on the fuel line. Id get the car scanned for codes first. Does the car have a DPF in it? Im not sure on the sdi if it does or doesnt? It could also be down to that if its not regenerating properly.

I "think" its something to do with a pressure sensor on the fuel line. Id get the car scanned for codes first. Does the car have a DPF in it? Im not sure on the sdi if it does or doesnt? It could also be down to that if its not regenerating properly.

Ok the problem was 109 relay and the thiky thing it still came once in a while after disconecting the battery but after the first time you start the car wanish.

and mine is a tdi, but the injection pump is the same, if you switch them you will see no difference in running...

• 11 months later...

Brake light switch did that to mine, if its faulty it sends a fuel cut off signal to the ecu, 8 quid from eurocarparts and 10 minutes to fit. Now starts perfectly first time. I had exactly the same problem on march with my fabia and I litetally replaced everything, temp sensor, glow plugs, maf.

I wish you luck though.