M.O.T FAILURE

Well what a quality friday 13th today has been my vrs failed its M.O.T today on one headlight being out of line now bare in mind I took it to skoda 2 weeks ago who took it to the M.O.T Station they use to rectify the problem, on their return the mechanic told the service mgr that the garage had adjusted it the best they can :S so off i went on my merry way .

Today the car was taken to another M.O.T station where it turned out that the motor in the headligh for the adjustment setting ? has packed in they have managed to adjust the light manually and PASS my car now the query I have is will this fall under warranty because yes its that time where the warranty is nearly up .

Now my point to put across to my local dealer where I had the car from is that it was M.O.T'd & taxed before I picked it up so surely the warranty is still valid ?

Has anyone ever had this happen to them cheers :thumbup::thumbup:

Tried all day to gey hold of the garage but could not get through so I have to wait till monday :S :'(

Let me get this straight, a mechanic from your Skoda dealer took your car to their regualr MOT test station and then let the local test centre spanner monkey fudge the headlight adjuster?

The fact that they have already acknowldged that they "adjusted it the best they can" would suggest that the Skoda mechanic knew something was wrong. He should have therefore fixed it under warranty back at the Skoda workshop before handing you the car back.

I don't understand why then you have had to take it to another MOT test centre, surely Skoda would have made sure it pased before giving you it back?

Either way, I can't see how the headlight adjuster wouldn't be covered under warranty...

Let me get this straight, a mechanic from your Skoda dealer took your car to their regualr MOT test station and then let the local test centre spanner monkey fudge the headlight adjuster?

The fact that they have already acknowldged that they "adjusted it the best they can" would suggest that the Skoda mechanic knew something was wrong. He should have therefore fixed it under warranty back at the Skoda workshop before handing you the car back.

I don't understand why then you have had to take it to another MOT test centre, surely Skoda would have made sure it pased before giving you it back?

Either way, I can't see how the headlight adjuster wouldn't be covered under warranty...

cheers its ongoin with things up with the car , the only person that helped was the salesman who no longer works for them :thumbdown: will update the outcome on monday thanks

It.ll be under warranty. Go to a different dealer if they won't play ball or log a call with skoda UK.

if its under warranty why is it having an MOT?

I would imagine he's doing the sensible thing and having the mot done before the warranty expires ;)

I suspect the headlight aim was out, and the local dealer took the car to a MOT place to have the alignment corrected before the actual MOT was carried out.

My Superb is due its first MOT in september, and I'll be booking it in to be done 4 weeks before its due, that way if it fails then any work can be done before the warranty runs out. You can MOT the car upto 4 weeks before its due and have the MOT start on the scheduled date, effectively giving you 13 months before the next one is due.

I suspect the headlight aim was out, and the local dealer took the car to a MOT place to have the alignment corrected before the actual MOT was carried out.

My Superb is due its first MOT in september, and I'll be booking it in to be done 4 weeks before its due, that way if it fails then any work can be done before the warranty runs out. You can MOT the car upto 4 weeks before its due and have the MOT start on the scheduled date, effectively giving you 13 months before the next one is due.

It's also a good idea to check every electrical item, all aircon settings, all seat positions, steering wheel adjust, power windows, sunroof, all locks work with key, all ICE settings and all driving modes. Many of the items, such as rear power windows don't get used on a daily basis - particularly on a 'driver only' car.

If the car is still under new car warranty and the headlamp adjustment motor has failed then the motor should be replaced under warranty. I can't see an after market warranty company covering it.

Quite likley that the adjustment issue was noticed on the test and rectified by the tester, possibly without any charge to the customer, to avoid the inconvenience of taking it away for repair and booking another slot for a retest. Likely the same monkey who is putting his name on an official document of road worthiness for the vehicle.

Still don't understand why the OP would have it MOTed twice.

12month approved used car warranty from skoda?

Would have had an mot before he bought it and now motd it before it expires.

12month approved used car warranty from skoda?

Would have had an mot before he bought it and now motd it before it expires.

Bang on ! My car is an 06 plate hence the M.O.T but when the dealer took it to there approved m.o.t station the work that was carried out was "the best they could do" presumably because it was a freebie. I took it to a different M.O.T station because i have used said place in the past who failed my old car on headlights when it had a morette headlight conversion on it when I bought it plus £59.00 for an M.O.T seemed a bit steep . So when monday arrives a trip to the stealers is on the cards :thumbup: to see what they say .

check the t&c, repairs for mot passes might not be covered.

nice one :thumbup:

will try my luck when I go in too see them so fingers crossed. luckily it didnt cost to much to rectify but the M.O.T station it would definitely need replacing, god knows what I would have to buy if they don't play ball I presume its another front unit is it ?????? :'(

Edited by Rockatansky

If one headlight was out of adjustment then it can be manually adjusted using levers on the back of the headlight.

The electric motor adjustment adjusts both headlights down for when the car is loaded.

Maybe one of the motors is stuck in the down position and the MOT tester has had to compensate with manual adjustment?

Either way then this should be covered under your extended warranty.

If one headlight was out of adjustment then it can be manually adjusted using levers on the back of the headlight.

The electric motor adjustment adjusts both headlights down for when the car is loaded.

Maybe one of the motors is stuck in the down position and the MOT tester has had to compensate with manual adjustment?

Either way then this should be covered under your extended warranty.

Thanks Buddy :thumbup:

Bang Bang ! :thumbdown::doh::doh::doh:

Warranty ran out on the 13th May DOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH so therefor to get it replaced by Skoda its 140.00 but the dealership will offer 10% discount due to the confusion as on the system it has it down that I was issued the car on the 19th of may 2010 ?????

anyhow found one on Ebay brand new with motor £60.00 plus p&p I presume they are just plug n play by replacing the whole light unit and the connector on the back of the unit ?

Bang Bang ! :thumbdown::doh::doh::doh:

Warranty ran out on the 13th May DOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH so therefor to get it replaced by Skoda its 140.00 but the dealership will offer 10% discount due to the confusion as on the system it has it down that I was issued the car on the 19th of may 2010 ?????

anyhow found one on Ebay brand new with motor £60.00 plus p&p I presume they are just plug n play by replacing the whole light unit and the connector on the back of the unit ?

well really the fact it ran out on 13th is irrelevant as the monkey tech at the Skoda garage 'adjusted as best he could' well before that date so must have know there was a fault with it then and raised it. I would be demanding that it is done under warranty tbh.

Just noticed that you're in staffs, not Autosales per chance?

Edited by jrw

well really the fact it ran out on 13th is irrelevant as the monkey tech at the Skoda garage 'adjusted as best he could' well before that date so must have know there was a fault with it then and raised it. I would be demanding that it is done under warranty tbh.

What's autosales fella ? (ooops is it me bein thick) :rofl:

Did try that today when I spoke to em but as the work was carried out as gesture of goodwill and not recorded I don't have a leg to stand on unfortunately ! The Only other option is to send in THE WIFE !!!!!!!!!!!!! When it goes in for the Coil Pack Recall :giggle: