Another 'Air Con' thread!

AdamR

Hi all,

After a bit of Air Con help if possible please...

It's been blowing warm for a few months, so thought it best to get it checked out. I've had it re-gassed/oiled today as I don't think it's been done for ages - the garage pressure tested it fine then took out 420g and put in 550g of coolant so that should al be ok now.

It still blows warm though unfortunately...

Plugged in VCDS and got the following:

01273 - Fresh Air Blower (V2)

010 - Open or Short to Plus - Intermittent

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/01273

Could it just be that the air con system is creating cold air, but the blowers aren't feeding it into the cabin!?

I took these screenshots just in case...

1. Car idling with AC turned off

post-52548-0-96626100-1304530651_thumb.jpg

2. Car idling with AC turned on (I'm no car whizz but that looks normal?)

post-52548-0-45099900-1304530655_thumb.jpg

3. Increased the engine revs (again looks fine to me?)

post-52548-0-02762200-1304530659_thumb.jpg

4. And another one at idle with different outputs shown... this is with the system set at 5 out of 7 bars 'power' and 'LO', so it should be blowing cold I'd have thought!

post-52548-0-54993900-1304530662_thumb.jpg

I checked through measuring block 11-16 of the HVAC module and all the flaps seem to be working as they should.

One thing to note is that the fans seem to blow a little intermittently - as in they will be on ful tilt, then back off a bit, then surge back to full power (and repeat). Could be something to do with the intermittent short causing the fault code? Cleared that and it hasn't come back by the way...

Anyway - many thanks in advance for any pointers! Although maybe I have answered my own question...? If so, where do I need to start looking!?

Cheers!

Adam

• 1 year later...

Bit of a major bump - but re-investigating this now!

The compressor still seems to work (it goes from 0 to 1000rpm when the climate control is turned on and a load is shown), but I can't get it to blow cold:

I've reset the flaps (08 HVAC - Basic Settings 04 - Group 1 - Go) and they now work great, no errors have come back either.

If anyone has any ideas for what to try next, they would be most appreciated.

Many thanks,

Adam

The compressor control is being instructed to operate at maximum displacement (current >= 0.8) but the load (should be > 4.5Nm) and pressure (should be 14-16 bar) are too low. The compressor or N280 (part of the compressor) seems to be faulty.

Hook up the system to a manifold gauge set or a/c station to confirm.

Yeah that's the Delphi compressor, replacement is a Sanden unit.

I'd agree with above, looks like the compressor could well be faulty. If there is internal damage to the compressor that should be changed and the system should be flushed and the drier replaced.

• 11 months later...

Have a look at the A/C pulley, if its the type with the Torx screw in the middle it may have wound itself out. A common fault

Ressurecting the thread as I have a fault on mine now and it has the Sanden compressor with the torx-head bolt in the middle.

I'm thinking I have a dead compressor but when you say the bolt winds itself out do you mean all the way or just loosen?

It looks like the bolt is in place though

I've checked and it's got the Delphi compressor, not the Sanden one, in it and it does have the Torx head bolt but it's completely tight.

There is full voltage going to the compressor.

It looks like I've got a dead compressor :(