adjustments needed: European Car

I'm not sure if it's legal or possible to have a vehicle registered in two countries at the same time. They might check and refuse registration in the UK if the VIN is registered elsewhere, in which case the car might have to stay off the road for a few days without plates, but if they don't I guess as long as the original plates are returned the same day or the next it's a victimless crime.

Another weird thing that I've been told by numerous sources is that the DVLA seems to interpret the law and EC directive for free movement of cars and people rather liberally.

Their interpretation is that if someone is a visitor, they can drive with foreign plates for up to 6 months in a 12 month period, however if he intends to stay for more than 6 months must register the car immediately upon arrival!

This doesn't make any sense at all, and I've confirmed that at least Germany and Greece give you up to 6 months to register when you move there. Worst case, I go and have a croissant at Calais before I go to the DVLA.

Looking forward to hearing what other people that have done this might have to say... I'm waiting for a quote from Skoda for a complete instrument cluster replacement and received my information pack from DVLA with all the forms that have to be filled.

if you need a new cluster is it worth making sure you get the original one back so you can swap it back if needed on return oversea's?

if you need a new cluster is it worth making sure you get the original one back so you can swap it back if needed on return oversea's?

Unlike the headlamps, the instrument cluster is not something that I could quickly swap on the ferry for a weekend in France...

The Skoda dealer quoted me £100+VAT for the job and I can't see why a Skoda dealer shouldn't be able to swap my old one back when I (or the car!) moves back to the continent.

Good point though, I should ask just to be sure.

• 4 weeks later...

I've turned up this interesting thread, but my problem is the opposite one, of trying to make myself properly legal on French roads!

My garage has looked at my Roomster headlights and says there is nothing to alter the beams, so presumably my car is too new? Would older Roomster headlights fit the newer model if I could find some? (Flat beams are apparently OK for the French Controle Technique Fitting new headlights in France seems an expensive prospect (or can they be done DiY?). It's not really the cost I resent, so much as the fact that the French dealership we went to with another problem was very slow to do the job!

I've turned up this interesting thread, but my problem is the opposite one, of trying to make myself properly legal on French roads!

My garage has looked at my Roomster headlights and says there is nothing to alter the beams, so presumably my car is too new? Would older Roomster headlights fit the newer model if I could find some? (Flat beams are apparently OK for the French Controle Technique Fitting new headlights in France seems an expensive prospect (or can they be done DiY?). It's not really the cost I resent, so much as the fact that the French dealership we went to with another problem was very slow to do the job!

Be careful, when I change mine over for Europe, I get a large shadow on the left-hand side of the car.

For the lights i went to a Skoda dealer in South Kent and the job was done in a few minutes and i was given a paper with instructions to do it myself next time if needed (this was for going from the uk to the continent). Other garages told me that it was not possible, so look around.

Then you've got the other problems.

First of all you should have plenty of time before you change your number plates, you have one year if you go from Britain to the continent before you must change your plates, so i suppose you should have some time before you do the same here.Insurance companies used to cover vehicles with foreign plates for one year.

In the mean time i would think about selling the car and buying another one in the uk.

After all if you go and check the prices for second hand left hand drive for sale in the uk, you will see that they are much more expensive than the equivalent rhd and this should mean that there is a market for them.

Hi,

I know we can return the plates at the German consulate in London.

Does it make any sense, to de-register the car in advance? I mean: isn't it your problem if you pay twice taxes and insurance?

What I was definitely told is that we need some original papers from the old insurance confirming our risk class.

Laura

There is no need to be in a hurry as you are.

The law say that you have got six months to stay with your foreign plates and do absolutely nothing.

Take your time and think about all your options before you start messing with your car.

Are people saying that all conventional Roomster lights (conventional as opposed to projector lights) can be switched?Interesting: my garage are normally pretty good on these things, and they rang Skoda HQ and were told that it couldn't be done!

In the mean time i would think about selling the car and buying another one in the uk.

After all if you go and check the prices for second hand left hand drive for sale in the uk, you will see that they are much more expensive than the equivalent rhd and this should mean that there is a market for them.

Having driven in France quite a lot in the rhd Skoda I am sticking with rhd, thank you. As far as I can recall, every French road accident I've seen has involved an lhd car fetching up in the ditch on the right hand side! I'm a patient overtaker and can bide my time, but those pesky ditches are there wherever you go!

Are people saying that all conventional Roomster lights (conventional as opposed to projector lights) can be switched?Interesting: my garage are normally pretty good on these things, and they rang Skoda HQ and were told that it couldn't be done!

I can't say about the conventional lights but, on the projector lights, remove the rubber cover on the back iof the lights and you'll find a silver lever. Just move that lever and the lights are changed over.

• 2 weeks later...

Jonny5ive, I have just bought a 2011 Roomster se, and I believe it has projector headlights, where would the change lever be? It states in the handbook to use a dealer to change beam direction, as I will be driving at night in UK to the ferry, and vice versa on my return from my holiday, that's a bit pointless. It would be much safer done at the port. Cheers,

John.

I have a 2011 1.6TDI SE and it has NO adjuster levers on the back of the Halogen Projector lights. I was told by a dealer that Beam deflectors could not be fitted and that the adjustment would have to be made by a Skoda garage. I was concerned that having been adjusted I would be driving for a short while in the UK with lights dipping the wrong way. Skoda Customer services said that this was OK. This advice is WRONG!!!. Having check with the local Police they said that the car would be illegal in the same way as it would be if you drove in France with a UK setting on the lights.If stopped you will be liable for a fine. Big dilemma!. When I chucked this back at SKODA they went away and then confirmed that I was correct and conceded that Beam deflectors can be fitted to the Halogen Projector lights. THEY CANNOT BE FITTED TO XENON LIGHTS according to Skoda so what one would do in this case I don't know. The EUROLITE beam deflectors that I have now purchased do claim to be OK for the Roomster Halogen Projector lights and have a fitting chart covering this model. Don't buy them from Halfords because they charge about 2 quid more than anyone else; there are plenty available on the web.

Edited by roomsterfan

No lever under the rubber dust cover on the rear of the headlight unit??

I notice you're in Leicestershire.... whereabouts?

South of Mkt Harborough. I see that you are not that far away. Unfortunately I am off on hols on Friday hence the need to get it sorted urgently. I now have the beam deflectors but would like to check out about the adjusters for future ref. I had a really good look and didnt see anything obvious that I could actually move. I didn't want to poke about too much in case I broke something. When I get back I will maybe have another look. If it is possible to post Photos on the forum I can get a piccie of what I can see.