Smokey vRS TDi

Once again i'm having a few issues with my vRS. I had the DPF removed a few months back with the associated re-map and i've been dogged with various issues since then. Most have been rectified but one of them keeps coming back and now I have a new issue. The exhaust light kept coming on then going off a few days later and that was put down to a duff Lambda sensor. (in the next few weeks after the light would occasionally come on then go out) The car was ok for quite a few weeks but last time I was on leave it came on and stayed on. But i'm getting some physical symptoms now along with the light. The car has been emmitting some white smoke, nothing serious, just noticible at idle. Then I was getting a random hesitation (felt like a missfire) at about 3k - 4k rpm at a constant throttle at 30 - 40 MPH. This didn't happen very often though.

Since then things are getting worse. I'm back in Saudi now but Gem told me yesterday that she was sitting in traffic in Lincoln and there was ALOT of white smoke coming out of the exhaust and when she put the clutch in there was quite alot of vibration from the engine. The car feels like it is ever so slightly down in power aswell. I've checked the coolant and all is ok as i initially thought the white smoke might be caused by coolant loss into the cylinders.

For info only: Car failed it's emmisions test a few weeks ago (exhaust light on at the time). Passed a week later after a blast, some millers and the light NOT being on).

Full cambelt change a few weeks ago (exhaust light off at the time, but came back on and stayed on a week later. Still on till this day)

Car fully serviced with long-life oil at recommended intervals and serviced a few months ago with full oil change.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Fitz.

How old is the car? Mileage? And who did the dpf delete and remap

Hello mate,

The car is an 07 plate with 64000 miles on it. The DPF delete and remap was carried out by Jabbasport along with the last service and cambelt change.

Regards,

fitz

No remap should make white smoke, or really bath black smoke for that matter.

I think it´s the remap that is making this.

What if the original remap was put in, I think everything would be fine.

I think it´s the remap that is making this.

What if the original remap was put in, I think everything would be fine.

He can't do that - he's had the dpf removed.

The car hasn't always been like this so I would find it unlikely that the MAP is the issue. If it was wouldn't it have done this from day 1 of the new MAP. And as Nick says I can't re-install the old MAP as the car would go into limp home straight away.

Could be a regeneration cycle (edit - so yes it could be the map). Does it also stink like paraffin, or at least that's what I think it smells like?

Could be a regeneration cycle (edit - so yes it could be the map). Does it also stink like paraffin, or at least that's what I think it smells like?

I can see where your coming from Ben but i've done several thousand miles since it's been mapped so wouldn't it have done it before now? I'm not sure it's a parafin smell as it's been along time since i've smelt parafin. It isn't a nice smell tho. Could a diagnostic tool such as VCDS tell wether it was doing a regen cycle?

Cheers,

fitz.

• 5 weeks later...

I would also be interested in what you find to be causing the white smoke issue as i have the same problem. It normally happens in traffic after moving slowly for a few miles. Oil and water are fine, car has had a remap and DPF removal by ben at shark, so i doubt it is the map.

Im going to through this one in the mix [although i have no idea] but ive followed a diesel saab in the past and all of a sudden loads of white smoke came out of the exhaust, isnt this a sure sign of a blown turbo???

Your white smoke could be the turbo on its way out????

I stand corrected if i am completely off the mark.

I would also be interested in what you find to be causing the white smoke issue as i have the same problem. It normally happens in traffic after moving slowly for a few miles. Oil and water are fine, car has had a remap and DPF removal by ben at shark, so i doubt it is the map.

X2

I am also having the same problem! My car has had the dpf delete, but I haven't don the remap. Have been driving without the dpf since Christmas.