Dithering over VRS...

Hi,

Took a couple out for a test drive. Very competent, engine had a decent amount of shove, no hesitation on DSG when pulling away (unlike my brother's Leon FR) and seemed neutral / very sure footed in the corners. BUT...

A little too clinical? I didn't seem THAT involved in the drive... Is it just me?

It's probably been mentioned before, but the interior door handles seem SOOOOOO flimsy, I'm no man mountain but thought they were going to snap off. Seems harsh to criticise on such a small point though!

Prices - VAT is at 20% right? I think they've got the numbers wrong in the brochure. What should the price be (basic, without any options but with delivery charges / road tax)?

Colours - Do like the look of the Monte Carlo colour scheme. I'm torn between the Red and Silver / Black Roof / Dark Chrome / Black pack with Red interior.

Should be around £13.5K for the hatchback (no options) and about £14.1K for the estate.

I'm having an Estate in Green with Cruise for £14,800.

Brochure includes VAT and Delivery iirc but not PDI and road tax? Can't remember now, may be OTR.

I found the vRS great to drive, all depends if you knew how to drive a semi-auto before you got in it? I also hate the word 'clinical' when dithering over a car... a friend uses it too often and it does my nut in :D

Keep it in 'S' if you want an involving drive and use the paddles, 'D' is for pootling imo.

Hi,

Took a couple out for a test drive. Very competent, engine had a decent amount of shove, no hesitation on DSG when pulling away (unlike my brother's Leon FR) and seemed neutral / very sure footed in the corners. BUT...

A little too clinical? I didn't seem THAT involved in the drive... Is it just me?

It's probably been mentioned before, but the interior door handles seem SOOOOOO flimsy, I'm no man mountain but thought they were going to snap off. Seems harsh to criticise on such a small point though!

Prices - VAT is at 20% right? I think they've got the numbers wrong in the brochure. What should the price be (basic, without any options but with delivery charges / road tax)?

Colours - Do like the look of the Monte Carlo colour scheme. I'm torn between the Red and Silver / Black Roof / Dark Chrome / Black pack with Red interior.

If you ordered the car with no cost options or GAP insurance and took standard wheels and solid paint the OTR would be: £13685. Thats the Vat free base price, delivery, 1st reg and VEL costs.

Agree about the door handles - I thought WTF when i grabbed one. Is a worry.

If you've taken a couple out for a test drive and you're umming and ahhring I'd save your money and not bother. When it comes to parting with this amount of money - I say if there's doubt there's no doubt (i.e. don't get it because after 1x 5 minute drive I wanted the car without reservation).

As for colour.... well, I ordered green and don't like the red so can't reassure you there! :D

An automatic box reduces involvement.

Exactly! I hate them! These are the worst example of cheap plastics in the interior. For me, it is a major factor against trading in my Mk1 for a Mk2.

£12,975 basic + £2,595 VAT (only on the basic price) + £690 delivery = £16,260.00. Then remove the VAT as a discount to give £13,665.

I really wish the VRS would be available in the standard colours as well. It seems sport versions of any car come with a limited selection of colours - usually louder than the standard selection.

If you've taken a couple out for a test drive and you're umming and ahhring I'd save your money and not bother. When it comes to parting with this amount of money - I say if there's doubt there's no doubt (i.e. don't get it because after 1x 5 minute drive I wanted the car without reservation).

Absolutely. I had no issues with driver involvement after my test drive, just massive smiles. Coming from an ex-Caterham owner.

I've never really understood what 'clinical' means, but i sure know a lot of lazy journalists use it.

If your dithering then I agree with the others, dont buy, you should look else where.

If you take into account the VAT free price and what the car can do for the money its a no brainer, but its not for everyone.

There are a couple of cost cutting measures but they dont overshadow the car for me in anyway, but if things like that annoy you then its not for you.

Good luck, let us know what you decide. :D

Surely you could replace the bits that you feel cheapen the car, and still have change left over (and I'm talking thousands)

For reference. At this moment, including the VAT free offer: -

Fabia vRS = ~ £13.5K

Polo GTI = ~ £20.3K

Audi A1 = ~ £23.4K

............... no brainer.

I'll be honest it may be a bit clinical, probably not helped by the fantastic but could be argued "uninvolving" DSG gearbox but i'd have one of these over any of its competitors any day of the week.

It's fast, clean, (reasonably) economical, well built, practical (particularly the estate) and most importantly at the moment its very VERY cheap. Sure a Clio 200 is probably slightly faster and more fun to drive balls-out but they are pig ugly and feel like they are made from egg-boxes. 3 years hard use and I'm sure other than the fine engine it will be fit for the scrapheap. By comparison a vRS feels like its made from granite and could last an eternity with love and care. I also think the combination of 5 doors and DSG make it extremely easy to live with day to day too; something that cannot be said about most of its rivals.

It's the perfect compromise for someone wanting a fun fast hatch that can deal with the manotiny of day to day life too.

For reference. At this moment, including the VAT free offer: -

Fabia vRS = ~ £13.5K

Polo GTI = ~ £20.3K

Audi A1 = ~ £23.4K

............... no brainer.

Keep current car (if you like it and it's still running well) = £0K

............... just-a-little-bit-of-brainer

Well yeah, but that's boring.

I hate my current car and wish I had never bought the bloody thing.

I would have happily held out for a non vRS Octavia Mk2. Suppose I still could have, but meh.

Hmmm, my car currently is a KA. It's fun to chuck about with relative abandon, it's an 08 plate (so new-ish) and has air and and Aux in (which is nice!) - but it hasn't got any guts, no push, no zip. The VRS has all of this and more, but I don't know if I can justify the (admittedly excellent!) price. 11K or so isn't to be sniffed at! :)

I probably shouldn't buy yet another car, but then it's a car - you spend a lot of time in it - and personally I think you should never scrimp.

I made do the last time I bought a Ibiza TDI - in fact I loved it, but I was 23 and lot more immature than I am now!

Ref the door handles in the Mk2 Fabia - That worried me around the whole range, now the Octy has more solid ones, could these be purchased & transplanted onto the fabia ?

I prefer to think of 'dithering' as closely evaluating the positives and negatives of the potential purchase :p......something which I did for 3 weeks.

Look ahead and ask yourself the obvious questions regarding finance, practicality etc. Deliberate everything and write it down if you have to.

Regarding the drive, yes, it can be uninvolved. Leaves you more time to think/change the radio/talk with the passenger etc :)

Makes overtaking very simple though as you never take your hands off the wheel (i.e safety) :thumbup:

Door handles have shown no sign of wear and tear for me after close to 11k if that helps. I do have a 'light touch for a big man' though :S

I prefer to think of 'dithering' as closely evaluating the positives and negatives of the potential purchase :p......something which I did for 3 weeks.

Look ahead and ask yourself the obvious questions regarding finance, practicality etc. Deliberate everything and write it down if you have to.

Regarding the drive, yes, it can be uninvolved. Leaves you more time to think/change the radio/talk with the passenger etc :)

Makes overtaking very simple though as you never take your hands off the wheel (i.e safety) :thumbup:

Door handles have shown no sign of wear and tear for me after close to 11k if that helps. I do have a 'light touch for a big man' though :S

11k... how much was your first service?

I prefer to think of 'dithering' as closely evaluating the positives and negatives of the potential purchase

I think of it as being tossed about helplessly while desire for a new car slugs it out with desire to hold on to your money.