Software upgrade to ParkAssist 2.0 possible?

The "new" VW Passat can be ordered with "Park Assist 2.0" - that also can perform reverse parking into a space at 90 degrees to the kerb.

My Superb has what I suppose can be called "Park Assist 1.0" - and can therefore only parallel park the car. Btw, this is not for me, just the Mrs ;-)

(I guess they all say that, right...?)

So I wonder; since all the sensors and stuff is already there - shouldn't it be possible to do a software upgrade and get Park Assist 2.0 on the Superb as well??

But I guess no VW dealer would be willing to do this anyway...?

What do you recon?

• 4 months later...

Do they both have 4 sensors or does the Passat have 6?

ie ones further round towards front of car, perhaps on the side bumper?

Not sure about the Passat, but the Superb with Park Assist has 6 sensors at the front and 4 at the rear,

Hi!

Don't know if PA1 can be upgraded or not but i think it's up to the the "political will" at the VW: headquarters to not let Skoda be "to good". They probably want their own Passats or whatever to have an edge or two in front of the Skodas.

In short: I'm sure that they have made it "impossible" to upgrade PA1 to PA2 without "upgrading" the car to a VW one.

But thats my thinking... :think:

/Superbjoser

• 1 month later...

The "new" VW Passat can be ordered with "Park Assist 2.0" - that also can perform reverse parking into a space at 90 degrees to the kerb.

My Superb has what I suppose can be called "Park Assist 1.0" - and can therefore only parallel park the car. Btw, this is not for me, just the Mrs ;-)

(I guess they all say that, right...?)

So I wonder; since all the sensors and stuff is already there - shouldn't it be possible to do a software upgrade and get Park Assist 2.0 on the Superb as well??

But I guess no VW dealer would be willing to do this anyway...?

What do you recon?

Can I ask a related question? Does anyone know if it is possible to upgrade the Park Assist fitted to the hatchback to the version fitted to the estate? The software in my hatchback will only park in one reverse motion (and then returns control to the driver) - whereas the later software in the estate reverses and then drives forward (and I assume fits into a smaller space).

• 3 weeks later...

My 58 reg hatch does back and forwards fine.

That's interesting - your 58 reg, like my 59 reg, came out before the Estate model, which was when the Park Assist changed to forwards and backwards mode. So have you had a dealer upgrade to your firmware? My Park Assist definitely reverses into the space and then hands control back to me. Does yours asks you to engage forward gear and continue to steer?

And I ask again, is this an upgrade available from a dealer?

My 58-plate Superb II Elegance 170 DSG reverses into the space it identifies. When the sensors indicate the limit of reverse travel has been reached, I select "D" without having touched the steering wheel at all. The car will then move forward, straightening itself out to be in line with the foremost vehicle. It will stop steering for you if you touch the steering wheel by the slightest amount, which can be difficult to avoid, just out of habit. :)

Ray

That's interesting - your 58 reg, like my 59 reg, came out before the Estate model, which was when the Park Assist changed to forwards and backwards mode. So have you had a dealer upgrade to your firmware? My Park Assist definitely reverses into the space and then hands control back to me. Does yours asks you to engage forward gear and continue to steer?

And I ask again, is this an upgrade available from a dealer?

Nope, no firmware upgrade. Tested it again yesterday and it works just like Argee posted a couple of posts ago.

I very rarely use it at all, but its great to show various relatives and the kids think its very "night rider" that the car can park itself.