Standard or Modified?

Modified or Standard  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Whats best?

• Buy a partly modified car
    • Buy standard and start from scratch

Tonight I sold the my beautiful car, a very sad day for me :'( but, it's now time to move on and look for a new motor.

Interested on a GOLF GTI 240bhp originally tuned by ABT, but I can't get many details on it, so, the Fabia seems the most likely next car but, what best? Buy one partly modified or a standard one and start from scratch?(providing that all the checks and history are fine)

The plan for the fabia would be: handling upgrades, turbo and engine upgrades to reach 200+ bhp and new bigger brakes.

A well modified one (I'd want proof it wasn't built by a cowboy in a shed) done by a reputable company will save you a fortune IMO.

Some home made modified cars are good, but the fact is you don't really know... unless you know the history of the vehicle.

If you want big power, brakes and suspension up to handling the power you can easily spend more than the car cost. And it's all money you'll never recover. It's not an investment, it's feeding money in one end and getting fun out the other.

Good fun though. B)

I'm hoping 1K for the turbo (PD150 or hybrid) and remap, £600 for the handling side, £400 for the clutch and not sure on brakes yet. Does it sound realistic?

I'm hoping 1K for the turbo (PD150 or hybrid) and remap, £600 for the handling side, £400 for the clutch and not sure on brakes yet. Does it sound realistic?

Have a read of this thread when you have time: http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/177955-project-stage-3-hybrid-fabia-vrs-2401bhp-3212ftlb/

It's good and shows what kind of money you'll be looking at.

If you want 200+ bhp I think you're being a little optimistic. But I always use new parts and get the work done by a garage.

No sorry mate this is what I've spent without fitting.

660 for the performance clutch

550 for a cat back exhaust and remap ( you can pay just this for a remap from some company's.

The new brakes 312 are 250 for the disks about 100 for the pads and another 100 for the carriers.

I can't remember how much my koni strt kit cost but that and my rear anti roll bar costs bout 500.

Pd160 intake 90ish plus 30 for the filter

Insurance price increase about 300 quid extra

What I want to spend next

1000 for the turbo plus 300-400 to fit

Fmic 730

Thanks guys, good reality check :thumbup:

CT17 - Selling the car tonight meant loosing 3K in upgrades as I stupidly sold the original part and the cart sold quicker than I tough (good lesson for the future)

James- Thank you for the break down, I definitely under estimated the costs, if I can find a good car for around 4K that would give me 2K to start the mods and slowly finish the project

Just buy an Ibiza cupra pd160. Already has brakes, suspension, fmic, bigger turbo and intake pipe. Simple remap will give you 180-190bhp. If you want that extra 10-20bhp send the turbo off to be rebuilt with a bigger compressor.

I'm guessing the insurance will be cheaper too and better re-sale value.

Just buy an Ibiza cupra pd160. Already has brakes, suspension, fmic, bigger turbo and intake pipe. Simple remap will give you 180-190bhp. If you want that extra 10-20bhp send the turbo off to be rebuilt with a bigger compressor.

I'm guessing the insurance will be cheaper too and better re-sale value.

Ibiza cupra pd160 cheaper than fabia vrs pd130 on insurance? I think pd160 is group 16 iirc. Else the vrs would be a much less popular car!

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/159667-fabia-vrs-or-ibiza-cupra/

I would much rather get a modified one from the get go if I were wanting to bring the fabia to 220+bhp. Im sure the cost of FMIC/clutch/turbo plus fitting would really put me off. rectifying potential faults will cost less, it will be less personal but im sure you can change all that in time. It will also be less likely to be cowboy if it was bought from one of the members on here (which you can sometimes see a build thread/story/blog) :)

Ibiza cupra pd160 cheaper than fabia vrs pd130 on insurance? I think pd160 is group 16 iirc. Else the vrs would be a much less popular car!

For old school group the fabia is a 9 so yes when standard it would be cheaper. When modded the Ibiza will probably be cheaper.

For old school group the fabia is a 9 so yes when standard it would be cheaper. When modded the Ibiza will probably be cheaper.

Oic where your coming from now.

Think adm needs to think if the fabia is little on the calm side if the alternative was a modded gti.

I bought one because I wanted grunt similar to hot hatches but v good economy. What do you want out of your next car adm?

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Min hasnt cost the earth, luckily i fit all the stuff myself so save on that.7

Car brought for 4.5k Already had pd150 turbo, Sachs clutch, and remap by jabbasport.

I then Kw V1's for £550 or thereabouts

superpro Dogbone mount £50

Forge Rear Brace £90

Forge Front Mount £200 quid used

Redstuff pads all round£100

Rtec front discs £50

ATE front calipers £50 used

Tarox Dot4 Race fluid £20

Stage 2 Map £300

Miltek Sports Cat £150 nearly new

Mufflerrectomy £100 inc with fitting sports cat

so thats £1660 for a pretty sorted car running just over 200bhp, really out of that you can leave the exhaust as you dont really need to change it, the only thing i paid someone to do was the exhaust on mine, obviously your have to add a fair bit if your paying people to fit stuff

Oic where your coming from now.

:)

I think if it was me I'd like to do all the mods myself for a couple of reasons. I like doing it, you know if any corners have been cut, if the change actually makes it better or worse etc.

Also as the vRS is getting on now, it's easier to find second hand parts.

so thats £1660 for a pretty sorted car running just over 200bhp, really out of that you can leave the exhaust as you dont really need to change it, the only thing i paid someone to do was the exhaust on mine, obviously your have to add a fair bit if your paying people to fit stuff

that's cool, but it's not far off the same again for an uprated Sachs clutch and hybrid turbo. even more if you go SMF :doh:

For the past 2 years I've run a car which was great fun to drive but a combined 22mpg. I'm now looking for a fun car with at least 35mpg.

Buying something with a PD150 already in it could be a valid option, unless you want to sell your? ;)

PMs replied :thumbup:

For the past 2 years I've run a car which was great fun to drive but a combined 22mpg. I'm now looking for a fun car with at least 35mpg.

Buying something with a PD150 already in it could be a valid option, unless you want to sell your? ;)

PMs replied :thumbup:

MPG is not an issue with a tuned fabia.

Picked up mine today an it's well over 200bhp, yet I still averaged 57mpg on the drive home with a little play...

How could you want more? Fun, power and economy! :D

Right, I've narrowed down the search to 2 cars, both 05 and 70K 290bhp 300 torque, one within budget a PD130 Hybrid and stage 2 the other one just over budget but with an Hybrid 150 stage 2 which makes me think that that engine has yet been tuned to is potential.

Both cars have the right paperwork and the main difference that the one with the PD130 has been looked after by Unit 18 while the one with the PD150 has been tuned somewhere which I haven't heard off (Viezu? Not much on google either)

Wanting to fit an Hybrid 150 in the future anyway, the car over budget make more sense as I would only have to change the map to suit my needs/style, however the one with an PD130 is a known car and safer option but will need £1500 worth of turbo, anti roll bars, FMIC and coils which would make the total cost a lot higher in the long term.

I'm trying to get someone not "emotionally involved" to give me afresh point of view

Thanks

I may be classed as emotionally involved but once a turbo has had the hybrid treatment be it a 130 or 150 they can be identical after, it's what has been replaced internally not how it started life, just something to consider

Your answer doesn't count as you are emotionally involved :rofl: (only joking of course)

What do you mean with "what has been replaced internally"? I though a PD150 would have produced/support more power as it's a bigger component.

really need need to do more research on turbo engine.......

BTW do you have an update? Less than a week without a car and I'm getting withdraws :doh: