Skoda dealer's worrying idea

willskoda

I didn't really know where to post this but I had to tell! Whilst waiting for my car to be finished in the garage yesterday I heard a saleswoman talking to a guy at the service desk. The conversation went along these lines

Sales "I've just brought a customers Roomster over from York, he has a seatbelt exemption certificate, can the seat belt warning be turned off, cos it'll bong the whole time he's driving?"

Service "Err... right... get him to cut the clip off the seatbelt and just leave it plugged in"

WTF?????

:o

It could be a ruse by the dealer to suss out as to whether you are a forum member or not, either that or the service man wanted the saleswoman to get nicked for not wearing a belt when returning the car.

It was just me listening in to another conversation but I was literally shocked at what I was hearing. I almost wanted to go up to her and say, "Give me his details and I'll get someone who knows what they're doing to sort it instead of you lot trying to ruin his car and making it an MOT failure before it's even started"

And these are the same guys who told you centre caps and badges de-lamination are wear and tear not covered by warranty :dull: we know better Will :thumbup:

Based on this and your service experience - use another dealer!

Shocking advice really. There's the diagnostics approach, or even pulling the plug for seatbelt warning out under the seat, before you'd get anywhere near thinking of something like that! And even then you'd find a seatbelt buckle from another scrapped car if the other two options weren't available...... emoticon-0108-speechless.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Exactly. I only go there because it's up the road and I get a nice shiny Skoda stamp in the book!

Personally, I wouldn't let those so called "technicians" touch my pride and joy if they dispense advice like that.

God only knows what they could get up to under the bonnet!

what's wrong with just pulling out the centre rear belt and plugging it in?

Because the alarm is only connected to the driver's belt...

Unless of course you meant to plug it in to the driver's socket, which in hindsight of course you did! Doubt the belt would reach that far. Still daft solution though relative to the other options.

Because the alarm is only connected to the driver's belt...

Unless of course you meant to plug it in to the driver's socket, which in hindsight of course you did! Doubt the belt would reach that far. Still daft solution though relative to the other options.

You changed your sign in name, weren't you big c :thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...

i can just remember before the seat belt law was introduced a freind had a volvo estate with an annoying buzzer and warning light his answer was to do the belt up behind the seat.....worked for him and will of course still pass the mot.....shocking advise :thumbdown:

• Like 1