Aftermarket GPS/DVD/Radio Head Unit option for Yeti ?

Zelig87

The Yeti hasn't been released here in Australia (hopefully by September) so we don't know what sort of trim levels and options etc will be offered, nor what the prices will be.

However, if GPS Satellite Navigation ends up being a $3k option like it is with the VW Tiguan here in Australia, could this unit be an option ?

Road Emperor Volkswagen Edition - In Dash Car DVD With 3G Internet (WIFI, 2DIN, GPS, DVB-T)

I could easily do without the 3G or WIFI capability for an even cheaper price, but regardless it is still a good deal.

It doesn't mention the Yeti specifically (Yeti is not avail in China yet either), but I am assuming it will fit the same as a Tiguan ?

I have bought 2 separate GPS/DVD headunits from Chinavasion in the last 6 months and both were delivered within 5 days (via DHL). One was a gift, but the other sits in my Suzuki Swift and works great.

I know, you get what you pay for (cheap quality to match the cheap price), but so far I've had no problems. YMMV. My unit cost me less than AUD$600 delivered and installed.

The best thing about these units is that they let you run whatever GPS Nav software you want by just putting your preferred NAV program on the SD card and telling the unit the name of the EXE file to run.

I have run TomTom, iGO8 and iGO Primo all successfully on my unit, using the latest maps.

Any thoughts on this unit in a Yeti ?

Edited by Zelig87

mmmm Windows CE operating system... no thanks!

I had a Pioneer Unit in my pervious car, and loved it, BUT, the integration of the Columbus unit, is excellent! - for around £600 GBP you'll be able to pick up a 2nd hand Skoda unit; this would be my choice.

Al.

I dont see why not, im about to get one myself :D

Some of them are terrible and one or two of them are very good, so do your research ;)

I am still trying to find out the Bluetooth specs on the Road Emperor Volkswagen edition as I would like to know if it supports A2DP Music Streaming. The unit in my Suzuki Swift does and it is a feature I use regularly.

The deep integration of the Columbus is obviously a plus, but I also like the flexibility of being able to choose your own Nav program and get the latest maps easily.

Edited by Zelig87